• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Local Comic Shops (Seattle/Tacoma Area)..?

2 posts in this topic

Hey,  I just moved to the Seattle/Tacoma area a couple of months ago and am looking for recommendations for local comic shops.  Preferably one that has large volumes of back issues in silver/bronze/copper eras, and assorted (preferably graded, but not required) keys. Seems like every one I've gone to so far is simply moderns from the last couple of years.  I know I can get what I'm looking for online, but I always preferred buying them in person.  :)  Any suggestions for this area?  I don't mind driving well out of the way for a quality store!

Welcome to the area!!!  I haven't seen many silver/bronze in my hunts.  I'm mostly after copper oddball stuff myself.  Full disclaimer I don't really hit up shops for back-issues anymore, and I'm usually a bargain hunter.  I'd suggest Comics Dungeon on the north end of Seattle first, smaller shop but the owner knows his stuff.  Bel-Kirk east of the lake is ok, but higher priced and pretty dis-organized, I hit there for FCBD this year and didn't find much, don't think I saw any slabs.  I'm in the suburbs north of Seattle, Everett Comics is probably the largest shop between Seattle and Marysville, but not really much from that era. 

There are a number of HPB's in the area and they occasionally have older stuff.  They unfortunately closed the two Seattle locations a few years ago, those were honey-holes.  The remaining stores will occasionally mark everything at NM book value regardless of actual grade, but it never lasts for very long.  They will have several warehouse sales in the summers which I've enjoyed.  Very hit and miss.

I'd definitely hit the Jet City show in November. The Belingham show this month is quite the drive and usually pretty small, I will be going though.  Emerald City was a complete disappointment to me last year, if you're going to try it, get tickets as soon as they go on sale, and don't expect to get a multi-day pass.  ECC does generally have a lot of slabs from the era you're looking for, but fewer local shops and deals every year.

Wish I had something specific to offer, almost all the stores around here are just stocked with what didn't sell new.