• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you don't like no matter how hard you've tried
2 2

87 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I was exactly the opposite.  I couldn't get into it as individual issues, but thought it was fantastic as a collected edition.

Decades on, I much prefer the film's ending to Moore's fabricated alien squid invasion.

Yes that was a much better and more believable ending.  screenwriters were genius-they eliminated all that unnecessary stuff about cloning psychics, blowin em up etc.  Plus you cant just create a giant psi squid and kill it and know for certain it shall demolish an entire city.  Something like this would need to be tested, via the scientific method.

13 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I was exactly the opposite.  I couldn't get into it as individual issues, but thought it was fantastic as a collected edition.

Decades on, I much prefer the film's ending to Moore's fabricated alien squid invasion.

I agree with the exception of the Dr. Manhatten origin issue. It was and is fantastic and I loved the way they translated it to the film. The ending in the book was awful, but the ending in the film was well done.

2 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I agree with the exception of the Dr. Manhatten origin issue. It was and is fantastic and I loved the way they translated it to the film.

Yup.  That's my favourite part of the graphic novel, and the film version was spot on.  

Edited by Ken Aldred

Anything illustrated by Jack Kirby hurts my eyes and I can’t get into the book, no matter how much I’ve tried over the past 30 years to ‘get’ Kirby.

Alas, his genius has escaped me...for now.

Anything written by Alan Moore*, but especially Saga of the Swamp Thing and Watchmen.  I picked them up when they were first published, just to see what all they hype was about Alan Moore, the first writer to make a book hot.  I found both series to be unnecessarily verbose and, quite frankly, boring.

several attempted readings in subsequent years have not altered my decision.

*notable exceptions: From Hell, and the Killing Joke