• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One week old. 1 in 100. Already $2k?
3 3

99 posts in this topic

Just now, Lazyboy said:

But M:tG, as a game, has grown at a huge rate over the last decade and there are many ways to play, both casually and competitively. And there's also a lot of manipulation in the market.

Yu-Gi-Oh players either just quit or move up to M:tG.

(thumbsu

Right, but you're discounting the nostalgia element.

9 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

There is no nostalgic value in having to pay $2000 for a first week release.  Unless you're crazy.  These modern variants are not catering to that 12 year old "makes me feel good" thought process.  These are bought by adults who are past that time frame.  

You guys are missing entirely what I'm saying. The 25 year from now buyer is NOT someone who has one. The 25 year from now buyer is someone who is 13 who wants one. Will this book apply? Who knows. But maybe. What will happen is that 15 years from now you'll be able to buy this book for pennies on the dollar.

As far as Modern Comics go, if the general public isn't familiar with the character name, there is a good chance, the comic title will not be worth much. 

Nobody in the general public ever hear of frickin' Spider Gwen, and probably never will.  You want to pay $2K for a comic that came out 1 week  ago, and hope Marvel makes a Spider Gwen movie, that is up to you.  A fool and his money etc...etc...

2 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

You guys are missing entirely what I'm saying. The 25 year from now buyer is NOT someone who has one. The 25 year from now buyer is someone who is 13 who wants one. Will this book apply? Who knows. But maybe. What will happen is that 15 years from now you'll be able to buy this book for pennies on the dollar.

When I was 17....it was a very good yea....wait, no, that's not right. When I was 17, I wanted...so bad I could taste it...Batman #426-429. Some idjit at my high school offered me a set for the low, LOW price of $200. This is 1990 dollars, mind you.

At the time, it had an OPG (no "S", folks!) of about $135 for the set.

I couldn't afford that. That was a serious chunk of change, and I was only working part time, after school and on weekends.

Bat mania finally died, replaced by Spider mania...then X Mania...then Valiant mania, and Death of Superman mania...and then Bat mania again, for a while in 1993....but finally, prices settled back down...and then eBay came...and I could buy sets...complete sets, all four issues!...for $10 plus $5 shipping.

So I bought a long box worth.

What FD says is absolutely true. "I can't have this now. No way." Fast forward 25 years. "Hey. I'm 40, and I make $250,000 a year...only $5000? I can afford that! That's just a week's salary!"

2 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

As far as Modern Comics go, if the general public isn't familiar with the character name, there is a good chance, the comic title will not be worth much. 

Nobody in the general public ever hear of frickin' Spider Gwen, and probably never will.  You want to pay $2K for a comic that came out 1 week  ago, and hope Marvel makes a Spider Gwen movie, that is up to you.  A fool and his money etc...etc...

To be fair, nobody ever heard of Groot or Rocket Raccoon...or Star Lord.

When I was young I really wanted Harbinger 1 and Solar 10 yet I couldn’t afford them much less find them at my local shops. Fast forward 15-20 years later I can afford them and accessibility to them has never been better. I purchased a ton of them looking to find 9.8s. I got them cheaper than today’s market and while I never found a 9.8 I made some nice money when people like me remember how much they loved that comic and never had a chance to get one till now 

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

To be fair, nobody ever heard of Groot or Rocket Raccoon...or Star Lord.

True, but nobody was paying $2K for any of their comics, EVEN first appearances, a week after they came out.  Then MCU came along and put them into plebeian lexicon. 

I don't care what people do with their money.  Buy what you like etc.... But this segment of variant hounds really isn't doing the hobby any favors.  

I hear that a lot - that this behavior isn’t helping - can someone elaborate?

money and new collectors (investors I guess) in the hobby is better than less collectors and less money

everyone says it, so what’s the consequence?

11 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

Many Golden Age comics - the ones where the characters dropped out of sight of teenage boys - are great examples of the Rule of 75. What was the most valuable comic in Overstreet (or one of the most, I don't have it in front of me) in 1970? Feature Book 26, the Prince Valiant book. I'll bet the value of that book has dropped 75% since then (inflation adjusted dollars) and is probably the same as it was then in real dollars. Westerns. Romance books. Crime books. Spy books. Funny animal books. Barks Duck books. All of these books were super hot at one point, and because there was never a teenage boy who wanted them after about 1962, they all died on the vine. This is not to say that people still don't buy them, but the collectibility of them is just gone.

If you think the collectibility of golden age romance and crime books is gone, you should take a closer look at the market. Both are hot right now, especially noteworthy covers or covers by certain artists.

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

So with the rule of 25, is there an optimal time to start selling before it hits the rule of 75? 

Good question. 

Could have made loads off this if I took the plunge at initial release. Who knew then it would’ve been selling so well now. 

23 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Revisit the 90's.  

Can you elaborate on how this is similar to the crash of the 90s? What are the similarities that you see?

its not that I disagree or even agree with you, I just would like to hear why people think that in specifics.

its become the thing to say when we see these book pop up in value 

what I see is people with serious money entering the hobby or already in the hobby. Whose to say that these same buyers don’t already own golden or silver keys and still have money to burn.

1 hour ago, october said:

If you think the collectibility of golden age romance and crime books is gone, you should take a closer look at the market. Both are hot right now, especially noteworthy covers or covers by certain artists.

I’ve always felt romance was under valued 

2 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

True, but nobody was paying $2K for any of their comics, EVEN first appearances, a week after they came out.  Then MCU came along and put them into plebeian lexicon. 

I don't care what people do with their money.  Buy what you like etc.... But this segment of variant hounds really isn't doing the hobby any favors.  

Yes, but you made the claim that nobody has heard of Spider Gwen outside of the comics community, which is true. Irrespective of the value of this particular variant, it's also true that nobody ever heard of Groot, RR, or Star Lord outside the comics community, either, but I guarantee you...under the right circumstances, people would be paying $2k for something featuring those guys, a week after they came out. I'm not disagreeing with you, but if the criteria is "no one's ever heard of Spider Gwen, and probably never will"...I don't think that's a valid angle to look at it from. While that's true NOW...it may not be true TOMORROW, or at some point in the future.