Heritage Feb 2019 Auction
4 4

203 posts in this topic

9,065 posts
13 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
On 1/14/2019 at 7:19 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Still, HA clearly has the advantage over the other 2 for this round.

 

Depends on your niche. For the handful (hopefully more) collectors of centaurs, the cc auction is about as good as it gets. Some books there have never been auctioned before (even when berk sold) :)

Well, based upon the usual museum quality and way beyond my price range books which now seems to show up in almost every single Heritage auction, I can tell you for sure that much more of my time will be spent bidding on the HTF and almost never seen Centaur books in this upcoming CC auction.   :luhv:  (thumbsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,979 posts

They just listed a ton of very high grade GA Superman's :whatthe:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,939 posts
12 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

They just listed a ton of very high grade GA Superman's :whatthe:

Yes saw that. Several 9.6/9.8s :whatthe:

Edited by Gotham Kid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,169 posts
5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Yes saw that. Several 9.6/9.8s :whatthe:

Does anyone else remember the days when Golden Age 9.8's were considered rare?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20,476 posts
13 minutes ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Does anyone else remember the days when Golden Age 9.8's were considered rare?

Yesterday's 9.6's are today's 9.8s! Literally... :shy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,169 posts
4 minutes ago, drbanner said:

Yesterday's 9.6's are today's 9.8s! Literally... :shy:

Yes, I completely agree. Am I the only one who finds this more disturbing than exciting? :S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29,388 posts
8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

They just listed a ton of very high grade GA Superman's :whatthe:

:takeit:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,427 posts
4 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:

Does anyone else remember the days when Golden Age 9.8's were considered rare?

If you look through the 1939 Newstand thread you can see why, the vast majority are displayed in a manner which would not let them meet even a 9.4 grade fresh off the stand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,961 posts

954889471_lf(3).thumb.jpeg.5944b95b557c950224068a92336ba98f.jpeg

lf (4).jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,961 posts

I need to buy this on for my 9.8 All-Star Superman set. 

2115962637_lf(7).thumb.jpeg.4852339c18034cc2a4241f0559dc3e55.jpeg

 

507328143_lf(8).thumb.jpeg.484b771450971428965a39f82921ba77.jpeg

1178987662_lf(5).thumb.jpeg.553b8a4feea315ccc5cb3fa6f02df248.jpeg

940325940_lf(6).thumb.jpeg.45776406ce2f0e58711e8b09a1ea9b46.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,961 posts

:whatthe:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,961 posts
31 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

If you look through the 1939 Newstand thread you can see why, the vast majority are displayed in a manner which would not let them meet even a 9.4 grade fresh off the stand.

FWIW, these are probably the best copies of these books that didn't come out of Edgar church's basement. I've been poking around the Superman census recently and there are only three 9.8s total from the 1940s. All three are in this auction. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,939 posts
27 minutes ago, clarkkentdds said:

That is just painful to look at right now...

you have a lot of buying ahead of you :baiting:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,044 posts
Just now, MrBedrock said:

That is sort of misleading. 80% or so have some degree of foxing. Less than 40% have other moisture damage, and many of those are minor. At least one in five of the Larson copies that I have seen or owned have essentially no downgradable moisture damage.

Out of the 1000 or so Larson Copies, only a few have graded higher than 9.2. While I agree many are lower grade due to handling defects, most IMO are not in the 9.4+  range due to the conditions they were exposed to, regardless of other additional handling defects they incurred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31,863 posts
2 minutes ago, Timely said:

Out of the 1000 or so Larson Copies, only a few have graded higher than 9.2. While I agree many are lower grade due to handling defects, most IMO are not in the 9.4+  range due to the conditions they were exposed to, regardless of other additional handling defects they incurred.

You have handled more Larsons than probably anyone. You have to admit that saying 99% of them have moisture damage, even as just your opinion, is misleading.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,044 posts
13 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

You have handled more Larsons than probably anyone. You have to admit that saying 99% of them have moisture damage, even as just your opinion, is misleading.

To varying degrees, 99% of them do, whether on the cover, back cover or page edges. But, I will say some only have a few spots of foxing while some are quite excessive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31,863 posts
21 minutes ago, Timely said:

To varying degrees, 99% of them do, whether on the cover, back cover or page edges. But, I will say some only have a few spots of foxing while some are quite excessive.

To varying degrees every comic ever published has been exposed to some moisture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
4 4