• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reconnecting through comics

3 posts in this topic

Nice story. 

When we were kids, me and my brother were into comics in a big way, and we did it together. He was Hulk, I was Spidey.  Then we got older, and off he went. His lunatic partner threw all his comics out. She was like that. All his Hulks. So when he returned to the fold, many, many years later, I secretly built up a near full set of Hulks and presented them to him on his birthday. He was moved to tears.  The plan for me was to get back into comics and going to fairs like we used to. 

It didn't work.

It was clear he was no longer into them and I ended up selling them all for him a few years back. So we didn't get to reconnect alas and I still therefore do all the comic stuff alone. I liked the old days when we were kids, and that shared feeling of excitement when we lucked out on finds. They were happy times.

I've just realised that story wasn't feel good! Sorry. Here's a feel good one.

I sold all my comics at 17, including an AF15, for reasons unsound. Some years pass, and I'm in London. I find Gosh Comics, then in its old location, and go in. They have a near full run of ASM in from number 50 up, priced at 70p to £1.20 each. The desire to buy smashes me in the face, and I buy about 30 issues, around the #70 up mark. Probably fine to VFN looking back. I remember leaving #50 because it was about £3 which was outrageous! 

I reconnected with comics that day, and never really looked back.

I've always thought, if you love comics, you do so for life. You can have breaks, sometimes for years, but you always return. 

There, that one had a happy ending :)