2019 Collecting Goals Thread
2 2

55 posts in this topic

795 posts

I get caught up in the sparkly fresh art on ebay/dealer updates.  Someone on the board mentioned these keys to collecting, that I'll include here.

My Goal for 2019 is to not buy anything just for the sake of buying.  Only go after art that gives me goosebumps, and will give me the same enthusiasm a year from now, as the day I purchased it. And continue selling art to finance purchases.

Art I'm looking for in 2019 (and beyond)

- David Mazzucchelli Batman sketch

- Mark Bagley Venom page

- Kelley Jones Batman page

- Bruce Timm: published art or cover prelims

- Batman Knightfall art: Jim Aparo, Norm Breyfogle, Graham Nolan

- Kurt Schaffenberger Lois Lane 70-71 page (featuring Catwoman)
 

Edited by Catwoman_Fan
more goals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
984 posts
41 minutes ago, Catwoman_Fan said:

I get caught up in the sparkly fresh art on ebay/dealer updates.  Someone on the board mentioned these keys to collecting, that I'll include here.

My Goal for 2019 is to not buy anything just for the sake of buying.  Only go after art that gives me goosebumps, and will give me the same enthusiasm a year from now, as the day I purchased it. And continue selling art to finance purchases.

Art I'm looking for in 2019 (and beyond)

- Kelley Jones Batman page

- Kurt Schaffenberger Lois Lane 70-71 page (featuring Catwoman)

- David Mazzucchelli Batman sketch

- Mark Bagley Venom page

 

there's a mazz sketch on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BATMAN-YEAR-ONE-David-Mazzucchelli-Batman-Convention-Sketch-Signed/132867018116?hash=item1eef7dcd84:g:vTUAAOSwTEZb-g9M:rk:2:pf:0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,620 posts

Still trying to pick up a nice "Y the Last Man" page. Still trying to shake one loose from a few places. Also, I wouldn't mind picking up a good Aragones Groo page. Adding: I am also really intrigued by JH Williams' Premethea art. It's incredible, and I have seen a few examples pop up recently that have piqued my interest. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,697 posts

I don't think I am going to set a specific goals list this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,127 posts

Hmm. 2019 OA Goals:

As far as published stuff- I want my focus to remain very narrow. If it's not the right Valentino GOTG or What If piece, a silver age Flash --script, the right SA Cinfa Flash page, or a nice Milgrom Marvel Presents: GOTG page, then I'm hoping to avoid picking up much anything. I could be tempted by something else like a SA Doom Patrol page, a SA Green Lantern page, or a Murphy Anderson Captain Comet piece, but hopefully it'll be a rare occasion. 

Commissions are my main focus. I'd love 6 more pieces by the main artist I work with. There are two other artists that I'd love to get more pieces from, but those opportunities are rare. 

Edited by Bill C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,634 posts

Sell Sell Sell my OA.  I probably have 3 pieces I would not sell, Rest can go go go.  Make me some offers offers offers

Buy more Bronze Keys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
326 posts

For me I'd like to knock off a couple of the following:

Francis Manapul Flash OA/Flash sketch

Christan Duce Flash OA

Joe Giella Flash sketch

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,677 posts

I’m not sure where to set my goals for 2019.

I just bought my top king of the want list piece (well at least even for sale/or could be pried loose) this week and spent by far the most I ever have and likely ever will. 

I know I am going to be tempted to pick off other items now since they are so much cheaper but at some point I’m going to have use my money toward more practical things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
893 posts

Never really had art goals, I’m not a serious hobbyist. I would love to pick up a nice piece by Raphael Grampá in 2019 preferably non-hero work. Same for James Jean, (I’m always looking out for Felix’s announcements).  A Frank Miller 300 DPS has always been on my list but it’s moved beyond what I am comfortable paying. 

Edited by Oddball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
483 posts

I’ve already hit two of my 2019 goals, and will take delivery of those in 2019. The first is a series of covers while the other is a piece from my favourite artist. 

The remaining goal would be a Curse of the White Knight cover, I suppose.  

Outside of acquisitions, trimming the fat.

 

 

Edited by Mr. Machismo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
566 posts
2 hours ago, Mr. Machismo said:

I’ve already hit two of my 2019 goals, and will take delivery of those in 2019. The first is a series of covers while the other is a piece from my favourite artist. 

The remaining goal would be a Curse of the White Knight cover, I suppose.  

Outside of acquisitions, trimming the fat.

