• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unverified Signatures and the Value of the Book They're On

2 posts in this topic

So, I saw this...

22 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

4. does the signature actually add any value to the book?

Was there a pre-CGC time where signatures (with or without a CoA) really did add value to a book?

I remember buying some TM signed Spider-Man issues back in the day (I think from The Spider's Web (Todd's store?) via American Entertainment)... at the time I thought that would surely make those worth more!  But it seems like the only time they were worth more was when I bought them...

Did CGC and the GLOD destroy the majority of the unverified signature market, or was there ever really one in the first place?  Most of the books I've gotten signed are unverified, and I just was happy to know that I met the creator and got the sig... if I ever sold them the buyer wouldn't have that at all...

I was going through my DD books the other day and noticed a copy of #248 that had a notecard inside... whoever previously owned the book had written down all the creators and it appears was attempting to have everyone sign the book.  He got three of them (complete with time/date/place on the notecard), but I'm pretty certain that doesn't help the value at all.  I do kind of want to try to finish this project now though...

Of course there's something to be said for creators who passed prior to CGC...

Anyway, I'm rambling...

or drinking...

or both...

this is a discussion point that occurs often on these boards.

I am not really into signatures on my comics and I own no signed comics. I do have a Stan Lee signature on a piece of art I did, and a Stan Lee signature on my Marvel value Stamp booklet.

I agree that it had value when I got the signature because I paid to have the signatures. After that I am not sure.