Should I press Captain Marvel Adventures #26?
0

14 posts in this topic

501 posts

Or even slab it? I'm curious, given the old nature of the comic?

There is a small amount of rust on the staple I hasten to add ~

All comments are welcomed!

Captain Marvel Adventures 26 (Fawcett 1943) FN/VF | SHAZAM | 1ST MISTER MIND

Captain Marvel Adventures #26 (Fawcett 1943) FN/VF - 1ST APPEARANCE OF MISTER MIND.  MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL CHAPTER FIVE.  AD PAGE FEATURING CARTOON DEPICTION OF HITLER.

Grade notes: Small amount of rust on outer staple

 

Spoiler

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.6c789a040f783f26e1e2d2c93cfb2a87.jpg

 

 

Spoiler

140305621_s-l1600(3).thumb.jpg.ad27032ffcc385aa2169d8f386614d98.jpg

 

 

Spoiler

1564406812_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.f67f1620081def5aa91b06170a468d11.jpg

 

 

Spoiler

1646696301_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.5841a2ea67fc6289ba59deafeee5a8be.jpg

 

 

Edited by Bart Allen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22,661 posts

It would help with the spine roll and folded over paper on the top edge. The overall difference will not be dramatic, but it will help with the overall appearance and bump it up half a grade at a minimum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,084 posts

There might be more, but I can only think of maybe three reasons to get comic books professionally graded and encapsulated. 

1) For protection of the comic book

2) For resale. Slabbed books generally sell easier and oftentimes for more $$. 

3) Aesthetics. One likes the way the books look encapsulated. 

It's difficult  to answer the question "would you recommend slabbing it?" without knowing if any of the three things above apply to or interest you.  This is not a particularly expensive book (though expensive is relative to one's income bracket) In the $150 range. It's not likely to be worth substantially more slabbed, but it would sell easier because of the restoration check done by CGC. The flag cover is kinda cool though. 

If it were mine, I might think in terms of getting it encapsulated some day because the cover is cool and I like the way books look slabbed. But it wouldn't be a priority. 

Edited by Tony S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,757 posts
27 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Personally, I like it just the way it is...

Completely agree.  I would rather have it in its current state, unslabbed, than pressed and encapsulated.  IMHO, you should only consider slabbing a book if you are going to sell it and you feel certain that there will be a substantial delta in price between what it sells for raw vs. certified.  You would be amazed at how many books don't meet that criteria.

And I actually think that more books get damaged through shipping and changing hands in process of and while slabbed than those sold raw in person.  The slab itself is not archival which CGC has been fairly clear about.

By the way, cool book!

Edited by Randall Dowling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,688 posts
On 1/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Completely agree.  I would rather have it in its current state, unslabbed, than pressed and encapsulated.  IMHO, you should only consider slabbing a book if you are going to sell it and you feel certain that there will be a substantial delta in price between what it sells for raw vs. certified.  You would be amazed at how many books don't meet that criteria.

And I actually think that more books get damaged through shipping and changing hands in process of and while slabbed than those sold raw in person.  The slab itself is not archival which CGC has been fairly clear about.

By the way, cool book!

what about this statement on CGC website?

image.thumb.png.452eeefd13f548e752b8d849d50d38a2.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,757 posts
1 minute ago, Krishosein said:

what about this statement on CGC website?

image.thumb.png.452eeefd13f548e752b8d849d50d38a2.png

That's a pretty shaky claim...

They used to recommend resending books in to change out encapsulation because they aren't using mylar or something as inert as mylar.  I think somebody in their marketing department got a little overzealous in their wording.  (tsk)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,688 posts
27 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

That's a pretty shaky claim...

They used to recommend resending books in to change out encapsulation because they aren't using mylar or something as inert as mylar.  I think somebody in their marketing department got a little overzealous in their wording.  (tsk)

its is mentioned a few more times about their materials being archival 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
501 posts
15 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

To slab or not to slab ... Slab it up !

Yeah, I might, especially as after I created this thread that issue had gone up in price to a reasonable amount ~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
127 posts

If you still have this comic and didn't slab it yet, be sure to. It's gonna get super hot on the market since there are only 18 comics out there with that universal label and it's the first appearance of the next big bad in the Shazam films.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
0