• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Developing Winter Soldier-Falcon Limited Series for Disney’s Streaming Service
3 3

1,118 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I bet John Walker is a non-entity in the MCU, as in he doesn't even have super-powers and is completely for show, kind of like Steve Rogers in the first half of Captain America First Avenger. My guess is he's a flash in the pan who doesn't make it past a couple episodes.

Strongly disagree I imagine they'll have him joining whatever iteration of the Thunderbolts they put together as a pawn of the government. There's always someone who's willingly taking orders in those kinds of groups

5 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

He had powers in the comics...are you saying you know he doesn't in the MCU?  My memory is telling me he had Cap's powers, but I don't really remember.  Wikipedia says he can bench press 10 tons.

I don't know, I'm just guessing and predicting like I did for every episode of WandaVision.

8 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

Strongly disagree I imagine they'll have him joining whatever iteration of the Thunderbolts they put together as a pawn of the government. There's always someone who's willingly taking orders in those kinds of groups

Well evidently the Flag Smashers have some kind of enhanced strength. Is it possible that this John Walker is affiliated with them somehow? I think the Flag Smashers might be shape shifting aliens, like Skrulls, but not Skrulls. Maybe John Walker is the same?

12 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Well evidently the Flag Smashers have some kind of enhanced strength. Is it possible that this John Walker is affiliated with them somehow? I think the Flag Smashers might be shape shifting aliens, like Skrulls, but not Skrulls. Maybe John Walker is the same?

I suspect the Flag Smashers will replace the "Buckies" from his first appearance in that they'll be his hired goons that he defeats to make himself look good (broke out his first appearance for reference)

20210319_151111.jpg

20210319_151117.jpg

Fun fact - when I was 11 years old I went to my local Encore Books and flipped through a few mainstream superhero comics.

And the trio I picked out - and brought home - traumatized me.

1) Captain America # 345 - my first encounter with John Walker. Who, in his guise as Captain America, beats some goons to death.

2) Wonder Woman # 20 - "Who Killed Myndi Mayer?" - It turns out, she killed herself, drug overdose via heroin.

3) Batman: The Killing Joke - in which the Joker blows out Barbara Gordon's spinal column and she's shown falling backwards, crashing through a glass table.

Comic books in the summer of 1988 were exceedingly brutal.

Cap 345.jpg

Wonder_Woman_v.2_20.jpg

Killing Joke.jpg

Also there wasn't a post credits scene, but if you keep your eyes peeled during the first set of credits there are some details to figure out where this is going...it appears the Flag Smashers (and more than likely US Agent) are getting their powers from the Powerbroker who's probably who they're hunting for when they take off to Madripoor and we see their little fight club ordeal in the bar with the bronze skulls (sorry I took a picture of my tv)

20210319_191751.jpg

34 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

Also there wasn't a post credits scene, but if you keep your eyes peeled during the first set of credits there are some details to figure out where this is going...it appears the Flag Smashers (and more than likely US Agent) are getting their powers from the Powerbroker who's probably who they're hunting for when they take off to Madripoor and we see their little fight club ordeal in the bar with the bronze skulls (sorry I took a picture of my tv)

20210319_191751.jpg

Powerbroker. That makes sense.

10 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Powerbroker. That makes sense.

And he works closely with Karl Malus, which is where Torres gets his Falcon mutations in the comics, so I think we've got a cohesive story and villain across all these characters. (I don't know if they'll use Malus though since they used him in Jessica Jones to give Trish her Hellcat powers and then he blew himself up)

This was a very solid premiere. I love the focus on individual struggles post-Endgame, so the Sam stuff is great, and I like where the Bucky storyline is headed. No Mephisto easter eggs, but I expect those to pick up in Episode 2...

Wife and I just got done watching.  Thought it was a great start.  Giving some good background on the characters.  Showing them having normal human issues.  

Action was great.  Wife commented that it felt more like a movie than a TV show.

Was bummed we only got one episode, was hoping for 2 like WandaVision.

48 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I was kinda bored (shrug)

Winter Soldier playing battleship?

Falcon getting a loan?

wow the bar is so easy for marvel 

It's funny... different strokes, I guess. I like the small character moments. They remind me of the stuff I grew up enjoying reading comics, and what Marvel used to separate themselves from DC... Peter Parker doing his laundry, Ben Grimm being harassed by the Yancy Street kids... moments that build a deeper picture.  For me anyway.

9 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I bet John Walker is a non-entity in the MCU, as in he doesn't even have super-powers and is completely for show, kind of like Steve Rogers in the first half of Captain America First Avenger. My guess is he's a flash in the pan who doesn't make it past a couple episodes.

Nah. This series will end with Sam accepting that he has to take on the mantle to protect the legacy. So I think Walker will be around for the whole thing.

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

I was kinda bored (shrug)

Winter Soldier playing battleship?

Falcon getting a loan?

wow the bar is so easy for marvel 

Well, try viewing them for what's below the surface: the struggles of each of those characters that can't be solved by punching and fighting. The best thing these television shows can do is get down into the nitty-gritty of the lives of the heroes, and that's what happened in this premiere. There was plenty of action, too, which hopefully you enjoyed--but try also to enjoy the subtler moments, because they were well done and say a lot.