• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-Men #12

7 posts in this topic

Hey, Hoping to get some advice on my X-Men 12, I dont know how to grade because the book is kinda off center, I'm sure theres a name for it but its not folded perfectly straight....other than that its ok.

thanks

PS Pictures didnt come out good again, I'm having a hell of a time figuring out how to get good lighting, please do the best you can with what you can see...

1544304592054-c4e36e4c-2417-48d8-beec-97cebc81cec4_.jpg

20181208_163410.jpg

20181208_163416.jpg

20181208_163422.jpg

20181208_163426.jpg

20181208_163440.jpg

20181208_163445 (2).jpg

20181208_163445.jpg

20181208_163449.jpg

The uneven wrap of the cover is a printing/bindery defect.

Printing/bindery defects are allowed in almost all grades without a deduction in grade depending on the number of defects and the severity.

In this case the miswrapped cover does detract from "Eye Appeal" which IMO would lower the grade.

Bindery Defect - Defects associated with the binding process, including mistrimming, miswrapping, inaccurate stapling, etc. 
Bindery Trimming Defect Taxonomy - Comic is not cut/trimmed correctly at the bindery.

Type I - Cover cut squarely:

• la. - Cover square--rectangular part of back cover shows along spine or right edge of front cover.
  • lb. - Cover square--triangular part of back cover shows along spine or right edge of front cover.
  • lc. - Cover square--white unprinted rectangular strip at either top or bottom of front cover indicating that cover traveled before trimming.
  • ld. - Cover square--white unprinted triangular strip at either top or bottom of front cover indicating that cover traveled before trimming.
  • le. - Same as la but applies to back cover.
  • lf. - Same as lb but applies to back cover.
  • lg. - Same as lc but applies to back cover.
  • lh. - Same as ld but applies to back cover.

Type 2 - Cover not cut squarely:

• 2a, 2b, 2c, 2d, 2e, 2f, 2g, 2h. - Cover not square/otherwise same as la, lb, lc, 1d, le, lf, lg, lh.
  • 2i. - Cover not square/no other defects.

Looking at the book pictured, IMO the miswrapped cover keeps this book from being a FN/VF 7.0 so I give it a...

FN+ 6.5.

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF): 
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present

those are some terrible pictures, but I don't actually see many defects on this book:  unsightly miswrap (not really a defect), few small color breaking spine creases, minor top cover edge wear, moderately rounded corners, minimal cover wear, great colors and gloss, no stains or tears visible

Granted, the pictures are blurry and poorly lit, but from what I see:

CGC 8.0.  If you post better pics with better lighting, will revisit and update

On 12/9/2018 at 9:11 AM, marvelmaniac said:

The uneven wrap of the cover is a printing/bindery defect.

Printing/bindery defects are allowed in almost all grades without a deduction in grade depending on the number of defects and the severity.

In this case the miswrapped cover does detract from "Eye Appeal" which IMO would lower the grade.

Bindery Defect - Defects associated with the binding process, including mistrimming, miswrapping, inaccurate stapling, etc. 
Bindery Trimming Defect Taxonomy - Comic is not cut/trimmed correctly at the bindery.

Type I - Cover cut squarely:

• la. - Cover square--rectangular part of back cover shows along spine or right edge of front cover.
  • lb. - Cover square--triangular part of back cover shows along spine or right edge of front cover.
  • lc. - Cover square--white unprinted rectangular strip at either top or bottom of front cover indicating that cover traveled before trimming.
  • ld. - Cover square--white unprinted triangular strip at either top or bottom of front cover indicating that cover traveled before trimming.
  • le. - Same as la but applies to back cover.
  • lf. - Same as lb but applies to back cover.
  • lg. - Same as lc but applies to back cover.
  • lh. - Same as ld but applies to back cover.

Type 2 - Cover not cut squarely:

• 2a, 2b, 2c, 2d, 2e, 2f, 2g, 2h. - Cover not square/otherwise same as la, lb, lc, 1d, le, lf, lg, lh.
  • 2i. - Cover not square/no other defects.

Looking at the book pictured, IMO the miswrapped cover keeps this book from being a FN/VF 7.0 so I give it a...

FN+ 6.5.

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF): 
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present

thank you for info it was quite helpful

I had it graded solely on appearance as a 7.0 to 7.5....but had no clue what kind of effect the "printing/bindery defect." would on it....so I noted it could be as Low as a 4.0....

I'm glad to know exactly what the name of the defect is and that it doesnt effect the grade as much as I potentially speculated