• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage add sales tax in Nevada

20 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Let me guess how that works out for you...

When you add in reductions for tax, buyer's premiums and shipping it becomes a real waste of time real fast.

I have quit bidding (or even looking) at their auctions any more. 

I'm waiting on a box from Heritage. It might well be my last ever purchase for those reasons.

All this gloom and doom warms my heart, because I'd love to see American bidders reduce their bidding significantly, but unfortunately the reality is that taxes, duties and other costs don't impact bidding at all. 

Otherwise, European bidders would be non-existent.  Instead, they're among the biggest, most aggressive buyers out there.  It's simply a cost of collecting that they've come to accept, and the same will be true of American collectors.

Well, there goes any future bidding with Heritage.  Done completely.  Since the sales tax addition to CA was added, I have probably only won a single book which was shipped to my NV home to avoid the taxes.  Now that NV will be taxed as well, I think that will be it for me.  Glad there are still other reputable auctions I can place bids on (CL, CC, Hakes).

5 hours ago, tth2 said:

All this gloom and doom warms my heart, because I'd love to see American bidders reduce their bidding significantly, but unfortunately the reality is that taxes, duties and other costs don't impact bidding at all. 

Otherwise, European bidders would be non-existent.  Instead, they're among the biggest, most aggressive buyers out there.  It's simply a cost of collecting that they've come to accept, and the same will be true of American collectors.

Why accept the 10 percent?  until cc,cl,hakes or auction houses adds taxes, bidders will move over there unless it's a "rare" item.  all the item's I've won from them have always been 10 percent less than my max 

Edited by Spiderturtle

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

American collectors don't need to play your game. American comics generally come from America. We have shows and lots of local collectors from which to obtain books from that won't have to cost us an arm and a leg. Many ebay sellers won't sell out of the US either. This further limits your access to quality material. I don't need to be held hostage to Heritage to obtain quality material. 

Every time I get my heritage invoice I ask why did I do this again. This weeks takes the cake. I bid on an auction and won the item for $1.  The item was a set of 6 drinking glasses from an obscure restaurant. I knew if I won I would be charged $19 fee as that is the minimum heritage charges. Well, I was shocked that the invoice was for $80.13. Over 50 bucks for S/H AND tax. So I called and asked them to review the order and see if anything could be done. 10 minutes later she still had not got the point that paying 79 bucks in fees to ship a 1 dollar item was absurd. I told her I would send them 20 bucks and they could keep the glasses. She still did not understand. I even found out I could use my own Fedex account but there would still be a large fee for handling. I hung up. Sent them a detailed email and we will see. I was polite and I do like heritage. What would you do?  

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

American collectors don't need to play your game. American comics generally come from America. We have shows and lots of local collectors from which to obtain books from that won't have to cost us an arm and a leg. Many ebay sellers won't sell out of the US either. This further limits your access to quality material. I don't need to be held hostage to Heritage to obtain quality material. 

Like I said, I'd be delighted if these sales taxes drive down bidding on Heritage.  But I don't think they will.

18 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

Why accept the 10 percent?  until cc,cl,hakes or auction houses adds taxes, bidders will move over there unless it's a "rare" item.  all the item's I've won from them have always been 10 percent less than my max 

CLink is starting to add sales tax in certain states. See paragraph #16

Screenshot_2018-10-16-17-17-10.png

16 hours ago, Wipple said:

Every time I get my heritage invoice I ask why did I do this again. This weeks takes the cake. I bid on an auction and won the item for $1.  The item was a set of 6 drinking glasses from an obscure restaurant. I knew if I won I would be charged $19 fee as that is the minimum heritage charges. Well, I was shocked that the invoice was for $80.13. Over 50 bucks for S/H AND tax. So I called and asked them to review the order and see if anything could be done. 10 minutes later she still had not got the point that paying 79 bucks in fees to ship a 1 dollar item was absurd. I told her I would send them 20 bucks and they could keep the glasses. She still did not understand. I even found out I could use my own Fedex account but there would still be a large fee for handling. I hung up. Sent them a detailed email and we will see. I was polite and I do like heritage. What would you do?  

If the glasses are cool, the price may not be too bad.  If you figure you'll have to pay at least $20 no matter what (which is actually what you bid with the BP), then the question becomes are the glasses worth $60 to you?  

On the general point, yeah, if you win only one low-dollar item on Heritage, the BP plus the shipping and tax is going to bite you.

If it were me, I would probably just pay the bill. 

8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

If the glasses are cool, the price may not be too bad.  If you figure you'll have to pay at least $20 no matter what (which is actually what you bid with the BP), then the question becomes are the glasses worth $60 to you?  

On the general point, yeah, if you win only one low-dollar item on Heritage, the BP plus the shipping and tax is going to bite you.

The glasses are cool, but remember I was the only one willing to bid. I agree that I accepted the BP and the $20 total. An extra 60 bucks in fees is criminal. They even charge tax on the shipping and handling which adds up when they deem $5o bucks for those services. Amazon ships for free and they ship glasses all day long.

I am willing to send them the $20 and they keep the glasses and sell them again. They have yet to respond to my inquiry though.

Answer to your question is , No they are not worth $60 to me.

any advice on how to get them to review this? Thank you for your response BTW..

4 hours ago, Wipple said:
5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

The glasses are cool, but remember I was the only one willing to bid. I agree that I accepted the BP and the $20 total. An extra 60 bucks in fees is criminal. They even charge tax on the shipping and handling which adds up when they deem $5o bucks for those services. Amazon ships for free and they ship glasses all day long.

I am willing to send them the $20 and they keep the glasses and sell them again. They have yet to respond to my inquiry though.

Answer to your question is , No they are not worth $60 to me.

any advice on how to get them to review this? Thank you for your response BTW..

Not sure.  I guess you could call back their CS line and ask to speak to a manager.

It's painful, but I would probably bite the bullet and just pay the bill.  At best, you would probably have been on the hook for the $20 plus some shipping/handling charge (at least $15 probably -- although since they are shipping glasses, they may be dinging you for the extra packing required) plus tax.  If your tax rate is, say, 5%, you're up to $31.50.  So, you've been gouged $48.50.  

Whether that's enough to make a fuss about may depend on what kind of long-term relationship you have, or expect to have, with them.

I'd just pay it and be done with it.

Just my thoughts and I do understand that it can be really irritating to get hit with an $80 bill on a $1 bid.

47 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Not sure.  I guess you could call back their CS line and ask to speak to a manager.

It's painful, but I would probably bite the bullet and just pay the bill.  At best, you would probably have been on the hook for the $20 plus some shipping/handling charge (at least $15 probably -- although since they are shipping glasses, they may be dinging you for the extra packing required) plus tax.  If your tax rate is, say, 5%, you're up to $31.50.  So, you've been gouged $48.50.  

Whether that's enough to make a fuss about may depend on what kind of long-term relationship you have, or expect to have, with them.

Just my thoughts and I do understand that it can be really irritating to get hit with an $80 bill on a $1 bid.

Got an email with a reduced S/H cost. I thanked them for reviewing and paid invoice.  80 turned in 45. 

2 hours ago, Wipple said:
3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Got an email with a reduced S/H cost. I thanked them for reviewing and paid invoice.  80 turned in 45. 

Win!