• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Planet Run is complete! Zolnerowich would be pleased!
2 2

187 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, comicjack said:

I should have picked up more of Nick Cage books back then.I always tell you and Spyder that you guys are lucky to have copies (thumbsu

102_5993.thumb.JPG.aab8895a0f64c5d9bf05b61be1cdcb44.JPG

:cry:

Yes. There is a lot of luck in this funny books business. But patience also counts.

So is that copy of Planet 15 yours, Jack? Color strike is pretty close to my copy.

1 minute ago, Zolnerowich said:

Yes. There is a lot of luck in this funny books business. But patience also counts.

So is that copy of Planet 15 yours, Jack? Color strike is pretty close to my copy.

Had it since Cage sold it to make his wife happy lol

52 minutes ago, comicjack said:

I should have picked up more of Nick Cage books back then.I always tell you and Spyder that you guys are lucky to have copies (thumbsu

102_5993.thumb.JPG.aab8895a0f64c5d9bf05b61be1cdcb44.JPG

:cry:

Wow! The Nick Cage Planet 15!  What a book. (worship) Only 3 graded higher and Zolne has one of them!  I love it when boardies are the ones holding some of the best copies that exist.

I certainly do feel lucky to have one. Not a cheap club to get into with any copy. 

16 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Now the year is 2018. It's been 10+ years, on and off, in pursuit of Planet Comics. At the beginning of this year, I'm still in need of fifteen issues.

A bit of pseudo-philosophy here, which I'm sure has been said before:

When a collector decides to complete a run, there comes a point when it becomes a VERY difficult job. Imagine, when you first decide to collect Planet Comics, you own none of them, so any issue you come across is an issue you need for the collection. You can cruise along like this for a good long while; after all, there's a heckuva lot of issues you need to find, and as long as a given book fits within your price range and grade range, it's all good. But then the time comes when you're close to completing the run, and that's when it becomes a huge challenge. It's all about the statistics: the chance of finding a Planet book is very high, but the chance of finding a specific Planet book is much lower, especially when there's only a handful of specific Planet books you need to complete the run. Sort of like, the chance of someone winning the lottery is high (since after all, someone will win), but the chance of a specific person winning the lottery (let's say, Sqeggs for example), would be extremely low.

This can lead to one of three outcomes, some involving more questionable judgment than others:

1. Abandon the quest to complete
  2. Exercise extreme patience (knowing this might take another few years)
  3. Make rash and costly purchases to complete the run whatever it takes

Well, I went with option #3, mostly.

I'll make note of some of those books that -- if I hadn't felt so compelled to complete these Weird Adventures on Other Worlds -- I might have made different choices, mostly in terms of grade/quality.

But first up, a very tough book, and my last Rivet:

PLANET #17

17.thumb.jpg.6a83bbc131ebcc02149197586dd97140.jpg

so glad you bought that book, you will never regret it.

Nine of the last thirteen books I needed were late issues, between #60 and #71. As I mentioned earlier, my initial goal of just collecting the issues through the 1940's ended up coming back to bite me, as many of these had climbed in price over the years I had ignored them. 

PLANET #69

Nice dramatic tension in this one. Who will prevail? The red-winged harpy and her green minions, or the hapless space men? Or maybe it's all an innocent mix-up! :idea:

69.thumb.jpg.16c0e3c0d5568030afd2a0fd162b78ff.jpg

6 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

PLANET #61

Another molten space ship hull! We've seen this before. See: Planet #7, on page 5 of this thread. Almost a spitting image. (I prefer #7.)

61.thumb.jpg.9a8e07c6cafe132a8ef61f7b4dc6d862.jpg

And she does it barefoot

PLANET #67

One of those Circe "come hither" set-ups. Don't fall for it, boys!

Wow, just had another one of those I-never-noticed-that-on-the-cover-before moments -- from the woman's mid-thigh, look to the right, towards the right edge of the cover. You'll see that one of the spacemen has already become fatally entangled in the monster's scabby tentacles. 

67.thumb.jpg.67d71b93e60dc8723e09daa31d4f1c3c.jpg

PLANET #43

This issue isn't super hard to find, though the cover often looks a bit washed out. Thanks to Ricksneatstuff, I was able to land a nice copy with pretty vibrant colors.

Looks like most of North America is on fire. I'm sure Flint Baker and Reef Ryan (aka The Space Rangers) have it all under control.

43.thumb.jpg.bedfdefdc7058f529109062f26ffc80b.jpg

7 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

PLANET #70

One of the more classic, highly stylized sci-fi covers from the 1950's pre-code era. Covers like this really captured the menace of "otherness". The film studios were doing much the same thing stylistically with their advertisements for B movies involving weird sci-fi themes. See below for an example released by MGM (1956), which shares a lot with our #70.

70.thumb.jpg.f1b26865df9ad99c6ca11a12dda034d6.jpg

1946617967_ScreenShot2018-12-02at10_31_24PM.thumb.jpg.154ce3ca886b2379c063098fe4ed16fc.jpg

I love 70 just for how it captures that vibe!