• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tec 27 cgc 9.2 plod at HA
1 1

35 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mr bla bla said:

Thanks Bla. That’s a 9.2 fo ‘ sho 

Edited by Chicago Boy

CGC calls it "Extensive A-5" which CGC says means: "Any piece fill over 2” x 2” and/or color touch over 4” x 4”. Recreated interior pages or cover"

The label also discloses it was cleaned, pieces added, color touch, and the cover and centerfold married.

22 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

CGC calls it "Extensive A-5" which CGC says means: "Any piece fill over 2” x 2” and/or color touch over 4” x 4”. Recreated interior pages or cover"

The label also discloses it was cleaned, pieces added, color touch, and the cover and centerfold married.

Interesting.  So was this done by you know who?  And if it was, I assume you know who and CGC must have settled their differences.

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Ah, ok.  Given the amount of resto, it seemed as if it might be their work. 

Out of respect to consignor's wishes, I can only post relevant info on the book post auction.

It's a terrific restored copy and we'll leave it at that. It is certainly not an IGB-like monstrosity.

Edited by Gotham Kid

3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Out of respect to consignor's wishes, I can only post relevant info on the book post auction.

It's a terrific restored copy and we'll leave it at that. It is certainly not an IGB-like monstrosity.

Good to know.  Thanks. 

This one on the other hand I'm pretty sure is an IGB production

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-33-dc-1939-cgc-apparent-nm-94-extensive-a-5-off-white-pages/p/7192-60016.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

The book has been offered on other venues before.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

I don't know anything about "IGB" and why their restoration techniques might be viewed with more disfavor then others examples of restoration.

Given that the 9.2 is "Extensive A-5" (including pieces added, color touch, cleaning, tear-seals, and reinforcement) with both a married centerfold and a married cover, which normally would garner the description "frankenbook" on this board, what kind of restoration does IGB do that makes it so much worse than this book?

Is it just that they do "B" or "C" quality work?

All but a handful of the most elite collectors/investors would be thrilled to add this beauty to there collection & truth be told it's out of the price range for most of us, A-5 be dammed it's a stunning copy IMHO. Congrats to the seller and future new owner.

Edited by Frank Mozz

41 minutes ago, Frank Mozz said:

All but a handful of the most elite collectors would be thrilled to add this beauty to there collection & truth be told it's out of the price range for most of us, A-5 be dammed it's a stunning copy IMHO. Congrats to the seller and future new owner.

I would guess from the description that the cover is from a formerly bound copy with trimming or binding damage around all edges which was then completed by marrying a more complete but cfo interior.   That would mean the spine and edges were added to cover and centerfold.   I don't think any of that being confirmed would hurt the book's final hammer price because those who would stay away would do so anyway, and it might actually help as it would explain that the colors on the cover are so deep and rich because for most of its 79 years the front cover was flat up against the back cover of another book (likely a detective 26), and that it looks great because of that and not because it because the majority of the cover was painted over (color touch and fill would be limited to the edges).   You'd know when you're looking at it that the vast majority of its eye appeal is original.   To those who dislike resto even as a concept, none of that matters.   But that should make it especially desirable to those who don't mind resto as a concept.

Edited by bluechip

6 hours ago, Frank Mozz said:

All but a handful of the most elite collectors would be thrilled to add this beauty to there collection & truth be told it's out of the price range for most of us, A-5 be dammed it's a stunning copy IMHO. Congrats to the seller and future new owner.

It looks insanely nice. Hard from the scan to identify the piece added.