 

 

Without trimming any fat, it is an impressive and focused collection creating a greatest hits OA list of the modern-era Batman (Tim Sale/Greg Capullo/Jim Lee/Jock/SGM). Drool-worthy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,150 posts

Harvey Kurtzman - Little Annie Fanny

Joe Shuster - Superman

Gil Kane - Green Lantern oath page

Neal Adams - Batman/Deadman/Spectre

Strange Tales #135 any interior page (Jack Kirby and Ayers) Nick Fury and the introduction of S.H.I.E.L.D 

Daredevil #47 any interior page (Gene Colan and George Klein)

Ms Marvel - Dave Cockrum

Edited by Brian Peck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
165 posts

My goals are:

1) To catalogue all of my art and where I bought it and how much I bought it for

2) Put all of my art in proper mylar and boards 

3) Put all of my comics in bags and boards

4) A good Steranko Nick Fury related item

5) Research and maybe buy Sean Murphy art

6) Not buy stuff I don't love

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,053 posts
On 11/29/2018 at 8:56 PM, Mephisto said:

I’m not sure where to set my goals for 2019.

I just bought my top king of the want list piece (well at least even for sale/or could be pried loose) this week and spent by far the most I ever have and likely ever will. 

Then why haven't you told me? :baiting: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,338 posts

My 2019 goals are to focus on getting quality pieces. Ideally I would like to add 2 of the following

1) Frank Miller DD page( already found and on time payments) arrival date in 2019

2) Tim Sale page with Joker on it. Have a few Dark Victory and Long Halloween Pages, bust sadly no Joker

3) Mcfarlane Spidey page. Have seen a bunch, but waiting for the right one

4) The right Byrne X-Men page

Lastly, sell some art that no longer fits my long term focus.

Good luck to everyone and their collecting goals

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
132 posts
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:55 AM, Bill C said:

Hmm. 2019 OA Goals:

As far as published stuff- I want my focus to remain very narrow. If it's not the right Valentino GOTG or What If piece, a silver age Flash ---script, the right SA Cinfa Flash page, or a nice Milgrom Marvel Presents: GOTG page, then I'm hoping to avoid picking up much anything. I could be tempted by something else like a SA Doom Patrol page, a SA Green Lantern page, or a Murphy Anderson Captain Comet piece, but hopefully it'll be a rare occasion. 

Commissions are my main focus. I'd love 6 more pieces by the main artist I work with. There are two other artists that I'd love to get more pieces from, but those opportunities are rare. 

Will send you a PM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
525 posts

Not doing any planning for 2019.

I keep saying I’ll buy nothing year after year, and I keep doing it anyway, so why type it out. Shooting for nothing. I’m sure I’m wrong. Hopefully anything I buy is small. Really really out of walls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
849 posts

No collecting goals for 2019;  I'll just wait and see what turns up . . . and if it's for me.

I'm mostly out of comic-book art nowadays, preferring Movie Poster original paintings.  I started a Movie Poster OA Facebook group about a year ago which is now at over 1,000 members and we recently had a  get-together in Hamburg, Germany, where Italian artist Enzo Sciotti put in a guest appearance.  Next year a Rome venue is on the cards.  Paintings frequently come up for sale on my FB group, so I've effectively created a source outside of Dealer and Auction offerings . . . 

As we near the end of 2018, I did manage to acquire four nice 1950s Reynold Brown Movie paintings in recent months.  He's my all-time-favourite Movie Poster artist, so I'm ending the year on a roll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
165 posts
15 hours ago, The Voord said:

No collecting goals for 2019;  I'll just wait and see what turns up . . . and if it's for me.

I'm mostly out of comic-book art nowadays, preferring Movie Poster original paintings.  I started a Movie Poster OA Facebook group about a year ago which is now at over 1,000 members and we recently had a  get-together in Hamburg, Germany, where Italian artist Enzo Sciotti put in a guest appearance.  Next year a Rome venue is on the cards.  Paintings frequently come up for sale on my FB group, so I've effectively created a source outside of Dealer and Auction offerings . . . 

As we near the end of 2018, I did manage to acquire four nice 1950s Reynold Brown Movie paintings in recent months.  He's my all-time-favourite Movie Poster artist, so I'm ending the year on a roll.

Does any original art of French film noir posters come up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
849 posts
4 hours ago, Peter L said:

Does any original art of French film noir posters come up?

I encourage 'Wants' post on the FB group, so that's your best option, along with checking through photographs of various posts made this past year..  Currently, one of our members has a 1962 German Movie Poster painting for EVA on sale showcasing a nice image of the French actress Jeanne Moreau.

Link to my FB group (new members always welcome and you don't have to own any OA to join):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/131047770909401/

 

Eva.jpg

Edited by The Voord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2