• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What SO offended a kid as to make him censor a comic like this?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

This made me laugh.

I found a cheap copy of "Ziggy Pig Silly Seal Comics" #2 on ebay last week.  I kind of like these old Marvel/Timely cartoon books so I pick them up when I see them at low prices.

I got it in the mail today and it's not too bad.... complete, maybe a 4.0.

But as I was paging thru it I found an ad page that had an image completely pasted over (censored) with pieces of Sunday comic strips.

I thought something must have REALLY offended the reader to make him cover that up.  I suspected what the image was (because I've seen lots of these old ads) but I thought I'd try to remove the pasted on pieces to have a look.  They wouldn't come off just by carefully tugging because the glue was strong so I saturated the whole area with water and tried again.  All of the pieces came off.

Turns out the offensive image was..... a real photo of Miss America.  lol

Any one else ever find a censored comic like this?

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

34 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

This made me laugh.

I found a cheap copy of "Ziggy Pig Silly Seal Comics" #2 on ebay last week.  I kind of like these old Marvel/Timely cartoon books so I pick them up when I see them at low prices.

But as I was paging thru it I found an ad page that had an image completely pasted over (censored) with pieces of Sunday comic strips.

I thought something must have REALLY offended the reader to make him cover that up.  I suspected what the image was (because I've seen lots of these old ads) but I thought I'd try to remove the pasted on pieces to have a look.  They wouldn't come off just by carefully tugging because the glue was strong so I saturated the whole area with water and tried again.  All of the pieces came off.

The image that was SO offensive to the boy reading this comic was..... a real photo of Miss America.  lol

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

Maybe he wanted to “use” it without having to drag around the whole book

Edited by batman_fan

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

You’re gonna want to spray that thing for cooties.

Yeah, I was thinking, are you sure that is glue?  You know a young boy entering puberty and a Miss America photo is better than a National Geographic mag under the sheets. Maybe some DNA on those pages :sick:

10 minutes ago, telerites said:

Yeah, I was thinking, are you sure that is glue?  You know a young boy entering puberty and a Miss America photo is better than a National Geographic mag under the sheets. Maybe some DNA on those pages :sick:

Honestly, that’s not where I was going. I was on the icky girls thing. 

1 hour ago, telerites said:

So..... when I go to sell this how am I supposed to explain those stains now?

6 hours ago, gadzukes said:

This made me laugh.

Turns out the offensive image was..... a real photo of Miss America.  lol

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

My Dear Holmes. I applaud your intrepid comic sleuthing efforts! Your cunning plan to soak the comic book in water to reveal the motive was a genius maneuver. No doubt that "The Adventure of the Missing Miss America" will be one of your most successful stories yet for The Strand Magazine.

52 minutes ago, Yorick said:

The first owner who did the censoring was the runner-up to Miss America.  She was just really P.O.ed seeing the winner in her favorite comic.

Great theory. Ha.

I knew the Miss America photo was going to be under there, but I thought there might be some funny (or obscene) pen drawings added to it, which was why it had been covered up.

But it just turned out to be an icky girl.

2 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

My Dear Holmes. I applaud your intrepid comic sleuthing efforts! Your cunning plan to soak the comic book in water to reveal the motive was a genius maneuver. No doubt that "The Adventure of the Missing Miss America" will be one of your most successful stories yet for The Strand Magazine.

I actually almost titled this thread, "The mystery of the pasted over photo"