• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The most affordable key comic book?
5 5

521 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2020 at 8:44 AM, HuddyBee said:

Adventure Comics #260, the First Appearance of the Silver Age Aquaman. For a huge character like Aquaman, in a book that should be on par w/ Showcase 22 or at least Showcase 30 (the book that is often mistaken as said key), its price is ridiculous. You can pick up a low grade copy for around $50-70, and a mid grade for about $100-150. 

Adventure Comics are overlooked in general (pun intended).  General Zod is in the same first appearance book as the first appearance of the Phantom Zone in Adventure Comics #283 and it's older than Fantastic Four #1.  Mid-grade CGC slabbed copies of Adventure #283 are $200 to $300.

2 hours ago, Silentbob said:

This is  a great discussion. I recently rediscovered my collection and was amazed at what some comics are selling for. Obviously key issues demand a premium but what I was amazed at were the comics I purchased purely as "Gag" issues like Spider Ham: Peter Porker #1 and Beavis and Butthead #1 now sell for a premium.

Beavis & Butthead #1 sells for less than CGC slabbing costs in 9.6, and only has two sales (out of 120) above $100 in 9.8.  It's nostalgia, but not expensive nostalgia.

On 1/30/2019 at 8:44 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Really? You consider them to be Non comic book properties even though each of the aforementioned has 300+ issues published?

gotta disagree with you on that point.

and what the heck is Rick &Morty?  Bad choice for a comparison

You haven’t seen R&M yet?  :whatthe:   Do yourself a solid and reserve a couple of hours soon to watch the first five episodes.  It’s a crazy, sci-if-on-steroids spin on Back to the Future.   Relatively new (around few years) and has a growing cult following.   

Edited by Pantodude

27 minutes ago, Pantodude said:
On 1/30/2019 at 7:44 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

and what the heck is Rick &Morty?  Bad choice for a comparison

You haven’t seen R&M yet?  :whatthe:   Do yourself a solid and reserve a couple of hours soon to watch the first five episodes.  It’s a crazy, sci-if-on-steroids spin on Back to the Future.   Relatively new (around few years) and has a growing cult following.   

I disagree with @Pantodude for two reasons:

1) Rick & Morty isn't easy to watch for five episodes.

2) Rick & Morty isn't easy to stop watching after five episodes.

Edited by valiantman

40 minutes ago, valiantman said:

OMG. Very well put.  That was so true for me!   My college-age son introduced me to it, and there was the initial culture shock for me, having grown up with BTTF.   But then we couldn’t help but binge-watch it (with the necessary breaks to allow our gut to heal after all the laughter)!   I still can’t help smiling thinking about that pickle Rick episode.  Genius!  

5 hours ago, Pantodude said:
6 hours ago, valiantman said:

OMG. Very well put.  That was so true for me!   My college-age son introduced me to it, and there was the initial culture shock for me, having grown up with BTTF.   But then we couldn’t help but binge-watch it (with the necessary breaks to allow our gut to heal after all the laughter)!   I still can’t help smiling thinking about that pickle Rick episode.  Genius!  

I got the Back To The Future (and Doctor Who) parody easily, but I couldn't figure out why Rick burped all the time. I've either gotten used to it or they've cut down on it lately.

On 1/28/2019 at 9:27 PM, Aweandlorder said:

First of all... scooby 1 is not "undervalued". Nor are Star Trek 1 or Star Wars 1. They're valued proportionally as NON comic book properties. They are movie franchises. 

Just like Rick & Morty is not undervalued and many many other NON comic related franchises. 

TMNT "IS" a comic book property. 

Just like Spider man is. 

Where would you see Transformers fitting in all this? Their comic appeared before anything else related to the franchise.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Where would you see Transformers fitting in all this? Their comic appeared before anything else related to the franchise.

Yes but appearance is not relevant here. Star Wars 1 appeared before the movie came out as well but that still doesn’t make it a comic book property. Again, not to discredit their importance with collectors in general, but these book just do not have significant key status because they are not exclusive comic book creations

On 8/3/2019 at 12:51 AM, kav said:

Fantastic Four 19 - just wait till rama tut/kang appears in a movie.  Then you'll see.  also FF annual #6-just wait til franklin richards or annihilus appear in a movie.

I was always curious about this. Do retcons also work with keys? Because Kang's first appearance is Avengers 8. Later they wrote that he used to be Rama Tut. But Rama Tut wasn't Kang originally, it's nowhere in the story, he's just another random villain.  CGC themselves, do not mention Kang on their slab notes either. 

3 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Not to me, both those characters have their own key comic, this is just another comic featuring them.

That's like saying The Incredible Hulk #181 isn't a key issue, as it's just another comic featuring Wolverine ~

My suggestion would be X-men #35. Spidey appearance along with the X-men. It is the original X-men so I'm not sure how much play they will get with the Disney version of the team, however, Spidey and the X-men, seems like a good bet. In terms of affordability, I guess it depends on your budget. (shrug)