• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Slab or not to Slab?
3 3

777 posts in this topic

Ok i guess just depends on the person I just was annoyed by her , I am not into tom boyish type of girls, never was so I guess that has to do with it. Everyone has certain people or people they cant stand thats a deal breaker in watching a show or movie.

3 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

Ok if the slabs for those 2 issues are that much I must of got a reasonable price, only time will tell once I get the books 

Now what about this one? -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Amazing-Spider-Man-361-CGC-9-8-Apr-1992-Marvel-1st-appearance-of-carnage/183621241035?epid=85419834&hash=item2ac0adc8cb:g:b9EAAOSwlkpcMAHk

Edited by mattn792
wrong link

Since nobody wants to come forward and answer the Swami, I would NOT have paid that much, over 200.00, for raws. Especially without seeing them in hand. I would have bought slabbed 9.6's for that kind of money. I hope the Boards don't turn into a financial advisory site.  

Well the going rate for a good condition on Ebay is around 78 to 80 dollars so this looks like a decent condition hoping its 9.8 but highly doubt that maybe 9.2 or 9.4 if lucky but all the books look like in great shape. If nothing else ill just bag and board and keep in my collection

1 minute ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

Well the going rate for a good condition on Ebay is around 78 to 80 dollars so this looks like a decent condition hoping its 9.8 but highly doubt that maybe 9.2 or 9.4 if lucky but all the books look like in great shape. If nothing else ill just bag and board and keep in my collection

So then what is your personal criteria for a "good deal"?  If you just wanted readers, then I'd say you made a very stupid buy.

I wasnt keeping it for readers just needed a good quaility buy. My criteria for a good deal is something that has value in the long run and be able to make a profit out of it even if its not slabbed down the road.  The value of comic goes up even if condition of comic degrades over time.

Edited by BITCOINSWAMI

7 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

If you had to skim those books quick what would you grade those at first glance rough estimate plus or minus on a  CGC grading scale 

Wrong forum, post pics in the "Please grade my..." section once you receive the books.  You'll get more opinions, and hopefully learn a few things about grading in the process.

11 minutes ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

I wasnt keeping it for readers just needed a good quaility buy. My criteria for a good deal is something that has value in the long run and be able to make a profit out of it even if its not slabbed down the road.  The value of comic goes up even if condition of comic degrades over time.

If this is your intention, to hold for value in the long run, I would buy slabbed books. Another comment, I think it is irresponsible to put a value on a raw book by taking an estimated slabbed price and subtracting out the CGC costs. This method is prone to overpaying, too many variables.  Buy high grade raw books at 9.2 Overstreet guide, maybe doubling it if you think it's a slam dunk minimum 9.4 . The most I would have paid for the 361 is 150.00 . With the addition of the other two books, it was not a terrible deal, but not a 'good' deal either. I think you paid full retail FMV. 

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:27 PM, BITCOINSWAMI said:

How do know those are not just dust specs lol or the damn crappy plastic he put it in. Anyway I think I made a huge mistake buying this as other people have posted saying  I need to  learn a lot from this purchase (the do's and dont's). 

The item hasn't arrived yet but I will post pictures of it once I get it.

I should of known better from that backboarding itself but people put 39 bids on this and went up to 73 74 dollars. Anyway Ill just keep this and lesson learned but still in high hopes its just the garbage backboard and plastic.

Pressed by a TV repair man ? You honestly think this was pressed ?

Then Ill return this damn book to him and get my money back he posted a false ad saying its mint if its not 9.0 or above its a lie and I can get a refund

Well, we all had to start somewhere. I wish you the best of luck with your purchase, and Happy New Year!  :wishluck:

25 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think it is irresponsible to put a value on a raw book by taking an estimated slabbed price and subtracting out the CGC costs.

I don't see why this method can't be used to determine the top end of the price point for a raw book.  It's basically saying "if a slabbed book costs $XX, then I'm not paying anymore than $XX for a raw book because I might as well buy slabbed for the same price."  You then look at other factors such as grade/condition and whatever else might demand a premium and factor that into your max raw price to determine what range you're willing to spend.  But at the very least you've established a ceiling on the book.  Do I want to pay the ceiling price?  Absolutely not, so i'll look for something lower and within the range I've determined.

Edited by ExNihilo