• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Thread that No One Demanded: Buzzetta at NYCC 2018
4 4

178 posts in this topic

Every buy something out of spite? 

I mistook this book for the first Winter Soldier for some reason.  Okay... this is the one where Bucky regains his memories... Either way... I am looking at this and the same book in another condition next to it.  The guy to my left starts getting a little charged up because I am looking it over with a friend trying to figure out if I should buy a copy or not.  This guy whether he realized it or not was practically breathing down my neck as he was already looking at other books.  I was going to put it back when the guy starts to reach over to me to take them out of my hands.  

Uh... seriously... I gave him a look and I bought the better of the two just he could not have it.  He made a face.   

If you are a board member here. Shame on you.  You should know better. 

56073705759__FE2AE5FC-56AE-41A1-AD2E-AB6DAA899C8B.JPG

Larry Hama was not at the con until Friday.  Now every year I get to the Friday show at the same time.  Except for when a friend put me on the list I have always been in the 20's in turn for a sketch.  As soon as I got to the show on Friday I went downstairs to Artist Alley and saw that I would be in the #60's.  There was no way I was going to get my annual sketch... Too many people are realizing that at $40 a sketch that price is a steal.

So... I also had another problem.  If you look at my thread from last year I purchased two sketches.  Larry forgot to sign one of them.  How do you get an artist to go along with this?

I brought my mini art binder of Hama sketches.  I showed him the binder and explained that I never sell them on eBay or anything but that he forgot to sign it from last year.  He seemed hesitant at first but then I  thumbed through the binder with him and he laughed and signed last year's sketch with his name and '17. 

I also figured I would get something signed... so I picked up two comics that he had at his table. 

The book in the middle was a variant of the new Snake Eyes unmasked limited to 350.

I don't know if he ever got to my sketch as he was gone by the time I got to Artist Alley on Sunday.   I will be looking carefully on eBay to see if it turns up.  If he did get to it, I would like to see how it came out.  However, he was only up to 36 by Saturday late afternoon. 

56073709598__CE890A4D-B88D-459C-B135-01DE7D64B1EA.JPG

Now... I would recommend these things... I forget what the original price was but I believe it was around $55

Herocross Figuaration Hybrid Metal Superman... Bandai booths have had these for a couple of years and brought them along to clearance them out.  At $20 you cannot go wrong. 

From Entertainment Earth where they are sold out.

• Highly detailed and stylized action figure of the Man of Steel - Superman!
  • Features die-cast metal and light-up components.
  • Measures 5 1/2-inches tall and includes a wealth of extras!

Totally unique action figure! Hero Cross brings you an amazing Hybrid Metal Figuration action figure of DC Comis' Man of Steel, himself - Superman! This Superman Hybrid Metal Figuration Action Figure measures 5 1/2-inches tall and comes complete with four interchangeable hands, a poseable cape, and a display stand. Featuring a die-cast metal action body with over 20 points of articulation, this highly detailed action figure even features red light-up eyes! Superman's body, arms, and legs are made out of hybrid metal, while his head, hands, boots, and pants are made from plastic. Ages 15 and up. Batteries not included.

Batteries were included btw... 

Here is a stock image... If you can track one down for about that price I highly recommend it. 

32deb9797e844781b4f34277726b5d9dlg.jpg

This ridiculous thing was actually amusing... There were not a lot of giveaways that I saw this year so this was kind of cool to just be handed as I was walking around.   I will talk about that later.  I still have no idea what accent the Geico Gecko has. 

56074048575__8206971F-3320-401B-A47E-4DB4E89253C5.JPG

Hallmark booth was actually kind of cool once again this year.  Iron Giant will fit in to the Holiday theme because it does look like a 1930's robot toy.  The R2-D2 will find it's way into one of the cupholders in the jeep. Hallmark seems to have this thing going on with their Itty BItties... they are exceptionally cute and at the size of your palm, one or two are not that bad to have around. 

56074044309__0BF768BC-8FE8-4D77-9CA9-36856185D385.JPG

This was my last purchase of the weekend... 

These were on display by S.H. Figuarts.  As I am a sucker for 1920's Mickey I inquired but was shot down on purchasing them.  Mickey was due to come out in October so there seemed to be confusion when I inquired about him.  They may have them.  They may have sold out.  They were stuck in customs.  Finally as I was leaving the show, the floor was still open and finally there was no line.  I asked the lady behind the counter from behind the security rope.  I handed her my credit card and she rang it up.  This one goes with the nonsense in the China Closet. 

56074052319__B1EC35AB-9949-453E-AA51-6D6A67383403.JPG

56074053778__951F4850-DF0A-4D2C-AD84-BD6F2F3954DB.JPG

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Overall I have mixed feelings about this show.   There were dealers that said sales were phenomenal and then there were dealers that just shook their head and shrugged saying that you do not come to NYCC to make money that you could not make anywhere else. 

It would be interesting to note which dealers said what about NYC?

Remember that MANY of these dealers were in Baltimore just a few days prior and so would have moved a lot of inventory there as well as depleted some inventory. You also would have had many NYC buyers travel to Baltimore the week before and maybe avoid the business and expense of the NYC whereas other years they may have gone to both shows to shop if they were further apart like that have been in previous years.

It really is a disadvantage to have two shows, 2 hours apart on consecutive weeks.

16 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Travis Bickle... when I asked if the mole was real he did a DiNero impression of, "Might be... might be..."  It was real. 

Awesome... this guy was awesome... 

IMG_6107.JPG

The Palantine campaign button is a great touch.

13 hours ago, VintageComics said:

It would be interesting to note which dealers said what about NYC?

Remember that MANY of these dealers were in Baltimore just a few days prior and so would have moved a lot of inventory there as well as depleted some inventory. You also would have had many NYC buyers travel to Baltimore the week before and maybe avoid the business and expense of the NYC whereas other years they may have gone to both shows to shop if they were further apart like that have been in previous years.

It really is a disadvantage to have two shows, 2 hours apart on consecutive weeks.

Hence the Baltimore move in 2019.

What do two 6 foot tables cost for the show? One? Just curious.Seems like for what they charge for admission they could have some mercy on the comic dealers who actually show up. And yes, were I paying triple figures to attend the show as a comic collector (and I know that is like 5-10% of the visitors) I'd be annoyed I was getting cherry picked remains of books from another big show a few hours away that had just ended. I know some of this is inevitable and my guess is that a number of the local guys don't go to Baltimore, but they should not be so close. OTOH, I get it, it probably makes it easier for dealers who are doing both shows. Do you guys not go home in between the shows if you are travelling from the south or wherever?

19 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

If any of you ever read this, you are not turning away CGC customers from CGC by charging exponentially larger fees for verified signatures or artwork.  You, the artist are losing business.  I simply walk over to someone else. So when some artists are looking like lost souls with the Incredible Hulk "Lonely Man" piano theme song playing in the background, you have no one to blame but yourself.  

Aided and abetted by the so-called "facilitators" who, out of their own self-interest, have told these creators...and I know this, because 1. I've heard them say it with their own mouths, and 2. I've heard creators parrot it back to me...that "everyone doing CGC is profiting off of your signature, so you need to charge more for it."

...this house of cards will come down, and the longer it takes, the higher it's built, the more spectacular the crash.

So many things could be said about this...so many...but this isn't the thread for it.

To be continued elsewhere...

Edited by RockMyAmadeus