1st Smurfs 1958 Spirou 1071/1072 Club
2 2

50 posts in this topic

6 posts

170259.jpg

Using the home advantage I managed to get a copy of each version :banana:

The name "schtroumpf" is translated to "smurf" in dutch. 

Edited by gnoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,188 posts
On 2/9/2019 at 3:09 AM, gnoe said:

Some of you might be interested in this fun little fact.

While the french and walloons were reading Spirou in 1958, the dutch and flemish were reading Robbedoes.

Just like Spirou, Robbedoes was printed in 2 versions with different ads.

Robbedoes 1071 appeared on the exact same date as Spirou 1071. These magazines are rare to find.

R1071-001.jpg

Thanks for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,188 posts

looks like usa comic dealers are catching on to Spirou 1071/1072.  I see 2 listings by well known usa dealers(at least well known to me) listed on ebay.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 posts

A nice looking copy of "La flûte à six Schtroumpfs" is also available on eBay, this Johan & Pirlouit album was printed in 1960 and is considered to be the first Smurf appearance in a collected edition. The first standalone Smurf comic was printed in 1963 and was called "Les Schtroumpfs Noirs". This story can be found as a "mini-rêcit" in Spirou 1107, readers had to fold the middle pages of the issue and create their own mini version of "Les Schtroumpfs Noirs". So technically the first standalone Smurf comic appeared in 1959.

915541ef-be7a-4d3c-9899-9a694ebb93f2.jpg.307df14631102ffc634a61f18238d5f5.jpg

I recently found out this story wasn't released in the USA until 2011 because of the racist undertone, and they made the black Smurf purple. Tintin all over again :facepalm:

Spirou 1130, 1147, 1211, 1235, 1244, 2435 and 2438 each contain one of these little comics. In 1963 and later on they got printed as regular comics.

 

Edited by gnoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,226 posts

This is a great thread - but I am still a bit confused - so hoping everyone could assist:

 - First Smurfs is Spirou 1071

 - First Smurfs cover is Spirou 1072 (such a great cover in the yellow as well)

 - Are there both French and Belgian editions?  If so, is one more describable/considered the original whereas the other is considered a reprint? i.e., which one do I want to purchase the French or the Belgian?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 posts

- First Smurfs is Spirou 1071 & Robbedoes 1071

- First Smurfs cover is Spirou 1072 & Robbedoes 1072

- Spirou has a Belgian and French edition. 

- Robbedoes has a Belgian and Dutch edition.

Peyo was born in Brussels so I would assume the Belgian versions are considered 'more original'. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51,906 posts
3 hours ago, gnoe said:

A nice looking copy of "La flûte à six Schtroumpfs" is also available on eBay, this Johan & Pirlouit album was printed in 1960 and is considered to be the first Smurf appearance in a collected edition. The first standalone Smurf comic was printed in 1963 and was called "Les Schtroumpfs Noirs". This story can be found as a "mini-rêcit" in Spirou 1107, readers had to fold the middle pages of the issue and create their own mini version of "Les Schtroumpfs Noirs". So technically the first standalone Smurf comic appeared in 1959.

915541ef-be7a-4d3c-9899-9a694ebb93f2.jpg.307df14631102ffc634a61f18238d5f5.jpg

I recently found out this story wasn't released in the USA until 2011 because of the racist undertone, and they made the black Smurf purple. Tintin all over again :facepalm:

Spirou 1130, 1147, 1211, 1235, 1244, 2435 and 2438 each contain one of these little comics. In 1963 and later on they got printed as regular comics.

 

I wonder if the episode below is an adaption of this story? With purple smurfs of course

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,188 posts
27 minutes ago, gnoe said:

- First Smurfs is Spirou 1071 & Robbedoes 1071

- First Smurfs cover is Spirou 1072 & Robbedoes 1072

- Spirou has a Belgian and French edition. 

- Robbedoes has a Belgian and Dutch edition.

Peyo was born in Brussels so I would assume the Belgian versions are considered 'more original'. 

I have both versions of Spirou 1071 and 1072 slabbed-Belgian and French edition but cgc does not note it in their label.  Eventually they should since supposedly the Belgian version is more rare.  the good thing is that its pretty obvious which version it is when looking at the cover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 posts

In Robbedoes the Belgian edition is referred to as 1071A, the dutch edition is 1071B.

The 1071A version had a Robbedoes-point at page 32, which was often cut out.

Other differences can be seen on page 5, 25, 28 and 32.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 posts
58 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I wonder if the episode below is an adaption of this story? With purple smurfs of course

Same story indeed.

As a kid I grew up watching the cartoons & reading the comics, and I never noticed the difference in color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2