• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was Star Wars #7 and up any good?

16 posts in this topic

Never read after the movie adaption (issues 1 - 6) and, to my knowledge, SW #7 this was the first original material based off the film (or was Splinter Of The Mind's Eye novel prior to Marvel's Star Wars #7?)

Anyhoo - is Marvel's original Star Wars stories any good?

Just now, Pirate said:

No, whole series was basically krapp .  Read the new marvel series if you want decent star wars

Thanks. I remember being a kid and seeing the Star Wars (movie adaption) comics on the racks and my heart skipping a beat like the first time you saw a girl you liked only in her bra.

The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi adaptations had nice Al Williamson artwork, and issue 38 some nice Michael Golden artwork, but, generally, the new stories and art were quite mediocre and phoned-in at best.

Quite inessential as a run.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I have been re-reading a few issues here & there over the past few months. I didn't hate the filler between ANH & ESB - there is a bit of half decently written Han Solo smart alecky dialogue if nothing else. Following ESB I noticed a real drop off in the writing quality, and only got about 5-6 issues into that gap before giving up. i'll go back & try again at some point. 

For what it's worth, I got the whole run in the old, out of print Dark Horse (paperback) omnibus editions, used, at a very reasonable price - an option for someone who might just want to have a look without investing much time or money. 

1 hour ago, Not A Clone said:

I remember that I stopped reading/buying shortly after I saw rabbits running around with guns on a cover. 

Actually a shrewd decision.

25 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Actually a shrewd decision.

Had to go look at MCS to see where I stopped. It was actually long before the rabbits (which didn't have guns after all lol). It was in the 20s somewhere. I do remember seeing this cover though and thinking ugh. series ended 2 issues later.

736131.jpg

9 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

I remember that I stopped reading/buying shortly after I saw rabbits running around with guns on a cover

7 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

Had to go look at MCS to see where I stopped. It was actually long before the rabbits (which didn't have guns after all lol). It was in the 20s somewhere. I do remember seeing this cover though and thinking ugh. series ended 2 issues later.

736131.jpg

I actually thought you meant much earlier, right after the film adaptation...

1936097.jpg

I enjoy a lot of them, but I read them at an age when I wasn't necessarily great at figuring out how good the actually were.   I can say that what I enjoyed most as a kid was what I later figured out was the run mostly written by Archie Goodwin, roughly 11-50; or drawn by Walter Simonson, roughly 49-66. (There were a fair number of fill-ins.)

But as much as nostalgia make me love the series I have to admit it was hit and miss at best, without a terribly huge hit rate. I have to believe there were at least a few gems in there, however.

10 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

736131.jpg

fig1.jpg

According to Wikipedia, A Splinter of the Mind's Eye was published in March 1978, by which time I think Marvel's Star Wars comic would have been up to #12. The first original SW stuff would have been the three page strip by Thomas, Chaykin and De Zuniga in Pizzazz #1. I've not read this, but have heard it's terrible. The gun toting rabbit, Jaxxon, was inspired by a chatracter in the first film's cantina sequence who looked vaguely like Porky Pig.  Apparently he didn't go down well with George Lucas, and this hastened Roy Thomas's departure. I thought most pre-Return of the Jedi issues were decent. Favourites include the Crimson Forever by Goodwin, Williamson , Simonson and Palmer in SA #50, the Shira Brie storyline by Michelinie, Simonson and Palmer in SW #60-63, and the two issues drawn by Gene Day shortly before his tracically young death, SW #68-89.

728431.jpg

Edited by Chaykin Stevens

I have the color Marvel omnibuses, and am reading the first one now.  Nothing real memorable yet through 20 or so issues.  I'm trying to pretend I'm still 10 years old and just enjoy them for what they were: a cash grab targeted at child fans of the first film.  I'm ok with the ride so far.