• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Impossible Collection

10 posts in this topic

Reading about the Hariri "Impossible collection", considered by the author of the Bleeding Cool article to be the "finest comic collection on earth". it's an incredible collection, no doubt, but curious as to if it's truly considered the best among hobbyists. And if so, how can any collection that doesn't include the Mile High Actions 1-20 and the Allentown Det 27 be considered "impossible", and "the best"?

Would it also be considered a better collection than the fellow I read about that owns complete DC, 1935 to present? IMO, that would be best described as "an impossible" collection, with money not being the only factor of acquisition, but the hunt for all those books as well. How would yo even begin to piece that together if you started on assembling complete DC today? Unless you bought that collector's entire collection?

With the number of billionaires now walking around even the best comic book collection is pretty insignificant.  Sure some things are not for sale at any price, but most are.  1.4 million dollar collection stolen?  Pfffft that will get you a 30 year old average family track home in many California cities, just don't trip on the bums or slip in the @@@@ on your way to the mail box.

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Reading about the Hariri "Impossible collection", considered by the author of the Bleeding Cool article to be the "finest comic collection on earth". it's an incredible collection, no doubt, but curious as to if it's truly considered the best among hobbyists. And if so, how can any collection that doesn't include the Mile High Actions 1-20 and the Allentown Det 27 be considered "impossible", and "the best"?

Would it also be considered a better collection than the fellow I read about that owns complete DC, 1935 to present? IMO, that would be best described as "an impossible" collection, with money not being the only factor of acquisition, but the hunt for all those books as well. How would yo even begin to piece that together if you started on assembling complete DC today? Unless you bought that collector's entire collection?

Ian Levine does have every book 1935 up but they are Restored and a lot of lower grade keys. I last talked to him on the phone 6 or 7 years ago sold him my Tec 3 and 4 and he wanted my Tec 1 for trade since his copy was missing centerfold. He sent me pics of his book's and they look great. I don't think Hariri has the best.

Edited by woowoo

19 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Ian Levine does have every book 1935 up but they are Restored and a lot of lower grade keys. I last talked to him on the phone 6 or 7 years ago sold him my Tec 3 and 4 and he wanted my Tec 1 for trade since his copy was missing centerfold. He sent me pics of his book's and they look great. I don't think Hariri has the best.

Approx. how many books in total does complete DC compromise?

33 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Fair point.  Given comparative budgetary restrictions, and the scope and ambition of this achievement, it's far more impressive, regardless of grade.

Perhaps the best collection is NOT known to hobbyists - yet.

This discussion pops up once in a while and the consensus usually points to two collections: Dave Anderson usually gets the nod (best examples of the best books on the planet) but the late John Verzyl's collection is right there. I don't know that Anderson has Timely that well represented, however, and vice versa for the Verzyl collection with DC.

Trust me, though, there are old-timers who might have collections to trump all of them. Time will tell.  (shrug)