• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Canvassing" in Grader Notes; Not in Glossary
2 2

75 posts in this topic

Thank you all for the replies & info :smile:!! I been using Heat Press at 170 degrees for 30 to 60 min depending on condition of book but never over 60 min also using Teflon Sheets to protect book from direct contact with the heat press. After 30 to 60 min I power off Heat Press machine & book remains in Heat Press machine overnight. Also using 150lb Acid Free Paper behind Front Cover/Back Cover and using a standard backing board in center of book. So grader notes for some of the books say "Light Canvassing" but other books do not. From what I was able to gather "Canvassing" seems to have something to do with Pressing books. I will review my CGC graded books once they arrive this upcoming week & post photos to update the awesome community! 

Your problem might be "170 degrees for 30 to 60 min". That's probably too hot and definitely too long. 

From what I can tell, reputable pressers' temperatures for various eras and types of bindings range from 145 to 165, never hotter. And length of time under heat before switching off ranges from 10-to-20 minutes. 

On 5/21/2023 at 12:18 AM, LOBO101 said:

Thank you all for the replies & info :smile:!! I been using Heat Press at 170 degrees for 30 to 60 min depending on condition of book but never over 60 min also using Teflon Sheets to protect book from direct contact with the heat press. After 30 to 60 min I power off Heat Press machine & book remains in Heat Press machine overnight. Also using 150lb Acid Free Paper behind Front Cover/Back Cover and using a standard backing board in center of book. So grader notes for some of the books say "Light Canvassing" but other books do not. From what I was able to gather "Canvassing" seems to have something to do with Pressing books. I will review my CGC graded books once they arrive this upcoming week & post photos to update the awesome community! 

You're cooking books. Too much heat, and WAY too long. Everything I have come across max heat is 165 for 15 min, more often the 145 range for 15. Try less heat and maybe too much pressure? 

So I recently bought a 7.0 universal. Silly me just liked the wrap being spot on and couldn’t imagine anything to be concerned about. So the book arrived and THEN I decided to take a look at the notes. They read (see photo). I immediately performed CPR, the book was poorly pressed. I’ve added a detailed photo of the canvassing I’m sure CGC is pointing out. To me it looks like the presser used a mesh sheeting i between the book and the press and left the book on it a while as it was a texture you can see and feel. I guess when you buy a used press, if that person you bought it from was pressing iron on graphics to t-shirts, they may have gave this presser that sheeting. My guess. Anyhow, I’m by far not the best presser, but I’ve pressed over 1000 books over the past 5-7 years now. I know my limitations but have this book a shot. Let’s try to fix the other guys boo boo. Got a

grade bump from 7.0 to 8.5 🥳 PQ bump 😎 staining? 😕Finger prints? 😕

IMG_5436.jpeg

IMG_5367.jpeg

IMG_5368.jpeg

IMG_5437.jpeg

Canvassing is when a comic is pressed using tephlon sheets and not silicon release paper.  The tephlon sheets have a weave that gets impressed on some (not all) books.  I use to use tephlon and had this happen a couple of times.  It is reversable with additional pressing using SRP.

On 8/8/2023 at 1:47 PM, redgar-red said:

Canvassing is when a comic is pressed using tephlon sheets and not silicon release paper.  The tephlon sheets have a weave that gets impressed on some (not all) books.  I use to use tephlon and had this happen a couple of times.  It is reversable with additional pressing using SRP.

I’m sure there are degrees as to how much canvassing is present. I’m sure there is potential $$$ pressing it out. I’m sure CGC hits it hard

On 8/8/2023 at 1:16 PM, Junkdrawer said:

I’m sure there are degrees as to how much canvassing is present. I’m sure there is potential $$$ pressing it out. I’m sure CGC hits it hard

Yep.  There are a number of factors -- pressure, temperature, age of book.  It shows up better on black or (unfortunately) white.  The question becomes -- "If I re-pressed that book and got the canvassing out, what is the best grade I could hope for?"  The book sure looks nice, I don't see the front cover crease.  Depending on what you already had in the book, you could consider cracking and re-pressing.  Ask the presser if they use SRP or tephlon.  Bummer :/... the grade not the book!

Ahh man I wish I stumbled on this thread earlier. I've been pressing my own books for over a year now and have been getting better and better results but my latest submission had 3 books with canvassing in the grader notes. After reading this it seems like everything I've added that has made the pressing more effective has also increased the chances of this defect. The 3 books still pulled 9.2s which makes them better then break even but I'm assuming they were probably atleast 9.6s without the canvassing which kinda sucks. I've ordered srp sheets to avoid this in the future.

It seems common sense to me that you can't use a textured sheet (teflon cloth) against the surface of a book being pressed -- of course the woven texture of the cloth is going to be pressed into the paper. 

I'm curious where people are learning to press. ???

Haha youtube of course where people learn how to do everything. Actually I'd always used card stock between the cover and teflon sheet but with some particularly bad creasing I'd upped the amount of steam and didn't use the card stock paper. It worked wonders on the creases but obviously increased the chances of this.

On 1/18/2024 at 11:29 AM, seanlinc said:

Haha youtube of course where people learn how to do everything. Actually I'd always used card stock between the cover and teflon sheet but with some particularly bad creasing I'd upped the amount of steam and didn't use the card stock paper. It worked wonders on the creases but obviously increased the chances of this.

In my experience, the majority of YouTube video are examples of what not to do. Way too many yahoos crushing and toasting books and taking shortcuts. They show the finished products and they are wavy as hell. :facepalm:  You need to be able to discern the wheat from the chaff. 

On 1/18/2024 at 11:52 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

In my experience, the majority of YouTube video are examples of what not to do. Way too many yahoos crushing and toasting books and taking shortcuts. They show the finished products and they are wavy as hell. :facepalm:  You need to be able to discern the wheat from the chaff. 

Yeah i think i probably watched 8 or 9 different people and the techniques they used then kind of sorted through some of them with trial and error til i got a process i was comfortable with. You're right some of them seemed sketchy. Just felt like I could get the same results as ccs without the extra cost. My results with submissions have been positive, even this one with 3 books with canvassing was still a great submission. Now that I'm aware of this issue I'll adjust accordingly.