• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC sales forum. Why can't people follow the rules? Mods, please read!

54 posts in this topic

There are over half a dozen threads in the Modern Sales Forum that have been removed because people can't be bothered to read or follow the usage guidelines and rules. This has made a terrible mess by cluttering everything up. 

Is there a way to force people to read the rules? Perhaps set up a "check the box if you've read the policy" page for people who want to start a thread in that forum. Force people to read the rules and check the box before they can post a sales thread? 

I know this isn't foolproof. 30% of the noobs would likely break the rules anyway. But at least it's a start? 

I don't want to direct all of my vengeance towards the noobs. There are a handful of stalwart veterans who continually violate smaller rules, like posting acceptable methods of payment. And words like "standard rules apply" aren't helpful at all. What does that mean, exactly? 

Another solution might be to provide some sort of common template for people to use when they set up a sales thread. The system would kick them out if they didn't fill in all of the required areas. This would pretty much force people to follow the rules. 

It's a shame that adults can't read or police themselves, but nothing surprises me in 2018. 

Thoughts? 

10 minutes ago, newshane said:

There are over half a dozen threads in the Modern Sales Forum that have been removed because people can't be bothered to read or follow the usage guidelines and rules. This has made a terrible mess by cluttering everything up. 

Is there a way to force people to read the rules? Perhaps set up a "check the box if you've read the policy" page for people who want to start a thread in that forum. Force people to read the rules and check the box before they can post a sales thread? 

I know this isn't foolproof. 30% of the noobs would likely break the rules anyway. But at least it's a start? 

I don't want to direct all of my vengeance towards the noobs. There are a handful of stalwart veterans who continually violate smaller rules, like posting acceptable methods of payment. And words like "standard rules apply" aren't helpful at all. What does that mean, exactly? 

Another solution might be to provide some sort of common template for people to use when they set up a sales thread. The system would kick them out if they didn't fill in all of the required areas. This would pretty much force people to follow the rules. 

It's a shame that adults can't read or police themselves, but nothing surprises me in 2018. 

Thoughts? 

The best places for posts like these are probably the Sales Forum General Discussion Thread:

and the Sales Forum Usage Guidelines Comment Thread:

Perhaps you may even gain the ear of Architect.

1 minute ago, Pontoon said:

The best places for posts like these are probably the Sales Forum General Discussion Thread:

and the Sales Forum Usage Guidelines Comment Thread:

Perhaps you may even gain the ear of Architect.

I realize this, but far more people read this thread than the ones you mentioned. 

3 hours ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

I’ve always thought pre-approved sales posts would be the only way to prevent rule breaking threads. Didn’t know if it was possible to do though. 

it is. Topics have to be pre-approved by mods in the Ask CGC section of the forum before they are posted. I know this because I made a topic today in that section. 

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

A solution in search of a problem. 

Why waste a moderators time pre approving a thread when a half dozen members will examine each one with a microscope ,hoping to find a rule unadhered to. 

I think a better solution is a template that forces fields to be completed before posting.Kind of like eBay, but far simpler. 

No need to waste a moderator's time. 

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

.... a half dozen members will examine each one with a microscope ,hoping to find a rule unadhered to. 

I don't think it's an issue with the board police. It's more about making things crystal clear to potential buyers. What if someone throws up the :takeit:and tries to pay with PayPal, then the buyer says "my bad, I don't take PayPal." If it wasn't clarified in the initial post, then it opens up a slippery slope and room for all sorts of confusion and ill-will. 

I expect no more than what the boards currently require - method of payment, method of shipment, and returns. Don't post items for sale on multiple venues. Provide pics and a description. You wouldn't think that would be too much to ask, but apparently it is. 

For the payment line, it should say (No adding a surcharge for Paypal)  The description should say (Must include a price, Also, scans and/or grade)  The shipping and return policy lines should be self explanatory.  

Edited by comicdonna

53 minutes ago, kav said:

Someone now design the template

I'd be happy to do so, but I am afraid that coding is beyond my skill-set. Seems like it would be a breeze for someone who halfway knew what they were doing. 

I'd say a series of simple boxes for the required fields: 

1. Title 

2. Method of payment

3. Special payment terms

4. Method of shipment 

5. Returns accepted? 

6. Terms of item return 

7. Special sales thread rules (first "I'll Take It" wins, PM sales accepted, etc.)

8. Asking price 

9. Item description 

ATTACH PICTURE FILE HERE 

Once someone enters information in each field, they will be required to check a box affirming they have read the board rules. 

LINK TO BOARD RULES

CHECK HERE TO CONFIRM YOU HAVE READ THE BOARD RULES