• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No grader notes on a decent key Spider-Man ?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

5.0. I have checked every day and nothing has shown up. The grade is perfect in my book. With all of the fake cgc books being sold and cases being cracked and books swapped these days , It would just be nice to have the notes that match the book for the future. 

Edited by Lamborghinikid

CGC policy states, "These Grader Notes describe problems, indicate the condition of the interior pages, and help explain why a collectible received the grade it did."

In saying that, all my books labeled  9.6 and below received NOTES, which I expect to help me better understand as explained on their web page. This recent batch has six 9.6 books without NOTES.... Part of grading is explaining defects when they are identified. This is not acceptable. 

Edited by Dr. A

9 hours ago, Dr. A said:

CGC policy states, "These Grader Notes describe problems, indicate the condition of the interior pages, and help explain why a collectible received the grade it did."

In saying that, all my books labeled  9.6 and below received grades, which I expect to help me better understand as explained on their web page. This recent batch has six 9.6 books without grades.... Part of grading is explaining defects when they are identified. This is not acceptable. 

I never get notes with my 9.6's. Just 9.4 or lower. Frustrating.

On 11/7/2018 at 4:56 AM, Lamborghinikid said:

I checked this morning and a few of my books have been shipped. My Spider-Man 13 doesn’t have any notes at all. Will they add them later or will it just not have any notes ? 

It has to be me. Are you talking about Spider-Man 13 or ASM 13?

Clone, I edited my post you quoted to say NOTES in place of grade--my error in typing. This is the first time I have not received notes for a comic graded below 9.8. These five comics graded 9.6 shows no issues and therefore 9.6 without notes leads me to believe foul play... at a minimum. Imagine getting your immaculate key issue graded 9.6 without notes....one's motivation diminishes and future grading comes into question. It could be some graders are fast and are only interested in their grading quantity where quality should be the driving factor, policy, and goal. Let's see if anyone cares about their own policy https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/cgc-grader-notes.aspx and customer satisfaction. Stand by.

Edited by Dr. A

1 hour ago, Lamborghinikid said:

This one 

07DF16F5-4631-4494-8FF6-1D198A969F04.jpeg

Really nice book, great eye appeal for the grade. In some cases, where all the flaws are obvious and visible in the slab, CGC will not give notes. I'm not saying I agree with this but picture a grader with stacks of books to grade, way behind schedule, and he is trying to cut some corners to catch up. IN your case the bottom right hand corner crease alone would top this book at 6.0ish. Factor in the obvious spine wear and you got a nice grade of 5.0 . BTW, all flaws are not listed in notes, just the flaws that mattered in the assignment of grade. 

42 minutes ago, Dr. A said:

Clone, I edited my post you quoted to say NOTES in place of grade--my error in typing. This is the first time I have not received notes for a comic graded below 9.8. These five comics graded 9.6 shows no issues and therefore 9.6 without notes leads me to believe foul play... at a minimum. Imagine getting your immaculate key issue graded 9.6 without notes....one's motivation diminishes and future grading comes into question. It could be some graders are fast and are only interested in their grading quantity where quality should be the driving factor, policy, and goal. Let's see if anyone cares about their own policy https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/cgc-grader-notes.aspx and customer satisfaction. Stand by.

Actually, the content of that link of their policy states 'they often enter comments about the collectible's condition'.Note the word 'often', not 'will' but 'often'. THis has been a big discussion point of late and CGC has given a formal reply to the Boards stating they are trying to give notes on anything below 9.8 but they also also trying to keep up with TAT's. I think the TAT's are first priority. So, I would suggest giving them some leeway here. :baiting:

Yes, I’m perfectly fine with the grade. I am actually very happy with it.  The only concern i have is in this day and and time we have people cracking cases and switching labels on books. I love for all of my silver age and key books to have notes with them to show that it is the actual book. Just in case I ever decided to sell or trade anything , the notes can show that it is that actual book. 

2 minutes ago, Lamborghinikid said:

Yes, I’m perfectly fine with the grade. I am actually very happy with it.  The only concern i have is in this day and and time we have people cracking cases and switching labels on books. I love for all of my silver age and key books to have notes with them to show that it is the actual book. Just in case I ever decided to sell or trade anything , the notes can show that it is that actual book. 

I agree that having the notes can validate the originality of a book in auction. There have been situations where sellers have switched out the label or the book but I don't think this has been happening with the new case. The new case design is virtually impossible to open without it self destructing. You used to be able to open the case at the sides. The new cases are sealed on the sides. I think there is only a sliver of an opening at the top and prying it open cracks the case. 

19 hours ago, Edward Kimball said:

Thank you. Nice comic. I would want notes, too. Laziness on the grader's part?

Maybe laziness or grading discrimination between what 9.6 or lower books get notes, but certainly incompetence on the grader. A grading fee should result in providing the customer with a conclusion supported by references, i.e., notes--and of course the encapsulation. 

All it takes is a few seconds to craft one basic note that could make all the difference to the customer.

I agree 100 percent. Not that money should be the driving factor for quality , but I did drop $2100 for my full order and fully expected to get notes and nice cases. No notes on this book and bad newton rings on my Avengers 4 , and Daredevil 1 is disappointing. 

Edited by Lamborghinikid

6 hours ago, Lamborghinikid said:

I agree 100 percent. Not that money should be the driving factor for quality , but I did drop $2100 for my full order and fully expected to get notes and nice cases. No notes on this book and bad newton rings on my Avengers 4 , and Daredevil 1 is disappointing. 

You have my sincere sympathy. :foryou: 

As usual, Bomber-Bob is right on the money with his advice. Personally, since CGC didn't take notes on your ASM #13, I'd come up with a few of them on my own. Each vintage book is like a fingerprint, with individual, highly distinctive characteristics. Please bear in mind that CGC is a business, and as such there are things that slip through the cracks sometimes (like grading notes). I understand that it can be disappointing, but unfortunately, that's just the way it is. I still place some of the blame on their new system for entering the notes, which apparently is set up as a drop-down menu wherein the grader has to select a specific category for each flaw and then select an item or items within that category. We have a similar system at my current job, and it can be frustrating and time consuming to select information which could be typed in a matter of moments, but due to "advancements" in technology now takes three times longer to enter into the selected field...

I understand your frustration, but I also understand their frustration...  :frustrated:

Edited by The Lions Den
Edited response

9 hours ago, Dr. A said:

Maybe laziness or grading discrimination between what 9.6 or lower books get notes, but certainly incompetence on the grader. A grading fee should result in providing the customer with a conclusion supported by references, i.e., notes--and of course the encapsulation. 

All it takes is a few seconds to craft one basic note that could make all the difference to the customer.

I understand your frustration, and I agree with you. I hope CGC can improve in this area to satisfy the needs of their customers. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the graders don't receive any extra incentives for "note-taking."  :whistle:

On 11/10/2018 at 3:20 PM, Lamborghinikid said:

This one 

07DF16F5-4631-4494-8FF6-1D198A969F04.jpeg

While understanding the arguments from both sides on this, I do think in this grade range notes should be supplied. Even back in the Overstreet days of grading it has always been put and emphasised that the very good and fine grades are the most disputedi

If I was grading this myself in the PGM section of the boards I would seriously be wavering between the 4.5 and 5.0 grade. What do grades make, Dollars.