Cap 1 vs Bats 1
3 3

511 posts in this topic

1,102 posts
7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

From a strict cover to cover content point of view, Bat 1 is better than Cap 1 and is probably the top GA book out there from a pure content point of view.  (thumbsu

I agree.  But this is where the encapsulation process throws a wrench in the works.  It’s the cover we see, not the content. I like the cover of Cap 1 better, which I can lovingly gaze at all day every day, but I like the interior of Bat 1 better, which I’ll never get to stare at and fondle.  Its a conundrum!

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,925 posts

I love them both. Both are amazing first issues. Great covers, great stories, iconic villains. But I've always been a Batman nut so it wins by a hair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,532 posts
9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

From a strict cover to cover content point of view, Bat 1 is better than Cap 1 and is probably the top GA book out there from a pure content point of view.  (thumbsu

Good point.  Let's look at it from this angle.

Let's for fun assume that you're 10 years old and that you're back in the day.  For arguments sake, let's assume that both books are on the rack at the same time.  The books of course are 10 cents each (they have no value beyond the reading aspect) and you have but 1 dime to spend.  Which one do you buy?  And "no" there's no asking for an advance on your allowance; borrowing 10 cents from a friend etc etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,502 posts
12 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Good point.  Let's look at it from this angle.

Let's for fun assume that you're 10 years old and that you're back in the day.  For arguments sake, let's assume that both books are on the rack at the same time.  The books of course are 10 cents each (they have no value beyond the reading aspect) and you have but 1 dime to spend.  Which one do you buy?  And "no" there's no asking for an advance on your allowance; borrowing 10 cents from a friend etc etc

I'm gonna buy the one where the guy is punching Hitler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
163 posts

I'll vote for the first one of the two I'm able to acquire.  With that in mind, my vote may be outstanding for a significant amount of time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,532 posts
3 hours ago, Cimm said:

I'm gonna buy the one where the guy is punching Hitler.

I LOVE this response.  That's exactly the way some 10 year old kids would think!

If I'd already been familiar with Batman then I'd be strongly tempted to buy Batman 1.  Leafing through Captain America 1 though, my thoughts would be that the art's pretty good and the Red Skull villain looks really creepy.

I'd probably be leafing through them and flipping my dime so long that the store owner would say "Hey kid!  Are you reading or buying?"  lol

Batman #1 most likely...

Edited by pemart1966

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15,925 posts

Is the real Red Skull introduced in Cap 1? I remember it being a guy in a mask.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,871 posts
2 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Is the real Red Skull introduced in Cap 1? I remember it being a guy in a mask.

First incarnation from how I remember it to. Not Johann Schmidt.  Could be wrong though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,771 posts

I'd take Captain 1 over Batman 1 without a moment's hesitation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,871 posts

I think fiscally in the next 5 years we are going to see a tangible  separation ppp with Bats 1 winning out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582 posts
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:07 AM, Phill the Governor said:

 

But I think after all is said and done Batman's character isn't rooted in American nationalism, and thus his appeal reaches a wider audience. 

This must be the driving force b/c joker vs Cap.....  I take the superhero over the villain. 

tec27>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cap 1 but

Cap 1>bat 1

Edited by Spiderturtle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,871 posts
32 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

This must be the driving force b/c joker vs Cap.....  I take the superhero over the villain. 

tec27>>>>>>>>>>>>>Cap 1 but

Cap 1>bat 1

I always have the same argument. Hero over villain everytime on a first appearance. That’s also why I prefer Tec 38 over Bats 1 ( plus the origin ). Yeah, Tec 27 obviously isn’t in the same breath as either Cap 1 or Bats 1 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,349 posts

Batman 1 ever so slightly over Cap 1 .... just because Batman is so great and the Joker is just epic!  However, Cap 1 cover is AMAZING and Cap is also great ....... errrrr tough choice - but I stick with bats 1 ever so slightly.

For me top 4 would go: (1) Action 1, (2) Tec 27, (3) Bats 1, (4) Cap 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,775 posts

If you can't decide which book is better, just get both.  I certainly couldnt make up my mind either so I did just that :bigsmile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,871 posts
2 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

Batman 1 ever so slightly over Cap 1 .... just because Batman is so great and the Joker is just epic!  However, Cap 1 cover is AMAZING and Cap is also great ....... errrrr tough choice - but I stick with bats 1 ever so slightly.

For me top 4 would go: (1) Action 1, (2) Tec 27, (3) Bats 1, (4) Cap 1

I have Cap 1 at #3 as the greatest GA Marvel book.  I probably have All Star 8 at # 4 and Pep 22 coming in at #5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,079 posts

Cap 1 cover > Batman 1 cover

Batman 1 interior > Cap 1 interior

Two great books.  Overall I choose Cap 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,871 posts
2 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Cap 1 cover > Batman 1 cover

Batman 1 interior > Cap 1 interior

Two great books.  Overall I choose Cap 1

Cap 1 interior I think holds its own. Tons of Cap plus the origin of him / winter soldier 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,079 posts
9 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

Cap 1 interior I think holds its own. Tons of Cap plus the origin of him / winter soldier 

Cap 1 interior is great.  Red Skull is great.  Caps origin is great. Kirby art is great.  But 1st Joker & Catwoman trump all of that.

I still pick Cap 1 overall.

Edited by gadzukes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3