• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 San Diego Comic Con

66 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

WOW, on the TV 10 1975 report, at the very end, I am the guy in yellow looking at the paperbacks so intently...great convention by the way...LON LIVE SD

That newscaster calls the Duck artist Carl Bark  heh heh heh 

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Wow, so cool. I was there too. Brings back such special memories of a time long gone. It was a "special" group of collectors who "got it". I got a Flash #1 at that show. Blew almost my whole meager comic budget on it. Good times!

those shows could never be duplicated and are priceless, I agree

35 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

those shows could never be duplicated and are priceless, I agree

I was hopeful that the Comic Fest here in San Diego might grow into something like the old SDCC but I’m not sure the organizers want to grow it in that direction.

The larger cons like SDCC are massive media shows now and the smaller shows are usually only about dealers and dollars selling books to collectors filling holes. I find both slightly shallow in their targets.

SDCC in the 70’s and 80’s was more about a total fan experience. You could walk up to and talk with Lee or Kirby or Wrightson or Adams or whoever while you shopped. There were panels where you could meet any number of creators or actors from your favorite genre movie or series. 

It wasn’t about just buying either. You met people. You mingled. You were able to meet creators. Ask questions. A lot of people grew their friend trees meeting other fans there. Total informal fan experience. You had fun.

I like the current SDCC experience but it’s clearly different. The other smaller shows usually leave me cold with people only interested in shopping. The first experience is overwhelmingly stressful to finish and the other is about as entertaining as running in and out to buy something at a shopping center.

Neither is what I would call fun...

The El Cortez days were special in that the crowds were in the low thousands, and the venue could handle it.  It was intimate and friendly.  As the crowds grew the show was forced to move to the larger convention center where it hung for a few years while the current convention center was being built.  Such great memories of the El Cortez days, but there's just no going back  …… 

15 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

That price guide was my first :luhv: GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

The 1975 price guide was the first one I bought too, right after I got into buying comics...will always have a soft spot for that price guide!

As a little kid I remember being floored by the prices for Golden Age and early Silver Age books...if I would have known then what I know now... hm

I think a buddy of mine bought a nice Avengers #1 for $30(!) and traded it for a sweet Spidey #2 around that same time, if I remember correctly...

1 hour ago, silverseeker said:

As a little kid I remember being floored by the prices for Golden Age and early Silver Age books...if I would have known then what I know now... hm

Well if I had expected it’s current pricing I think I would have bypassed all those GA and SA books and buy every high grade copy of Hulk #181 I saw. In July of 1975 that was going for cover price to maybe 50 or 60 cents a copy on the high end. The book would have been readily available in those 9.4 to 9.8 grades and best of all no one cared to haggle on price. Not sure if there would have been a better or easier book to obtain for returns on your dollar at that time. 

20 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Shel was a letterer for Milton Caniff's "Steve Canyon" strip.

Mark Evanier has written a lot about Dorf on his blog. It sounded like -- and I'm paraphrasing -- he wanted to be a part of comics (and comic strips specifically) so badly, yet he didn't really have the talent and Caniff threw him a bone by letting him help out with some Steve Canyon work.

Even the San Diego Con got too big for him quickly, and as it became more important and influential, he became less so. 

https://www.newsfromme.com/2009/11/03/shel-dorf-r-i-p/

8 hours ago, N e r V said:

Well if I had expected it’s current pricing I think I would have bypassed all those GA and SA books and buy every high grade copy of Hulk #181 I saw. In July of 1975 that was going for cover price to maybe 50 or 60 cents a copy on the high end. The book would have been readily available in those 9.4 to 9.8 grades and best of all no one cared to haggle on price. Not sure if there would have been a better or easier book to obtain for returns on your dollar at that time. 

Giant size X-Men 1 could buy for 1.00 and sell for 30.00 to 50.00 to few people.:whee:

41 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Giant size X-Men 1 could buy for 1.00 and sell for 30.00 to 50.00 to few people.:whee:

I have a short box of mostly Hulk #181’s and Giant-size X-Men #1’s (some #94’s in there too) that I brought to a SDCC probably in the late 80’s or early 90’s since they all were priced around $30.00 on the mylars. These were my unsold inventory that somehow got lost in storage years ago. So happy now these did not sell and got lost. :smile:

Decided to use them as trade bait with a fellow collector for something big recently....

17 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I have a short box of mostly Hulk #181’s and Giant-size X-Men #1’s (some #94’s in there too) that I brought to a SDCC probably in the late 80’s or early 90’s since they all were priced around $30.00 on the mylars. These were my unsold inventory that somehow got lost in storage years ago. So happy now these did not sell and got lost. :smile:

Decided to use them as trade bait with a fellow collector for something big recently....

(thumbsu

7 hours ago, N e r V said:

This is why that book is WAAAAYYY over priced IMO.  It's not the slightest bit rare 

12 minutes ago, Senormac said:

This is why that book is WAAAAYYY over priced IMO.  It's not the slightest bit rare 

hundred dollar bills are also not rare but they are worth $100 bucks!!  You would think with so many around, theyd only be worth like $50

1 hour ago, kav said:

hundred dollar bills are also not rare but they are worth $100 bucks!!  You would think with so many around, theyd only be worth like $50

:makepoint:

Pricing doesn’t really have to do with rarity.

Lots of rare comics at low prices.

It has to do with existing copies vs demand on how much pricing ends up playing out.

Its when you have high demand on a rare book (either in total copies or in higher grades) that we get those perfect storms in comics collecting.

1 minute ago, N e r V said:

It has to do with existing copies vs demand on how much pricing ends up playing out.

Its when you have high demand on a rare book (either in total copies or in higher grades) that we get those perfect storms in comics collecting.

yep value of collectibles is determined by:
Rarity

Demand

Condition
Significance

rare alone means nothing.  I have a comic that only one copy exists-value is zip

2 minutes ago, kav said:
5 minutes ago, N e r V said:

yep value of collectibles is determined by:
Rarity

Demand

Condition
Significance

rare alone means nothing.  I have a comic that only one copy exists-value is zip

Yea..... well, the next CLINK auction that comes up why don't you put 20 or 30 copies of Hulk # 181 up for bid and see what happens ? 

2 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Yea..... well, the next CLINK auction that comes up why don't you put 20 or 30 copies of Hulk # 181 up for bid and see what happens ? 

that would momentarily reduce one of the elements-rarity of available copies-and would have an effect on hammer price.

1 minute ago, kav said:
5 minutes ago, Senormac said:

that would momentarily reduce one of the elements-rarity of available copies-and would have an effect on hammer price.

Not only that but the realization that there are 100 other guys ( maybe 1000) out there who are sitting on just as many copies waiting for their chance to score on an inflated market