• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ComicConnect's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
21 21

4,166 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

I had my eye on this book until it became the price of a small vehicle. Watched it all throughout the auction, it was actually at a very reasonable price up until the last few days. Restored or not that is one beautiful book.  I don't know why Lou and I keep having our eye on the same books. :baiting:

Lou is all over3a21ce4b304bd43eb630062c70b44555.jpg.5de9bd0b270b3ed040af839cac082416.jpg@lou_fine:roflmao:I had my eye on this book also till the price went for what a new Camry would cost.

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Was reading the CC article from the Scoop newsletter which I receive every Friday and noticed one of their noted highlights here:  :applause:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/900731

all4.892_2.jpg

Especially good to see that this gorgeous presenting copy here was still able to sell for $20,940 or for a healthy 41.5% premium over condition guide valuation, even though it was residing in one of those much dread PLOD holders, albeit with only Slight (A1) restoration work.  :golfclap:

I guess with restoration, it still really depends on both the extent and the quality of the restoration work because a CGC 7.0 graded copy of Action 7 with Mod/Ext (B-4) restoration work only sold for a tiny fraction of condition guide (i.e. 14.6% only), while a CGC 7.0 graded copy of More Fun 73 with Slight/Mod (A-2) restoration work sold at a discount of 67.5% to condition guide.  hm  (thumbsu

Oh what a gorgeous looking book that is. My copy of the other great Grundy cover (All-Star 33) is Restored, so I have no issues buying a PLOD copy when it's in my price range. Alas, this copy...was not.

18 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

I had my eye on this book until it became the price of a small vehicle. Watched it all throughout the auction, it was actually at a very reasonable price up until the last few days. Restored or not that is one beautiful book.  

2 hours ago, bpc3qh said:

Oh what a gorgeous looking book that is. My copy of the other great Grundy cover (All-Star 33) is Restored, so I have no issues buying a PLOD copy when it's in my price range. Alas, this copy...was not.

And I imagine why this rather stunning copy was still able to sell for a healthy premium at 141.5% to condition guide, and yet this copy of Action 7 was able to sell at a rather low discount of only 14.6% to condition guide, even with the Vinnie promo video hyping it at the bottom of the auction listing:  :(

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/900302

act1.15963.jpg

Hmmmmm...........................maybe it was the Vinnie promo video that did this book in?  lol

The AA 61 has a Slight (A-1) designation meaning the quantity of restoration is very small and the methods/materials used are of professional quality. So pre-restoration, the AA 61 was likely still a mid to high grade book. Coupled with the fact that the fan-favorite classic cover is likely under-priced in most guides, the big premium over guide values doesn't really surprise me.

On the other hand, the Action 7 has a Mod,/Ext. (B-4) designation, signifying a high amount of restoration work, coupled with the fact that the materials used were not top-grade ("B" vs "A"). It's likely this book was low-grade before the restoration work so it selling for a fraction of guide value makes sense to me! 

But we can both agree the promo videos are a little much:bigsmile:

8 minutes ago, 10centcomics said:

On the other hand, the Action 7 has a Mod,/Ext. (B-4) designation, signifying a high amount of restoration work, coupled with the fact that the materials used were not top-grade ("B" vs "A"). It's likely this book was low-grade before the restoration work so it selling for a fraction of guide value makes sense to me! 

Totally understand this, but given this extremely low discount to condition guide, it seems more in line with a Extensive (C-5) restoration designation.  (shrug)

If you take into consideration that unrestored copies of Action 7 normally sells at a huge premium to condition guide, this is probably really more like a 95% haircut scalping to the marketplace value of an universal CGC 7.0 graded copy of Action Comics 7.  :fear:  

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Totally understand this, but given this extremely low discount to condition guide, it seems more in line with a Extensive (C-5) restoration designation.  (shrug)

If you take into consideration that unrestored copies of Action 7 normally sells at a huge premium to condition guide, this is probably really more like a 95% haircut scalping to the marketplace value of an universal CGC 7.0 graded copy of Action Comics 7.  :fear:  

Agreed.  That restored copy presents very nice. You can't convince me it's worth less than this copy that sold for $27K a year ago.

a7.jpg

22 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

Agreed.  That restored copy presents very nice. You can't convince me it's worth less than this copy that sold for $27K a year ago.

a7.jpg

I have had all my books Restored in the 80's when they where not down graded for restoration. I bought this last year little under 25k from a friend but i don't like the way it looks next to the restored 7.0 

Action 7 1.0 pic 3.jpg

Action 7 1.0 pic 6.jpg

Personally, I have no problem buying restored books, especially GA books. If I can get big books at a discount, I'm going to do it, especially if the books look good. I'm not trying to resell things quickly, so the discounts' only effect is keeping my wallet a little further from empty when I pay for the new additions.

