• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Baltimore Convention 2018
3 3

129 posts in this topic

Just now, ygogolak said:

Yes, you can only sell what you have. I'm saying, walk around a con of this size and look who is there. Tons of people go to ogle comics, meet artists, get toys, etc... There are many different types of stands for different people. And there are plenty of people who can't image spending a couple hundred dollars on a book and especially not thousands. Look at the map and list of exhibitors. Many more of the other booths than there are comic dealers.

Would be interesting to see the split amongst comic buyers. Not talking about general con attendees but comic book attending buyers. 

3 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Would be interesting to see the split amongst comic buyers. Not talking about general con attendees but comic book attending buyers. 

I agree. They probably had 15,000 - 20,000 attendees? And how many people to do you have a transaction with. Maybe 200?

36 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Just an fyi but I didn't exactly start out with the inventory I have now.  Took years of paying my dues,  buying and selling and learning.  There are a number of guys out there moaning that they can't make money because all they want are home runs and think that buying keys is the way to go.  Home run's are nice to have but that is not how you make money in the comic business.  

I was told years ago by a dealer that "I'm not in business to make you money".  So if you want to build your business buying from auction houses and other dealers you should have a lot of money and work on thin margins.

You also need to be right a lot more times then you can be wrong.  And everyone will make mistakes.   

I think the disconnect for many (like 1cool) is long term vs short term. You're definitely in this for the long term, your approach suggests that. I think 1cool is probably more short term, doesn't see himself doing this for the rest of his life whereas for you this is how you make your living.

I've thought the same for years (short term, one more year etc) but I've been doing this now for 5+ years. I may need to change my mindset and start thinking long term. This year has been one of my best. I'm successful now but I maybe more successful long term if I made some slight adjustments.

I am not really sure what the younger generation dealer is thinking and I'm not trying to come off as the elder statesman.

If you want to make money in the hobby you can go it alone or you can partner with somebody who brings something to the table YOU don't.  

You don't have to be the BIGGEST or the CHEAPEST to make money.  Your reputation is everything,  it can take 5 minutes to ruin years of a good reputation.  This hobby is very small and frankly you really don't want a bad reputation.  

I have a few partners I do deals with.  They all bring something to the table.  If you don't bring something to the table why would I partner with you?

Put your fragile little ego aside.  If you a one of those prima donna's who thinks he doesn't need anybody,  think again.  There is always a deal bigger then you.  There is nothing more satisfying or gives you self confidence then knowing you have the capital to buy any deal.  Doesn't mean you win them all but at least you get to play.

Edited by blazingbob

22 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I agree. They probably had 15,000 - 20,000 attendees? And how many people to do you have a transaction with. Maybe 200?

That’s probably a little High but I haven’t recapped. But there were at least 20-30? Silver and Golden age inventory dealers there, so if everyone did even 25-50 transactions not duplicated (absolutely there is duplication ) then there was probably 10-15% Of total attendees buying gold or silver. 

But of those 15,000-20,000 attendees I suspect well less than a half (maybe 25%) are there for just Comics. So “if”  that’s the situation , % of vintage buyers could be well over 50%?

just speculating , I could be way off 

Edited by G.A.tor

20 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Can’t believe I didn’t have anything that caught your eye :baiting:

I think anyone who truly loves GA comics could not help but drool over the display you put up.

If a GA collector passed your booth and something did not catch his/her eye, then I would be forced to conclude that collector was blind.   

20 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I think the disconnect for many (like 1cool) is long term vs short term. You're definitely in this for the long term, your approach suggests that. I think 1cool is probably more short term, doesn't see himself doing this for the rest of his life whereas for you this is how you make your living.

I've thought the same for years (short term, one more year etc) but I've been doing this now for 5+ years. I may need to change my mindset and start thinking long term. This year has been one of my best. I'm successful now but I maybe more successful long term if I made some slight adjustments.

I would agree.  Bob is definetely a full time dealer and put his full energy into doing it to the best of his ability (ie web site, killer booth) where as this is a part time gig for me.  I put about 40-45 hours in to my full time job so I usually try to limit comic stuff to 15-20 hours a week.  It’s been very successful as a side hustle but I don’t see make it a full time job anytime soon.

Hector - what do you mean by making the long term switch?  Setting up a web site?  Expanding your advertising expenses?  Expanding your inventory in stock rather then doing yearly blowouts?

5 minutes ago, Hudson said:

I think anyone who truly loves GA comics could not help but drool over the display you put up.

If a GA collector passed your booth and something did not catch his/her eye, then I would be forced to conclude that collector was blind.   

He could still tap at the books with one of them canes-

On 10/1/2018 at 4:58 PM, shortboxed said:

Here's my haul :) 

IMG_20180929_200749_532.jpg

What an awesome cross-section of material! Only thing missing is a mainstream superhero book...but who’s counting?

I have to agree with others. This show, more than others, really stood out to me given how much quality material was available. The dealers really knocked it out of the park in terms of GA, SA and BA. Next October can’t arrive soon enough :whee:

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:48 PM, blazingbob said:

You don't have to be the BIGGEST or the CHEAPEST to make money.  Your reputation is everything,  it can take 5 minutes to ruin years of a good reputation.  This hobby is very small and frankly you really don't want a bad reputation.  

Bob,

I cannot agree with you MORE that a person's reputation (buyer or seller) is of utmost importance.  I can always make more money; it is a relatively cheap commodity.  My reputation, however, means the world to me. (Please note here that I am a buyer only).  Unfortunately I don't think everyone views it this way (especially a few of the dealers out there).  It never ceases to amaze me how when you talk about certain dealers (Gator, Bedrock, Reese, and some others), that most everyone seems to agree they are stand up guys.  Then there are a few dealers (who I don't know how they stay in business) that when their names get brought up, everyone winces.

How many bad experiences does it take to turn a buyer off to a certain dealer?  Probably not many (if more than one).

I know that when I walked into this year's Baltimore Convention, the first dealer I saw was someone that I had had a bad experience with earlier this year (at the Wonder Con in Florida).  He usually has a nice selection of books (and I have purchased from him in the past), but after my experience in FL, I walked right by (now uninterested in doing ANY further business with this dealer), and a short distance later I was at Gator's booth.  There I saw Rick who is always nice, professional, friendly, and a pleasure to talk with or do business with.

Later I met up with a few other board members and we were discussing dealers in the room.  When I mentioned that I had bypassed that certain dealer, I wasn't completely surprised to find out that I was NOT the only one who had had problems with this same guy.  The experience one other board member had was a LOT worse than mine.  I am not sure how this guy stays in business, but I am guessing that as time moves forward he is losing the business of more and more buyers.  For me, one bad experience is all it takes.

So, Bob, you are correct when you say, "This hobby is very small and frankly you really don't want a bad reputation."