• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Planet Run is complete! Zolnerowich would be pleased!
2 2

187 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

And then some more Rivets...

PLANET #11

This was one of those really lucky finds on eBay. The only other version I'd ever seen was at a dealer's booth at a Chicago show, with half of the front cover was missing. I was thrilled to land this book, especially with the awesome color strike.

The cover artist is unattributed ("Nick Cardy?" as per comics.org), but the woman at least looks very Zolnerowich-y.

11.thumb.jpg.48ea0df54cb72469f6139501d37a08ae.jpg

Great colors and a scarcer issue.

19 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Don't mind that seal. Keep moving, folks.

------------------

So by the end of 2015 I'd amassed thirty Planets, including nine Rivets. That was still less than half of the total run of 73 issues. I still didn't really believe that I'd be able to, or should even bother trying to, complete the run. First of all, there was that pesky #15, which I knew was scarce, and I think I'd seen all of one copy for sale, at low grade and high price, and figured it was probably not going to happen for me. Second of all, when I first started collecting Planets, I set an arbitrary criterion that I'd only collect through #64, as I thought the 1940's time period was coolest, and also, I didn't like the idea that six of the last nine issues were reprints (#65-70). Who needs reprints? Remember, I was collecting Planets to read them, so why buy books with reprinted material? Such was my mindset. As you'll see later, as I started closing in on the run, it was the late issues that were the biggest remaining hole in my collection. Thus many of the last books I bought were those 1950's "reprint" issues, which ironically have some of the best covers in the whole run!

OK.

Here's how 2016 started off:

PLANET #51

A Joe Doolin trifecta of a raven-haired space lady, a gooey overgrown frog, and a tastefully positioned skull.

51.thumb.jpg.5ea3f406873d0bb89dcc003c217a0c03.jpg

If you get this one graded, remember to ask CGC for a "Classic tastefully positioned skull cover" label note. 

22 hours ago, Hudson said:

Great thread, Jay, and congratulations.

I remember you and I talking about you finishing this up while we were at the Baltimore Convention this year.  I am glad you were finally able to get it done.

From looking at your bar graphs (which I really like, BTW), it appears the Planet hunt became a real addiction somewhere around 2016.

Nothing like completing a run!

Great work on a great title.

Thanks for the supportive words. Yes, it was a bit touch and go at the end. Nothing like a bit of drama before crossing the finish line.

PLANET #64

So for those of you foolish enough to have read this thread from the start, you would have learned that my initial goal was just to collect through #64, that is, through the end of the 1940's, and before the six-issue run of reprints. That all changed of course.

I am a pushover for robot covers, and this is a rather good one. That blaster target will surely fell this robot any second now!  

64.thumb.jpg.502ee54ce51cb1f0d56c2c91cd0601b8.jpg

8 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

PLANET #35

One of three Lily Renee Planet covers. We already saw the #39. For me this one takes the cake. (Cheesecake?)

This issue is often mis-wrapped, whereby the orange light in the window frame along the left edge of the cover isn't visible. I prefer copies where you can see more of the window, helping to create a more dynamic space. Mm hmm, dynamic. Like the Renaissance painters.

Like the Renee-ssance painters you mean 

So one thing I've learned is it takes a long time to post 73 books. Especially with corny annotations. lol

Kicking off the 2017 edition.

I bought at least one Planet every month except February and July. That's a pretty good sign that I was gripped with Planet Comics fever.

PLANET #59

59.thumb.jpg.03c0a75985a931b3eabaec8811fad560.jpg

On 11/27/2018 at 11:22 PM, Zolnerowich said:

Let's bring home the rest of the 2016 Planets.

PLANET #14

Said by many (well, by a few anyhow) that this book is harder to find than the #15. Census data kinda support this.

Another classic cover. Not so many purple Planets, one stand-out being #66.

This was a happy day when the hammer finally fell.

14.thumb.jpg.485861557e65f27f13efd2f1c896f2a3.jpg

I think this one is harder than the 15 but don't tell anyone :smile:

3 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

This run is amazing ‼️👍💚👍 an one of best collections I have seen since I joined the boards‼️👍👍

Well, Foggy Nelson, you have impeccable taste!

Seriously, thank you very much for those kind words. I still have another 39.7% to go, so make sure to stay tuned to this station broadcast...

Marching ever on through this space opera. More books from 2017...

PLANET #27

Two formidable dames (one of whom is green!) for the price of one book! Now that's a deal.

Not so easy to find. Really, none of the post-Rivet books between #23 and #40 show up very often. Sometimes they do pop up in waves, when one sale leads to a few more sales. Sometimes you just get lucky, like I did with this one while perusing a dealer's site at some late hour when I should have been asleep.

27.thumb.jpg.6c86537570f8276ff51b67126b65b474.jpg