• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best of 2018: less than 12 hours left to post your entries

25 posts in this topic

Hi Brian,

I revisited the results of Best of 2017 and I noticed that the very top "entry" has very high votes, say like 70, but the "owner" and "title" are blank. Right below that will be what looks like the entry that received the most votes, say like 25, with the owner and title listed. The total number of entries that received at least one vote doesn't seem to match that "blank" entry. So I'm wondering what is meaning behind that high number? Thanks!

1 hour ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Hi Brian,

I revisited the results of Best of 2017 and I noticed that the very top "entry" has very high votes, say like 70, but the "owner" and "title" are blank. Right below that will be what looks like the entry that received the most votes, say like 25, with the owner and title listed. The total number of entries that received at least one vote doesn't seem to match that "blank" entry. So I'm wondering what is meaning behind that high number? Thanks!

People could have removed it from their Lowry 

Malvin 

6 minutes ago, malvin said:

People could have removed it from their Lowry 

Malvin 

No, it's just a computer glitch.  You can ignore the blank fields with the meaningless number next to it - it's showing that for every category now and wasn't there when the results were initially released last January.  The numbers don't appear to tie to anything.  

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

No, it's just a computer glitch.  You can ignore the blank fields with the meaningless number next to it - it's showing that for every category now and wasn't there when the results were initially released last January.  The numbers don't appear to tie to anything.  

That's right. I now remember the most voted pieces being very clear cut. There was nothing confusing about the results.

On 12/29/2018 at 12:26 AM, Brian Peck said:

Bill is working to get the Lowry setup for the Best of 2018. I will post when it is ready for you to post your entries. 

Here are the rules and information on Best of 2018. Do not add any images to Lowry until after I post the Best of 2018 is ready. If you do the Best of 2018 option will not be present and you would have to repose when it officially opens for entries.

Below is instructions on how to upload images and descriptions for the entries. We have set aside a week for people to upload their stuff and then voting will begin. 

Best of 2018 Published and Unpublished (happens at the same time)
You will have up to 5 entries and they can be in any of the 7 categories:Published Covers (Unpublished covers as well)

Does this mean 5 entries total over all of the categories or 5 per category?

Happy New Year!

1 hour ago, Brian Peck said:

Three days til you can enter in the Best of 2018. Time to decide on what your 5th entry will be. Ya that one is always the toughest.

If I read the rules correctly, we could enter 5 pieces in one category.  Am I correct?

On 12/29/2018 at 3:26 AM, Brian Peck said:

Bill is working to get the Lowry setup for the Best of 2018. I will post when it is ready for you to post your entries. 

Here are the rules and information on Best of 2018. Do not add any images to Lowry until after I post the Best of 2018 is ready. If you do the Best of 2018 option will not be present and you would have to repose when it officially opens for entries.

Below is instructions on how to upload images and descriptions for the entries. We have set aside a week for people to upload their stuff and then voting will begin. 

You will have up to 5 entries and they can be in any of the 7 categories:Published Covers (Unpublished covers as well)
Published Splashes, Pin-Ups
Published Interior Panel pages
Published Strip Art
Published/Unpublished Commissions (work artist drawn outside of conventions)
Unpublished Sketch Covers/Convention Sketches (artwork drawn at conventions)
Published/Unpublished Other (all Published/Unpublished material which doesn’t fall into the other 6 categories (drawings, prelims, Style Guides, Rock Poster art, illustrations. etc.))

Posting Entries Begins: Saturday January 5th
Posting Ends: Jan 13 11:59PM (Sunday)

Best Published Acquisitions of 2018.
This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2018 that has appeared or is/was scheduled to appear or created to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all published material, unpublished covers, and similar items.

Best Unpublished Acquisitions of 2018.
This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2018 that has not appeared and is not scheduled to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all unpublished material (except unpublished covers and pages), drawings, prelims, Style Guides. sketches commissions ect.

Procedure for adding entries:

1) Goto http://www.comicartfans.com/Login.asp
2) Select Login then Admin/Edit User Profile
3) Select Manage/Manage Galleries Preferences
4) Select Your Lowry and add pieces (if you have not used the Lowry before)
5) Click the 'View/Add Pieces' link and then click the 'Add New  
Artwork' link.
6) Add a piece as you usually do to the caf but there is an additional field "Best of 2018"
7) Please include the artists names (both penciler and inker if it  applies)
8) There are 6 categories to chose from:

Published Covers (Unpublished covers as well)
Published Strip Art
Published/Unpublished Other (all Published/Unpublished material which doesn’t fall into the other 6 categories (drawings, prelims, Style Guides, Rock Poster art, illustrations. etc.))

9) Select Active

Voting starts Monday January 14th (Monday)
Voting end January 20th (Sunday)

In everyone's CAF there is a yellow section in the lower left there is a "Art by Year" section. It breaks down when pieces are posted by year.

I will post instruction on where and how to go about voting for the Best of before voting day.

Safe to say, if you participated last year, and have art in your Lowry, from last year, you need to remove the art to free up your 5 entry slots? 

6 minutes ago, Stefanomjr said:

Safe to say, if you participated last year, and have art in your Lowry, from last year, you need to remove the art to free up your 5 entry slots? 

Yes, that is correct. 

And if anyone cares about such silly things like I do, you may want to record the vote count your pieces received because once they’re gone, they’re gone. I regret not doing that in the previous years. A simple screen shot should do. 

13 minutes ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Yes, that is correct. 

And if anyone cares about such silly things like I do, you may want to record the vote count your pieces received because once they’re gone, they’re gone. I regret not doing that in the previous years. A simple screen shot should do. 

Great idea! But seems that data is gone! And 2017 Best of is all blank? 

Edited by Stefanomjr
Update

Bill turned on the Best of 2018 early so post your entries. 

Published Strip Art

Posting Entries Begins: Today
Posting Ends: Jan 13 11:59PM (Sunday)

Best Published Acquisitions of 2018.
This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2018 that has appeared or is/was scheduled to appear or created to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all published material, unpublished covers, and similar items.

Best Unpublished Acquisitions of 2018.
This theme lists each participating member's best acquisition of 2018 that has not appeared and is not scheduled to appear in a comic book or comic book related publication. This category includes all unpublished material (except unpublished covers and pages), drawings, prelims, Style Guides. sketches commissions ect.

Procedure for adding entries:

1) Goto http://www.comicartfans.com/Login.asp
2) Select Login then Admin/Edit User Profile
3) Select Manage/Manage Galleries Preferences
4) Select Your Lowry and add pieces (if you have not used the Lowry before)
5) Click the 'View/Add Pieces' link and then click the 'Add New  
Artwork' link.
6) Add a piece as you usually do to the caf but there is an additional field "Best of 2018"
7) Please include the artists names (both penciler and inker if it  applies)
8) There are 6 categories to chose from:

Published Covers (Unpublished covers as well)
Published Strip Art

9) Select Active

Voting starts Monday January 14th (Monday)
Voting end January 20th (Sunday)

In everyone's CAF there is a yellow section in the lower left there is a "Art by Year" section. It breaks down when pieces are posted by year.

I will post instruction on where and how to go about voting for the Best of before voting day.

Edited by Brian Peck