• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small Collection Found - Southern Ontario/Upstate New York ARea

7 posts in this topic

My apologies if this is in the wrong spot for this... This is not my collection, and I’m not seeking to sell anything.

I occasionally do some valuation work for insurance companies, and one contacted me recently on behalf of one of their clients, who is looking to sell their comic book collection. This is located in St. Catharines, Ontario – about 1 hour from Toronto, and 45 minutes from Buffalo, NY.

Like everyone, I had visions of 1940s treasures, but this is a more modest collection, running from about 1970 to 1995. The owner is an older gentleman who is now looking to sell. I have recently purchased a couple of other collections, and I’m not a dealer, so don’t really have the time and space to take this one on.

Overall, there are about 3,100 books, and they have not been cherrypicked. I’ve advised the seller to try to sell this as a single lot. The books are (almost) all bagged, and the seller’s wife works at an office supply store, so they have been carefully stored in 12 large file boxes, about 12” x 20” (30cm x 50 cm).

It’s an odd collection, focused on Conan and related titles, Wolverine and Captain America.

The bad news is that there is (as can be expected from this time period) a reasonable amount of drek. There are some gems, too.

There are a few early bronze keys in lower grade, and then there are a lot of late bronze and copper keys in higher grade (generally about 8.0 to 9.4). I had a quick look in a few boxes, and saw some obvious highlights, including:

·        Amazing Spider-Man 298, 300 (this is a newsstand copy in about 9.2, based on a quick look)

·        Batman 358, 428

·        Captain Marvel 25

·        Conan the Barbarian 1, 24, 275

·        Daredevil 172, 173, 177, 180, 182, 254

·        GI Joe 1

·        Incredible Hulk 180, 182, 449

·        Ms. Marvel 17

·        New Teen Titans 1

·        New Mutants 1

·        Nova 1

·        Punisher 1, 100, 102

·        Savage She-Hulk 1 (x3)

·        Savage Sword of Conan 1

·        Usagi Yojimbo 1

·        Warlock 2, 3, 4

·        Wolverine (Limited Series) 1 (x3), 3, 4

·        Wolverine 1 (x2)

There are a lot of #1s (including multiples of things like Alpha Flight, Battlestar Galactica, Micronauts, Moon Knight, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Savage She-Hulk, Star Trek, etc.), and long runs of titles including Avengers, Captain America, Conan (almost complete), Daredevil, Flash (1984), Nova, Preacher (1-65), Punisher, Red Sonja, ROM, Savage She-Hulk, Savage Sword of Conan, Transformers, Venom (multiple miniseries), and Wolverine.

The seller seems motivated, and does not appear to have unrealistic expectations. I have no skin in this game, but promised that I would put some feelers out to see if anyone is interested.

Feel free to PM me if you’d like more details or an introduction to the owner...