• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC 52 Big Pages (later 48) 25 cent appreciation club
4 4

151 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2022 at 7:00 PM, MAR1979 said:

Thanks -  Vinny and Carbonaro acquired the collection July 1998. Myself and buddy like you went to Vinny's home (actually his parents) Mid Aug 1998. We were granted early access but others had been going through Vinny portion of the collection for at least 7-10 days prior so all books that were keys in that era were gone. Still, I did pick up a pile of books that at the time were very difficult to find in high grade. Good times!

Yep, there ya go, 1998. Just before he partnered up with Steven, I think. Yes, by the time I got there a lot of the keys were gone. I am fairly sure he had the collection at a convention before I got to it.  Still, i purchased a boat load of books that day and was very happy with them. Those were fun days. 

On 10/19/2021 at 7:51 PM, kav said:

The DC 52 big pagers introduced me to the golden age.

Me too.  They ran a lot of reprints in those books.  It was an amazing time. 

On 10/10/2022 at 6:54 PM, Senormac said:

Me too.  They ran a lot of reprints in those books.  It was an amazing time. 

for some reason the sandman reprints really struck me-he seemed so mysterious.

Golden Age Insanity: Sandman — Nick Peron

On 10/9/2022 at 6:53 PM, Humpty-Dumpty said:

I went to Vincents house to buy some books from this collection, way back when, I think it was 1994 when he introduced this collection? I rifled through hundreds of those Oakland books that day. Anyway, beautiful book. 

And you came away with..........................?  

On 10/9/2022 at 10:57 PM, kav said:

another of my favorite all time stories

Bedrock City Comic Company. Action Comics #409

A decade or so before my time, but can appreciate that Nice Cardy cover.  I'm lucky enough to have purchased the Oakland in 1998. Probably presses out to a 9.8 but I'm not looking to throw the funds at it even if my slab has small crack.

image.thumb.jpeg.7d83a21174c9408a251e91da60487369.jpeg

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/10/2022 at 6:57 PM, kav said:

for some reason the sandman reprints really struck me-he seemed so mysterious.

Golden Age Insanity: Sandman — Nick Peron

Justice League #94 ??  something near there 

On 10/9/2022 at 10:00 PM, MAR1979 said:

Thanks -  Vinny and Carbonaro acquired the collection July 1998. Myself and buddy went to Vinny's home (actually his parents) Mid Aug 1998. We were granted early access but others had been going through Vinny's portion of the collection for at least 7-10 days prior so all books that were keys in that era were gone. Still, I did pick up a pile of comics all of which at the time were difficult, specifically the DC's, to find in high grade. Good times!

One day the Adventure 409 may even return to me? Was sent to CGC in a Mid Sept 2021 submission....

Back to me 57 weeks after I shipped it to CGC - not sure if that deserves a smiley or frown? 

It's in an extra double thick slab.

By my estimate only 1/5 Oakland's have White Pages. This is now one of them.

Adventure_408.jpg

Edited by MAR1979