• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Staples???

5 posts in this topic

Hello all.  So I purchased an X-Men #1 at San Diego Comic Con and submitted it for grading at CGC.  Just got the book back with a conserved grade.  Come to find out that the staples were replaced which is the reason for the conserved grade.  A person told me of a service where I could have vintage (period correct) staples put back into my comic so I can re=submit to CGC to remove the conserved grade.  First question....Is this true?  MOST IMPORTANTLY....Where can I get this done.  I have been searching and can not find a service that does this vintage staple replacement.  Would love a name of a service so I may contact them right away.  Looking for the best/highly recommended service.  Thanks as always fellow comic brothers and sisters.

The Overstreet Price Guide grading guidelines do not consider replacement of staples with vintage staples to be restoration or conservation.  Professional grading companies (CGC) disagree.  Staples cleaned or replaced - even with vintage staples - will get a conserved notation from CGC. 

17 hours ago, Tony S said:

The Overstreet Price Guide grading guidelines do not consider replacement of staples with vintage staples to be restoration or conservation.  Professional grading companies (CGC) disagree.  Staples cleaned or replaced - even with vintage staples - will get a conserved notation from CGC. 

This is mostly true.

However, I've had several book graded that had one or both staples replaced, and CGC did not notate it. Because at the end of the day if the staple is period and very very close to, or the same exact size as the original, there can be literally no way to know it was replaced. 

2 hours ago, Phill the Governor said:

This is mostly true.

However, I've had several book graded that had one or both staples replaced, and CGC did not notate it. Because at the end of the day if the staple is period and very very close to, or the same exact size as the original, there can be literally no way to know it was replaced. 

If the work was well done and the staples period, I agree with your statement that CGC won't be able to tell just by looking at the staples themselves. However, If CGC sees some residual evidence that the staples were replaced, ie the work was poorly done, they will catch it, period or not.

43 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

If the work was well done and the staples period, I agree with your statement that CGC won't be able to tell just by looking at the staples themselves. However, If CGC sees some residual evidence that the staples were replaced, ie the work was poorly done, they will catch it, period or not.

Edited by Chicago Boy