• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

National Comics collecting thread
1 1

89 posts in this topic

Here are my 6-10.  Kind of went crazy for 8 and 9.  I also have a raw of each.  #8 and 9 I think are toughies and #8 was the last one I needed to finish the run.  Now I have four copies - always seems to work that way.  Go for what seems like forever and one you find a copy, others start popping up.  Happened the same way for me when I finished my Nedor runs.

Spoiler

1811121825261.jpg

1811121826061.jpg

2008181346231.jpg

2505150904341.jpg

2203182034191.jpg

1704161320401.jpg

1102171118331.jpg

1811121827051.jpg

3 hours ago, telerites said:

16-20 - 

I feel 16 should be a classic cover as others have posted that book.  

16 is a classic cover. We don't need CGC to tell us what we already know.

It's an overused term these days, I believe, especially in the PCH genre. I think "notable" or "noteworthy" is now confused with "classic," but it's pretty much subjective anyway. 

I'm old-skool about my classic covers, and many once considered iron-clad classics have fallen out of favor. Nobody gets that excited about Everett's Target 1 cover, and even Wolverton's Target 7 has slipped. I'm all about the Fantastic 3 and the Superman 14. Throw in a More Fun 54 and I'm a happy man.  :cloud9:

2 hours ago, PopKulture said:

It's an overused term these days, I believe, especially in the PCH genre. I think "notable" or "noteworthy" is now confused with "classic," but it's pretty much subjective anyway. 

I'm old-skool about my classic covers, and many once considered iron-clad classics have fallen out of favor. Nobody gets that excited about Everett's Target 1 cover, and even Wolverton's Target 7 has slipped. I'm all about the Fantastic 3 and the Superman 14. Throw in a More Fun 54 and I'm a happy man.  :cloud9:

If you really were old-skool, you’d actually be old-school.  :wink:

6 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Good points.  There is obviously personal preference involved as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, or rather a classic cover is in the eye...

Although to be some point it is overused, just look at some Ebay sellers and every listing is labeled as rare, HTF, classic cover, etc lol

6 hours ago, telerites said:

Here are 21-25 which again, I think have some great covers.  21 is a special favorite of mine.  I doubled up with two copies of each 24 and 25 - 24 has a Statue of Liberty cover.

1811121834151.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

1502131920381.jpg

1811121835111.jpg

1502131921471.jpg

0108151106561.jpg

2203182042471.jpg

1003140937181.jpg

If 21 isn't a classic cover, then I don't know what is.  

2 hours ago, EBE said:

Here's National 33. I've got a #25, too but no photo. I'd like to have most of the Nationals from 24 -41, but I've noticed that this title is getting scarce these days!

00136131645000110322169003.jpg

I've ultimately decided to try to get 18-41 complete.  If I didn't already have nice copies of 18 & 20, I would have started with 21.  

You're absolutely right about these being hard to find.  I think Quality books get seen as common since some lesser collected titles are more often for sale, but I've had a fairly difficult time finding nice copies of this stretch.  

33 is a really wonderful WWII cover.  Just dripping with propaganda.  

On 1/24/2019 at 4:59 PM, MrBedrock said:

In the mid 1990's Jon Berk laid his eyes on the Lou Fine original art to Planet #1 and decided he had to have it. He decided to part with a few comics to defray the cost and it was my good fortune to be in the right place at the right time as Jon offered me the Church run of Nationals from 1-23. It was an incredible set. I enjoyed it for a year or so. Unfortunately I got browbeat by Joe Smejkal into selling the set to him. He had many Mile Highs and loved the set so he made me a pretty generous offer. At the time I made a few dollars but looking back it is unfortunate that that killer run got split up when Joe consigned them to Heritage. I have been lucky enough to repurchase a few over the years since...

national3.jpg

nation3bc.jpg

So, you're susceptible to being browbeaten into selling comics? hm

On 1/24/2019 at 3:59 PM, MrBedrock said:

In the mid 1990's Jon Berk laid his eyes on the Lou Fine original art to Planet #1 and decided he had to have it. He decided to part with a few comics to defray the cost and it was my good fortune to be in the right place at the right time as Jon offered me the Church run of Nationals from 1-23. It was an incredible set. I enjoyed it for a year or so. Unfortunately I got browbeat by Joe Smejkal into selling the set to him. He had many Mile Highs and loved the set so he made me a pretty generous offer. At the time I made a few dollars but looking back it is unfortunate that that killer run got split up when Joe consigned them to Heritage. I have been lucky enough to repurchase a few over the years since...

I wanted to get a MH National and remember them being auctioned.  Haven't they or at least some come up periodically since then?  Isn't there Larson #1 in like 6.5?  I have a few peds in my runs and at one when I was more eager, I wanted to add other peds but finally my wallet spoke some sense into me and I was able to pay for daughter's college.