• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

show us your Mile Highs (Edgar Church copies)
7 7

641 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Bunky Brian said:
On 12/3/2018 at 9:24 AM, Timely said:

Gerber no-show white space.

Probably the rarest Hitler cover!

Definitely a top 3 for the most unusual hero costume in the Golden Age!

power2MH.jpg

Frigging unreal rare book !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crazy tough book.  You have to credit Edgar's newsstand (or the newsstand's distributor) with carrying such a wide variety of comics, even obscure ones.  

23 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Crazy tough book.  You have to credit Edgar's newsstand (or the newsstand's distributor) with carrying such a wide variety of comics, even obscure ones.  

Well, they knew they were guaranteed at least one copy would sell... to Edgar!

Just now, Timely said:
25 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Well, they knew they were guaranteed at least one copy would sell... to Edgar!

You know, I was wondering about that.  Would it have been worth the distributor's or newsstand's while to get in a single copy to set aside for Edgar?  Maybe it was given the volume of books he was buying. hm

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

You know, I was wondering about that.  Would it have been worth the distributor's or newsstand's while to get in a single copy to set aside for Edgar?  Maybe it was given the volume of books he was buying. hm

In the early days you had the code telling you how many comics were at that location and Church was probably 20% or so of what they sold.  It was probably large enough volume in the days when a dime was a meaningful amount of money that the news stand cared.  Also, if it was a single owner business than he probably received a level of customer service you don't see as much any more.

2 hours ago, adamstrange said:

In the early days you had the code telling you how many comics were at that location and Church was probably 20% or so of what they sold.  It was probably large enough volume in the days when a dime was a meaningful amount of money that the news stand cared.  Also, if it was a single owner business than he probably received a level of customer service you don't see as much any more.

Have you ever read anything that might explain the condition of the books off the newsstand? Not once they reached Edgar's home, but at the newsstand. Did the guy set aside one copy of each issue for Church? Did Church emphasize that he wanted the book with the fewest flaws? So much lost history ...

1 minute ago, SteveDuin said:

Did Church emphasize that he wanted the book with the fewest flaws? So much lost history ...

I was thinking about this question as I was responding earlier today.  Comics would have been handled multiple times between the plant and the news stand so if so many Church copies survived in near mint or better condition then some credit has to go to the general care that was taken at every step along the way.

9 hours ago, Bunky Brian said:

funny_38_94_20180415.jpg

Isn't this the Larson?

2 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

I was thinking about this question as I was responding earlier today.  Comics would have been handled multiple times between the plant and the news stand so if so many Church copies survived in near mint or better condition then some credit has to go to the general care that was taken at every step along the way.

Keep in mind that Edgar Church wasn't a typical kid begging his news dealer to hold copies for him.  He was an established adult illustrator requesting copies as source material for his files.  It should be assumed he had a deal with a local distributor or store account to acquire undamaged copies and some care was taken to insure the customer got what he requested.  At least that's my best guess.

44 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Keep in mind that Edgar Church wasn't a typical kid begging his news dealer to hold copies for him.  He was an established adult illustrator requesting copies as source material for his files.  It should be assumed he had a deal with a local distributor or store account to acquire undamaged copies and some care was taken to insure the customer got what he requested.  At least that's my best guess.

Exactly.  I think there has been some documentation to confirm what you just said.   He was meticulous about making sure the best copies were set aside for him.

3 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Given that the codes on the books were written by the vendor for returns to the distributor, I don't think we should assume he was getting copies from the distributor. 

Those Targets are sweet! I'm pretty sure those are ones I saw raw before they were slabbed.

Per Chuck:

An interesting sidebar to this story is that Mr. Church was apparently the first person in the history of comics to have his issues reserved for him! He had one copy of every comic printed put aside for him by his local newsstand starting with ACTION COMICS #1 (that book is even marked very lightly in pencil with his name!) in 1938.

3 hours ago, buttock said:

Given that the codes on the books were written by the vendor for returns to the distributor, I don't think we should assume he was getting copies from the distributor. 

An oft-discussed theory is that the penciled letters & numbers in the upper left hand corner (or on cover logos) of most early 40's Church pedigree books represent which distributor specific lines of books originate along with dates received.   If that's the case, it doesn't seem logical that these books were designated as returns regardless of whether they were set aside by a vendor or purchased directly from a distributor.   hm

5 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

An oft-discussed theory is that the penciled letters & numbers in the upper left hand corner (or on cover logos) of most early 40's Church pedigree books represent which distributor specific lines of books originate along with dates received.   If that's the case, it doesn't seem logical that these books were designated as returns regardless of whether they were set aside by a vendor or purchased directly from a distributor.   hm

The reason that vendors put distributor codes on books was so that they would know which distributor they should return the books to in case of a non-sale.  I never said they were designated for returns.  The point that I'm making is that the fact that they had distributor codes written on them means that they had already made it to the newsstand, so they would not have been obtained directly from the distributor.  That's flat out wrong.