• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBay the ranting and venting thread

55 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, the blob said:

Don"t be ticked about a $2.25 sale if you start auctions at 99 cents. That is the risk you take. Start your auction at a price that won't you off. And then this sort of inquiry won't tick you off. With that said I have probably shipped 700-800 comics/lots in envelopes using 4 sturdy pieces of cardboard on eBay and never had a problem. I did have one here where I somehow (3 am packing) forgot to use box tape and the scotch tape came undone. That was not a problem with method, but rather, execution. 

Again it wasnt the money! I pretty much use boxes when shipping. Its like the seller thinks i dont know what im doing, but its his book so i guess i get it.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I also describe my shipping process and say when I use a box because I do often box.

With that said, I do find that sort of e-mail irritating, particularly on a cheap book.

What do you charge for shipping?

I need to strat doing that  i’ve seen people do that before seems like a good idea.

3 minutes ago, Raze said:

Again it wasnt the money! I pretty much use boxes when shipping. Its like the seller thinks i dont know what im doing, but its his book so i guess i get it.

I guess it it all how you perceive the request.  Sometimes tone is assumed by the reader of a message when it wasn't intended by the sender. 

1 minute ago, Spidey 62 said:

I guess it it all how you perceive the request.  Sometimes tone is assumed by the reader of a message when it wasn't intended by the sender. 

Agreed I think I stated that earlier in the thread.

30 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

This wasn’t a polite “please pack securely” which is completely understandable. It’s not a “hey, just curious as to how you plan on packing my books?” which is a bit hoarse-out/barn-closed but is still reasonable. 

It’s “I paid for x shipping, I expect y shipping!”  

Says who?  You are assuming the worst possible interpretation. 

3 minutes ago, MyCameo said:

At least you changed "demanding a different form of shipping after the fact" to "the seller ship using a method that may (be) different than what was stated in the listing, " since you have no idea either way.

I didn’t change anything. 

The “may be different” remark was in reference to this specific situation, which true, I don’t know what the op’s shipping method, that’s why I said it that way  

The “demanding a different shipping method” was in reference to the general remark that it’s reasonable that ‘a buyer can ask anything’ apparently at any time, including after an auction had ended. Demanding a different shipping method after the auction is over (especially after the buyer has paid) is an example of something I find unreasonable....generally speaking. 

I feel that @Number 6  is sticking up for me and I want to clarify a few things 

1)  I don’t care about the money!  Wasn’t what the thread was about i knew when i put the book up for auction it could sell for.$.99

2) i wasnt trying to be “ sensitive “  just wanted to vent and I appreciate everyone chiming in!

3)  “please ship book bag and boarded  in a pro comic book malar to prevent damage.No flimsy envelopes or cardboard please. Thanks for the great book.”  Is what the message under the notes for shipping stated. 

4) my shipping was high $6 usps first class because i had it listed as a buy it now then changed to auction to move some books out to have room. I dont normally say i ship in a box i just do it.

so a lot of  lessons learned I learned that I am insensitive and  don’t have thick skin 🙂

14 minutes ago, Raze said:

1)  I don’t care about the money!  Wasn’t what the thread was about i knew when i put the book up for auction it could sell for.$.99

2) i wasnt trying to be “ sensitive “  just wanted to vent and I appreciate everyone chiming in!

3)  “please ship book bag and boarded  in a pro comic book malar to prevent damage.No flimsy envelopes or cardboard please. Thanks for the great book.”  Is what the message under the notes for shipping stated. 

4) my shipping was high $6 usps first class because i had it listed as a buy it now then changed to auction to move some books out to have room. I dont normally say i ship in a box i just do it.

so a lot of  lessons learned I learned that I am insensitive and  don’t have thick skin 🙂

"pro comic book ma[Ie]r"

Well that sort of assumes a lot and is very specific.

23 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

Says who?  You are assuming the worst possible interpretation. 

Says the op in his original post...which, as it turns out, was not an entirely accurate description of the buyers exact message. 

I’m only reacting to information that was given at the time. 

I'm offended by the buyer's lack of punctuation, if anything...

It comes off, like:

"dont be an amateur ship in box not flimsy envelope kthxbai loser"

Instead of:

"Please ship in a box, rather than an envelope. Thank you very much. I respect your existence in every way, shape, and form. My English lets you know how sincere I am. Good day, my friend!"

I bought a 100 bundle of these 15 years ago when they were having a sale, they worked pretty well and folks liked them (either the S-164 or 165):

https://www.uline.com/BL_1301/Kraft-Easy-Fold-Mailers

And I think they kept me within the 1st class weight limit for a couple of comics. The problem is you still need to do some sort of sandwich for the comic to stop flopping around. 70 cents adds a bit to things though. I wonder how many folks get turned off by $6 shipping vs. $5?

Blech, shipping on 500 of them is almost $100...

Edited by the blob

20 minutes ago, Raze said:

What I’m “sticking up for” is the notion that if a buyer has specific concerns regarding secure shipping and/or has a preferred method of shipping (or any other concern, for that matter) the best time to address those concerns is before  a sale is completed, not after. 

I believe that works best for everyone and is much more likely to get the buyer what he wants. 

So if someone is going to offer some safe-shipping suggestions when is the least offensivw time to do so?

Before purchase?

After winning but before paying?

After paying?

It would be my opinion that making shipping suggestions prior to paying leaves the door open for the seller to ask for money to cover costs so that should be the least offensive timing.  Am I missing something because I'm reading this thread and people seem irritated by it. 

Edited by bababooey

11 minutes ago, bababooey said:

So if someone is going to offer some safe-shipping suggestions when is the least offensivw time to do so?

Before purchase?

After winning but before paying?

After paying?

It would be my opinion that making shipping suggestions prior to paying leaves the door open for the seller to ask for money to cover costs so that should be the least offensive timing.  Am I missing something because I'm reading this thread and people seem irritated by it. 

At the very least before the buyer pays so that, as you say, if their requested shipping costs more the seller can send an invoice with the appropriate amount. 

I prefer they ask before committing to a sale on the off-chance they may not like the shipping quote, that way it’s easier for the buyer to walk away. 

Edited by Number 6