• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the Best Comic Storage Short Box
1 1

25 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Magazine sized, and I personally prefer the magazine sized drawer boxes. They are strong, stackable and it is easy to get to the box at the bottom of the stack.

Thanks!  I almost made another newbie mistake!!  But I only got 125 books or so so I will probably get the top loader

6 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

The drawer boxes are large enough to also hold slabs and even magazine slabs if you lay them on the side.

Magazine with board and mylar:

20170627_225612_zps6ysqinoz.jpg

Magazine slab on the side:

20170627_225550_zpskaf0lp5d.jpg

They come with well designed dividers.

DrawerBox_Mag_2015.jpg

But what if I only want to put the golden age sized mylar in?  What about those plastic type top loader short boxes?  Will my books fit?  I don't have a lot of books and maybe only get a few more for giggles (thanks Omaha Comics!)

1 minute ago, Karl Liebl said:

But what if I only want to put the golden age sized mylar in?  What about those plastic type top loader short boxes?  Will my books fit?  I don't have a lot of books and maybe only get a few more for giggles (thanks Omaha Comics!)

are your golden aged sized bags with board larger than magazine sized? I think they are not. They will fit perfectly fine in the magazine drawer box

The plastic sized boxes: I am not sure if they have made magazine sized ones.

8 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

are your golden aged sized bags with board larger than magazine sized? I think they are not. They will fit perfectly fine in the magazine drawer box

The plastic sized boxes: I am not sure if they have made magazine sized ones.

ohhh, you are worried about height not width?  Hmmm good point...  Because the tall mylar dont fold...

Just now, Karl Liebl said:

Yes, they have magazine size plastic top loader short boxes...  Says archival quality blah blah...  I don't need a drawer I only have a 1 box collection!!

have a link? I have not seen them

I'll never understand why people pay zillions for books with white pages and then store them in cardboard boxes which are off-gassing like crazy.

These are much better-

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/5410/compact-comic-storage-box-11-x-7-1316-x-11-brfont-colorredholds-up-to-100-comicsfontbrplastic-corrugated

They are indestructible and I could stack them 4 high, no problem.

For long term storage, throw a few pieces of Microchamber paper in there and maybe a dessicant bag too.

And if you look in the other categories, you can get them for slab sizes, art book sizes, etc.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/search?searchterm=plastic+corrugated

3 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

I'll never understand why people pay zillions for books with white pages and then store them in cardboard boxes which are off-gassing like crazy.

These are much better-

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/product/5410/compact-comic-storage-box-11-x-7-1316-x-11-brfont-colorredholds-up-to-100-comicsfontbrplastic-corrugated

They are indestructible and I could stack them 4 high, no problem.

For long term storage, throw a few pieces of Microchamber paper in there and maybe a dessicant bag too.

And if you look in the other categories, you can get them for slab sizes, art book sizes, etc.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/search?searchterm=plastic+corrugated

What do you mean by off-gassing?

17 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Even in like 1979 this was a well known term as well as acid free cardboard etc...  Maybe its formaldehyde from glue, i am not certain.  The products you store your books in can affect them.  I am kind of liking the corrugated plastic boxes I linked because they fit slabs and have some water resistance.  I bought 2.  With 40 years of observation I will say a short box with acid free cardboard and decent bags (not mylar) did a pretty good job

1 hour ago, Karl Liebl said:

I am kind of liking the corrugated plastic boxes I linked because they fit slabs and have some water resistance

I will say this about the plastic boxes... be careful as you put your non-slabbed, non-mylared books in. The edges can catch the bottom of a book or trade if you aren't paying attention. Otherwise, they're great.

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Acids from the cardboard can migrate to the comics. Also, don't store your books in shelving or cabinets that have been recently stained or painted, particularly if they have enclosed doors.

3 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

I will say this about the plastic boxes... be careful as you put your non-slabbed, non-mylared books in. The edges can catch the bottom of a book or trade if you aren't paying attention. Otherwise, they're great.

Acids from the cardboard can migrate to the comics. Also, don't store your books in shelving or cabinets that have been recently stained or painted, particularly if they have enclosed doors.

No worries, all of mine have mylar or slabs