• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

COMICLINK Fall Featured Auction
1 1

180 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I was starting to doubt my gut reaction to how great that cover is. That image, that art team, those inks, the whole thing was haunting me it was so damn good. 

It nearly tripled in bid amount in the last 2 minutes, and every last penny is justified IMHO. 

Have to say that as someone that actually read the New Defenders I dislike that cover because it had nothing to do with the issue. Angel, Gargoyle and Valkyrie weren't even featured in the story. Feel cheated by it. Obviously at least two people felt very differently than me.

Edited by rotembk
Spelling

34 minutes ago, rotembk said:

Have to say that as someone that actually read the New Defenders I dislike that cover because it had nothing to do with the issue. Angel, Gargoyle and Valkyrie weren't even featured in the story. Feel cheated by it. Obviously at least two people felt very differently than me.

I get that. I used to feel that way when I was picking up comics every week and tried to judge by the cover if I spent the cash. 

But, man, if we judge artwork by the interior story matching the cover then no cover printed after 1992 is worth anything. lol 

2 hours ago, rotembk said:

Have to say that as someone that actually read the New Defenders I dislike that cover because it had nothing to do with the issue. Angel, Gargoyle and Valkyrie weren't even featured in the story. Feel cheated by it.

+1.  Also not a fan of duckface Valkyrie. 

1 hour ago, AnkurJ said:

Lot of soft prices. Thank goodness I had a reserve on a few of my pieces.

Buyer's market for sure overall. Definitely not a bull market for lower-end art. 

Edited by delekkerste

1 hour ago, DJRome said:

$6555 for the Gammill Action cover. I'm happy to see an underrated artist getting proper respect for a change!

This was a definite eyebrow raiser. Lots of pent up early-90s Superman love.

Kaluta consignor has to be fairly happy too. Well bought though. Is that an artist record?

And Aparo KGBeast might be suffering from 1st appearance-itus. Too pricey, imo.

8 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Wow, just saw this one. Someone must be REALLY into KGBeast!

1 hour ago, Bill C said:

Interesting results on the Cinfa SA Flash pages-

The pages from 119 and 135 seemed like healthy current values.

But that page with Flash (in costume and in action) from 112 (as far as I know, the earliest SA Flash issue to be on the market) only hitting like 2.4K seems like a really good buy.

Same with the later page from 132 with Flash in costume in a few panels. Not even 2K for that one. 

Seemed like for a while full panel pages with Flash in costume (even poorly rendered) would see 3K or so as the floor.

#112 was the best buy for sure, I was debating picking one of these pages up, but none of them had the images/story for me so I held off.

7 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Haha. That KGBeast was my too pricey buy. It goes into my collection alongside a Zeck cover recreation on #420, and two other production covers from Ten Nights. Excited to see it pop up. 

Bob

3 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Haha. That KGBeast was my too pricey buy. It goes into my collection alongside a Zeck cover recreation on #420, and two other production covers from Ten Nights. Excited to see it pop up. 

Bob

No offense, Bob! Enjoy it. :foryou: We both have much love for that story.

What did the Hughes cover hit pre-reserve? $8K? Lot passed at $18K.

26 minutes ago, cstojano said:

Kaluta conan for 64k, owner was asking 65k on CAF I believe so seems to have fallen in line with expectations. 

16 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

Kaluta consignor has to be fairly happy too. Well bought though. Is that an artist record?

That Kaluta price is less than what the piece sold for more than a decade ago to one of the previous owners.  Not sure what the consignor has into it, but, I'm guessing any happiness is just relief at not taking a huge bath on it.  

There's a lot of quality art out there that is slowly, but surely, losing its collector base to age (one of the topics discussed on the latest Felix Comic Art podcast).  What's going to blow people's minds is when it starts happening to more mainstream superhero art from certain periods and not just more niche interests and genre art. 2c 

27 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

What is 1st appearance-itis? ???  

I really enjoyed this era of Batman...cool page. 

There has definitely been a revival of appreciation and interest in Aparo art over the past couple of years - nice to see as an Aparo fan.  That said, I am skeptical that this revival is going to have long-term legs.  Right now, Aparo is the forgotten man that's been rediscovered by older (mid-to-late 40s and 50s mainly) fans/collectors, but, I see that interest aging out along with a lot of other artists over time, sad to say. 2c 

22 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Bob

Did you add anymore Don Newton pages to the collection? I was very tempted by the end page from #367.

4 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

That Kaluta price is less than what the piece sold for more than a decade ago to one of the previous owners. 

I didn't realize that. It blows away anything in the HA history by a wide margin, but I realize that's an incomplete picture. It's one of the strongest Kaluta examples I've seen (plus Conan points to pull in that crowd (same crowd?)). It feels like it might be bucking the trend based on the strength of this particular image.