• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key issue comics under $100 That you can get now?
2 2

60 posts in this topic

If you're talking raw copies, priced like raw copies, I'd add:

Next Men #21 - 1st full color appearance of Hellboy

Death Rattle #8 - 1st appearance of Xenozoic Tales

Starslayer #2 - 1st appearance of The Rocketeer

BLIP #1 - 1st appearance of Mario and Donkey Kong

Marvel Spotlight #32 - 1st appearance of Spider-Woman

Marvel Premiere #47 - 1st appearance of Scott Lang as Ant-Man

DC Comics Presents #47 - 1st appearance of He-Man and Skeletor

Adventures of Superman #500 - 1st appearance of Steel and Super-Boy (large print run, but 2 great characters' 1st appearance)

There are many Valiant books that could take off if their movies are good.

Edited by AGGIEZ

2 hours ago, s-dali said:

I got this from the Make Comic Book Collecting Fun Again Facebook group. I'm pretty certain that all of these fall under the $100 mark.

mcbfa.jpg

I think Bedlam's first appearance is Factor X #1...not X-Factor #1...that's a cool list though.

Edited by AGGIEZ

40 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

Adventures of Superman #500 - 1st appearance of Steel and Super-Boy (large print run, but 2 great characters' 1st appearance)

Adventures of Superman #500 Platinum is a good solution to this problem... it's still cheap (especially raw) and overcomes the "millions of copies printed" problem.

I think my definition of a 'key' book (AF15, Hulk 1, Showcase 4) varies widely from yours, given the imposed threshold of $125.  I can think of no book I'd consider a key for anything less than $5K in NM- 9.2

If you think ROM #1 or the 1st Squirrel Girl are 'keys' , well, I suppose this thread should end.

16 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I can think of no book I'd consider a key for anything less than $5K in NM- 9.2

The first appearances of the Punisher, Venom, Ghost Rider, Harley Quinn, Moon Knight, Thanos and the new X-Men team aren't keys?

So strict! I am impressed, offended and horrified all at once!

Edited by october

15 hours ago, BITCOINSWAMI said:

Can you guys help me compile a list of significant key issues 1st appearances or villains of heroes or just key story arcs or complete set that you can get for around $100 or less? (125 is ok but not more than 130)

If Hollywood ever does something with this. Look out!

3210735-fq.jpg

Can be had for $100 or less depending on condition on Ebay.

Other than Darkseid's first appearance, there are a ton of first appearances in Jack Kirby's 4th World books that are still around $100 pr less.  So issue #1 of Mister Miracle, Forever People, The Demon, and Kamandi are all good investments.   As soon as these characters get announced for movies, the value of these books will soar.

Most Valiant characters' first appearances (that are owned by Valiant) are under $100 in 9.2, and many in higher grades as well. The thing with Valiant is that there are movies on the way; if the first is successful I would think we'll see a decent number more be produced. It's not like Marvel or DC where the obvious candidates for movies are already well-known characters whose first appearances are far more expensive than the range suggested by this thread.

10 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Lol.  I was just about to post this.  In his other post he said the question hadn't been asked in 3 years.  Apparently 1 week = 3 years.

That thread escalated quickly from affordable to TMNT1 and Marvel silver mega-keys.  This thread's for the 99 %.

2 hours ago, Phicks said:

Other than Darkseid's first appearance, there are a ton of first appearances in Jack Kirby's 4th World books that are still around $100 pr less.  So issue #1 of Mister Miracle, Forever People, The Demon, and Kamandi are all good investments.   As soon as these characters get announced for movies, the value of these books will soar.

It has been a real bear for me to find a reasonably priced Demon #1 in decent shape. I suppose I could pull the trigger and pay the going rate (not that it is super expensive but the rest of the books from all the other Kirby 4th world series I got fairly cheap- except #1 Kamandi). -- but I think it comes down to me not valuing the character enough. I have the others-- and opted for decent but not high grade copies. Don't forget OMAC. I have given up on ever getting more of the Jimmy Olsen books - especially 134.

Edited by 01TheDude

12 hours ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

It bothers me that some of you are so nice.

You don't know me, bud. lol

10 hours ago, Cushing Fan said:

I just picked up a key book graded 9.0 by CGC for $100 - Marvel Feature #11 (first solo Thing, Thing vs Hulk issue, & origin of the Fantastic Four). Lots going on for this great issue and I think it will climb value wise in the future.

That's actually a tough book in above 9.0.  I bought a copy off the newsstand, and then bought about 12 copies in attempted upgrade.  I think my current copy is about a 9.2.....,

Super tough.