1 hour ago, Crowzilla said:

Why?  One's nice appearance is fake, while the other's appearance, while not particularly attractive, is the real thing.

2 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Why?  One's nice appearance is fake, while the other's appearance, while not particularly attractive, is the real thing.

Yes after all these years it is only unrestored once and real Survivor 1 time (worship)

Edited by woowoo

2 hours ago, tth2 said:

I doubt it started life any worse than the 1.0, so it should be worth at least the 1.0 price plus cost of restoration.

But more likely it was better than a 1.0 to start with and now it is worth less because someone spent a couple of dimes to make it look better.

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

And I imagine why this rather stunning copy was still able to sell for a healthy premium at 141.5% to condition guide, and yet this copy of Action 7 was able to sell at a rather low discount of only 14.6% to condition guide, even with the Vinnie promo video hyping it at the bottom of the auction listing:  :(

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/900302

act1.15963.jpg

Hmmmmm...........................maybe it was the Vinnie promo video that did this book in?  lol

I bought that one, and surprisingly there were no other live bidders.

Someone had previously bid their max and maybe had to go to work or whatever, so I just had to figure out his top bid...thought there would have been more competition on that one, like there was on the More Funs.

7 hours ago, quicksilver said:

Someone had previously bid their max and maybe had to go to work or whatever, so I just had to figure out his top bid...thought there would have been more competition on that one, like there was on the More Funs.

So looks like you have an under copy going up for sale soon :whistle:

10 hours ago, quicksilver said:

Wow, congrats on what appears to be a very astute pickup of a nicely presenting copy of Action 7 relative to its assigned grade.  :applause:

Especially with respect to the price point which seems like a steal of a deal at what would appear to be at only single digit fractions to market value for an unrestored Universal copy.  Past history from the CC auction archives also indicate that similarly graded or even slightly lower graded Mod restored copies of this book has sold in either the same price or at a higher price point in past year, and well before this big run up in prices on comic books.  (thumbsu

So, it definitely looks like you did well with your purchase here on this go round and it would also appear that we need not wait very long until we get another chance to see how the next one does, as this next one which I just noticed on their website should no doubt push up the value of your copy and reinforce the price which you had paid for it:  :luhv:  :taptaptap:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/908246

act1.16020.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

40 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Wow, congrats on what appears to be a very astute pickup of a nicely presenting copy of Action 7 relative to its assigned grade.  :applause:

Especially with respect to the price point which seems like a steal of a deal at what would appear to be at only single digit fractions to market value for an unrestored Universal copy.  Past history from the CC auction archives also indicate that similarly graded or even slightly lower graded Mod restored copies of this book has sold in either the same price or at a higher price point in past year, and well before this big run up in prices on comic books.  (thumbsu

So, it definitely looks like you did well with your purchase here on this go round and it would also appear that we need not wait very long until we get another chance to see how the next one does, as this next one which I just noticed on their website should no doubt push up the value of your copy and reinforce the price which you had paid for it:  :luhv:  :taptaptap:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/908246

act1.16020.jpg

Many thanks for your encouraging words Lou - it seemed like a wise purchase to me at that grade/price point, even I already have a lower graded copy...have to say the next man up looks tremendous 👌

5 hours ago, woowoo said:

So looks like you have an under copy going up for sale soon :whistle:

I can see why you would say that, but the under copy is actually out in Oregon being worked on, so it will probably be a good while yet I'm afraid.

You're quite to welcome to put first dibbs on it though 👍

Edited by quicksilver

13 minutes ago, quicksilver said:

Many thanks for your encouraging words Lou - it seemed like a wise purchase to me at that grade/price point, even I already have a lower graded copy...have to say the next man up looks tremendous 👌

Yes indeed, as the next copy up in the batting circle certainly does appear tremendous to say the least.  (thumbsu  :luhv:

Almost makes me wonder if some of the potential bidders in the know might just have gotten wind of this upcoming copy and explains why there might have been no other live bidders on your copy.  Either way, it doesn't matter now as it certainly looks like it worked out perfectly for you with no other competing live bids to go up against you in the extended bidding sessions which is definitely a rarity when it comes to CC's auction format for these types of quality books.  ^^    :takeit:

2 hours ago, quicksilver said:

I can see why you would say that, but the under copy is actually out in Oregon being worked on, so it will probably be a good while yet I'm afraid.

You're quite to welcome to put first rings on it though 👍

From your sig line it looks like it's a restored 5.0 are you redoing it ?. I sold my Detective 3 and 4 to Ian 2004 at the time he told me you had an upper grade Fantasy 15 for 7500 that i wanted but when i was going to have him pick it up for me he said you wanted more so i never got it. let me know what the Action 7 is graded at when you get it.