• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Planet Run is complete! Zolnerowich would be pleased!
2 2

187 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Thanks Jason! Your own tremendous accomplishment really inspired me to get the job done!

Do you have some particular favorites ? ....like you, the interiors are a big draw for me as well..... with the exception of a few Frazettas, there aren't many books I'll buy for the cover alone. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

So things slowly started to pick back up in October 2013, with #46 and #55.

PLANET #46

Not one of the more winning covers. But heck, if you wanna complete the run, you're gonna need this one too!

46.thumb.jpg.7c87df27f5edc0a6bfbb419e79eea440.jpg

Edited by Zolnerowich

PLANET #55

A little rough around the edges, but a perfect reader copy. This great issue falls right in the middle of the Baker run, and also features great art by luminaries George Evans, Maurice Whitman, and Murphy Anderson, as well as unsung greats like Enrico Bagnoli. 

I never did understand why her knees are purple. Most every copy of #55 I've seen has purple knees.

55.thumb.jpg.d83411791763a062f819a098a7ca3fbf.jpg

By the end of 2013, I had managed to collect thirteen Planets. All of these were raw books. None of these were Rivets. 2014 was the year of my first Rivet. :bigsmile:

PLANET #53

A nice companion piece to the #55. My first copy of this book, from 2014, was fairly low-grade. The copy shown here is an upgrade, obtained from Harley Yee about 2 years ago. 

53.thumb.jpg.637472add5d2b646882bc63662f774c8.jpg

11 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

So things slowly started to pick back up in October 2013, with #46 and #55.

PLANET #46

Not one of the more winning covers. But heck, if you wanna complete the run, you're gonna need this one too!

46.thumb.jpg.7c87df27f5edc0a6bfbb419e79eea440.jpg

A role reversal cover in the 40's is anything but mundane to me, but I've noticed on a lot of the covers posted by various Boardies over the years that Planet had many a cover with a woman in the heroic role. Outside of Sheena, Wonder Woman and Mary Marvel where they were the headlining character so you'd expect it, I think it's a very notable aspect of the run.

Congrats! :golfclap:

13 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Do you have some particular favorites ? ....like you, the interiors are a big draw for me as well..... with the exception of a few Frazettas, there aren't many books I'll buy for the cover alone. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

You've hit upon what I call the Curse of the Completist. Once the Completist makes up his/her mind to complete a run, this leads to several levels of irrational decision making, including shelling out for books with just so-so covers. And which is even more confounded these days by the alchemy of slabbing, since in many/most instances, the interiors are never going to be viewed in their native state. :|

2 hours ago, sagii said:

A role reversal cover in the 40's is anything but mundane to me, but I've noticed on a lot of the covers posted by various Boardies over the years that Planet had many a cover with a woman in the heroic role. Outside of Sheena, Wonder Woman and Mary Marvel where they were the headlining character so you'd expect it, I think it's a very notable aspect of the run.

Congrats! :golfclap:

+1. 

That's a great observation. Many of the Planet covers featured women in a heroic role rather than a helpless role. Maybe it was a strategy at Fiction House to lure in more women readers... hm