• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I go in and out of comic collecting
1 1

20 posts in this topic

If there was a competition, I think I'd hold the record for going in, and out, of the comic book collecting hobby.  I keep getting distracted by other collecting interests, but right now, the "force is strong with this one" as Yoda would say.  I'm obsessing, and on a scale of 1 to 10, I'm at a 10.  I do think I've got at least a touch of OCD or something.  At least these days, I've learned not to sell my stuff to fund other collections.  Doing THAT in the past was a big mistake!

Any of you guys swing in and out of the hobby a lot?

to answer your question though-- that does seem excessive. Perhaps you are not quitting the hobby as much as taking a small break. I stopped collecting when I was still a teenager and only picked it back up about 4 years ago. I am not actively buying at the current time because I am trying to enjoy what I have and also sort of hit a wall between what I want to buy and being able to afford it (mostly over priced keys to complete runs). My new tact is to find the reprint versions of the books I am missing or find TPBs that fill large gaps in my collection. But lately it seems like all the books are priced excessively.

I am also impacted by folks on here talking about how they are trying to thin out their collections-- wondering if that might be a good idea for me as well.

22 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

to answer your question though-- that does seem excessive. Perhaps you are not quitting the hobby as much as taking a small break. I stopped collecting when I was still a teenager and only picked it back up about 4 years ago. I am not actively buying at the current time because I am trying to enjoy what I have and also sort of hit a wall between what I want to buy and being able to afford it (mostly over priced keys to complete runs). My new tact is to find the reprint versions of the books I am missing or find TPBs that fill large gaps in my collection. But lately it seems like all the books are priced excessively.

I am also impacted by folks on here talking about how they are trying to thin out their collections-- wondering if that might be a good idea for me as well.

Heh, thanks for the advice.  Here's some in return.  Work on one or two runs at a time, and do them in a manner that make you proud.

1 hour ago, Westy Steve said:

If there was a competition, I think I'd hold the record for going in, and out, of the comic book collecting hobby.  I keep getting distracted by other collecting interests, but right now, the "force is strong with this one" as Yoda would say.  I'm obsessing, and on a scale of 1 to 10, I'm at a 10.  I do think I've got at least a touch of OCD or something.  At least these days, I've learned not to sell my stuff to fund other collections.  Doing THAT in the past was a big mistake!

I think the instinct to collect stays with you all your life if you have it. It varies in intensity, but is always there.  A break can be good,  and invigorating.  I've had many spells off, and many intense splurges. And the focus can vary. Completism of one character one minute, a particular type of comic the next. My interests have changed dramatically over the years.  I realise I just need comics in my life.  The content varies,  but as long as you have the buzz still, when finding that book / opening that parcel, what you collect doesn't really matter. 

P.S. Selling works sometimes. Sometimes it doesn't.  As long as you're fit and healthy enough to find something new, or even collect it all again, who cares. 

57 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Heh, thanks for the advice.  Here's some in return.  Work on one or two runs at a time, and do them in a manner that make you proud.

I'm confused-- I did not offer anyone any advice or indicate that I needed any myself.

Edited by 01TheDude

33 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

I'm confused-- I did not offer anyone any advice or indicate that I needed any myself.

You offered that maybe I'm just taking small breaks (vs. some kind of mental issue).  Then you said you hit a wall and you're not collecting at the moment and you're disenchanted with the costs of the keys.  I find I can get around the "key problem" by narrowing my focus, because then I don't need to get  several keys, but rather only a couple, so it doesn't seem so insurmountable.

I started collecting in 1990 which for me was the peak time in the industry, caught me hook line and sinker, stopped collecting in 94 as my LCS went to rubbish and wasn't a huge fan of Australian newsstand editions at the time,had a 10 year break and started back up in 2005 thanks to eBay and the Internet.

Edited by PunisherPunisherPunisher
Typo

2 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

I'm in and out of consciousness in general, but yes, I'm kinda out of comics for the moment and swinging back into japanese wrist watches. 

I haven't bought or sold comics since July.  Been "out" since then, but just the buying and selling. Still been reading them though. 

Had several years where I was "out" where I wasn't reading them, just busy with RL stuff.   Since I got "in" around 1975, there have been a couple of 5-year + stretches where I wasn't actively collecting, and no new/back issue books came in or out and the only comics I read were old favorites.  But those days are past.  Mostly now though all the "new" stuff I read is just old or really old stuff I'd never read, haven't found much in the new product that inspires the fan in me.

4 hours ago, grebal said:

... Mostly now though all the "new" stuff I read is just old or really old stuff I'd never read, haven't found much in the new product that inspires the fan in me.

Same here.  So many great back issues out there that are known to be high quality.  I do think that I don't stop liking (loving?) comics, but my breaks are driven by a stronger desire to buy something else until I burn out on it, and eventually the wheel comes back around to comics.

I’ve never had any really significant break from comics in 40 + years. 

My focus has changed at times; original copies to reprint hardcovers and trade paperbacks to digital, but always a mix of old and new material.

At present I’m just reading.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Always.   I think I have sold off & rebuilt my collection 3 times.  I had some nice high grade Bronze stuff that I will probably never see again.  Or paid nothing for decent mid grade Silver, which are getting harder to find at decent prices.   It seems like the dollars are going to be too great to rebuild what I once had.   I think the final time I cash out, will be it for me.  Promise.  I swear.