• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artists sketchbooks (Tim Sale)
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Is there a more appropriate forum for discussing artists sketchbooks than this one?

Anyway, there are a few artists whose sketchbooks I collect and I was looking for checklists.

Tim Sale, for example, is the list below missing any?

2005 Yeah Baby

2006 Pinups

2007 Blues

2008 Heroes Villains Babes

2014 Killing Floor

2015 Killing Floor

About  a dozen  years ago, I wrote an article in the CFA-apa about the proliferation of sketchbooks at shows. At that time, they were starting  to really take off. I had intended to interview Bill Stout, who I think was really the first guy to popularize the idea. He was  doing what were essentially homemade sketchbooks that he had printed himself and sold at shows so fans could have a low price point item with lots of art if they didn't want to buy an original or perhaps more expensive books he had for sale. He actually took the idea and rather than do an interview he  wrote a blog about the genesis of the idea  and let me just publish that verbatim and then I added stuff about how it really blew up (in my opinion) when Adam Hughes, Art Adams, Frank Cho and a few others jumped in with their own versions. I remember chatting with Adam about it and his amazement that he (actually, it was Allison who put them together) could get them done at Kinko's before going to San Diego, make a thousand copies and sell out at the show for 10 bucks apiece,  which was a nice chuck of change back when he sold sketches for 50.00 bucks a pop!! For a while I was pretty gaga about them myself and bought a bunch-they are inexpensive and the quality kept improving and it was fun! Then, of course, like with comics, I ended up with a whoooooole lot of them and storage became an issue, especially since there was no standard size like with comics-some where just folded over 8 1/2 x 11 chapbooks so they were closer to 4 x 5 , some were full 8 1/2 by 11 and others were something different altogether. I still have a lot from that period of 2005-2008 or 9  and I still occasionally buy one from someone I admire if I am not buying art-or more importantly, if I buy a sketch or commission and its in the sketchbook! I just couldn't get my arms around being a completist though.

I somehow found myself occasionally buying them at conventions, maybe because it was a nice gesture to the artist or an inexpensive way to collect my favorite artists’ work.  I now have about 40 or so, and they are all collected on a bookshelf in my spare bedroom.  They are fun to flip through every now and then, but like you said it’s really fun when you get a sketch and then it appears in a future sketchbook which has happened to me once or twice!