• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Target Exclusive DC Primal Age 100 Page Giant
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Target Exclusive DC Primal Age 100 Page Giant. 

Has anyone seen these available at their local Target? I checked this morning with no luck. I checked books, toys, and where they keep the trading cards & collectables. I did see an endcap with the toys. Looks like a mash-up of DC characters done in the style of He-Man Masters of the Universe.

DCPrimalAge1.jpg

On 1/28/2019 at 10:35 AM, sonicdan said:

Target Exclusive DC Primal Age 100 Page Giant. 

Has anyone seen these available at their local Target? I checked this morning with no luck. I checked books, toys, and where they keep the trading cards & collectables. I did see an endcap with the toys. Looks like a mash-up of DC characters done in the style of He-Man Masters of the Universe.

So I've heard from one source the toy section and one, third party, the game section.

I went to two stores and neither had them in the toy or card section. Didn't know about the game section possibility at the time. I guess these are just now being put out in most stores though.

2 hours ago, BishopT said:

Yeah, the $10 cover price is kind of keeping me away. Plus they're selling for around $20 at the most at the moment and, frankly, the book looks quite... bad.

This.

I agree $10 is a little steep to spec on. Whenever I have to make a Target run I always check the marvel legends for my son. I saw these there and I remember some talk about it. Most were a little rough but I did find one really clean copy for myself 

923D98D6-FFD9-4652-8AE3-1A2352898D92.jpeg

66DE05F1-D700-400B-B2F3-02EE63C5815B.jpeg

I would try to grab that display box.

With that said, Walmart and Target do provide avenues to get "readable" comics out there to kids.

At over 5,000 Walmarts nationally, selling 10 of these DC books per month per store would be 50,000...so the print-run of a good selling comic. 20 is more realistic...100,000...

There are about 1800 targets, so they'd need to be about 27-30 a store to get to 50,000.  Maybe it is not worth the money, true, but don't you see that as doable if every month or two they come out with something special? True, it may just be old dudes like us buying them. They refuse to have this stuff near the check out where it gets visibility.

7 minutes ago, the blob said:

With that said, Walmart and Target do provide avenues to get "readable" comics out there to kids.

At over 5,000 Walmarts nationally, selling 10 of these DC books per month per store would be 50,000...so the print-run of a good selling comic. 20 is more realistic...100,000...

There are about 1800 targets, so they'd need to be about 27-30 a store to get to 50,000.  Maybe it is not worth the money, true, but don't you see that as doable if every month or two they come out with something special? True, it may just be old dudes like us buying them. They refuse to have this stuff near the check out where it gets visibility.

That display box is pretty nice. Also probably worth mentioning the box is made so it folds out with a slant. I'm pretty sure it is made to only hold 10 books. While I've seen walmart exclusives before, this is my first time seeing a Target exclusive. And if they do only get 10 per store without a restock is the print run only 18,000? That's pretty low.

Side note, I bought the Wolverine 19 walmart exclusive last year. It had a cool Ron Lim cover.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I've never seen or heard of a Walmart having more than 5 on a shelf. Some have said they re-stock. But I'm weary of that myself. Also, they do not stock these at every store. I would guess every superstore has them which is 3,500.

Edited by ygogolak

8 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I've never seen or heard of a Walmart having more than 5 on a shelf. Some have said they re-stock. But I'm wear of that myself. Also, they do not stock these at every store. I would guess every superstore has them which is 3,500.

I am looking at the Target display box and it looks like it is intended for more than 5 books.

As for Walmart, I have no idea. Haven't been there for a long time. How is it cost effective for a store to only get 5 of these? Why would Walmart bother? They presumably don't put them all out at once so they don't all get trashed at once. Look how many of the "controversial" one people snagged to re-sell.

17 minutes ago, the blob said:

I am looking at the Target display box and it looks like it is intended for more than 5 books.

As for Walmart, I have no idea. Haven't been there for a long time. How is it cost effective for a store to only get 5 of these? Why would Walmart bother? They presumably don't put them all out at once so they don't all get trashed at once. Look how many of the "controversial" one people snagged to re-sell.

Yea, the Target one in the picture above shows more than 5 for sure.

The people that I have seen online that have bought multiples of Superman 7 went to multiple stores.
You want to know how Walmart makes money? Just the sheer volume and other things people buy when in the store. I pre-ordered the Venom exclusive movie and had it set to pickup at my local store. When I got there to pick it up they had actually shipped it from somewhere else via UPS to that store. Mind you they had some on the shelves that they could have just pulled and set aside. It boggled my mind that it's profitable to do that.

So I passed up about 7 copies the other day due to price point. $9.99 for the same book that Walmart sells for $4.99.

Sales don't make it worthwhile to get them. 

I saw only 5 copies at every Walmart I went too. Seems to be the right amount.

All that said some of the interior artwork was very good.

Edited by fastballspecial

Went to a Target today.  About 10 of these in the box and all looked 9.4+.  Again though, the last few sales of this are like $18-20 with free shipping?!??  Okay so I buy two at $9.99 + tax, sell for $20 - 12-13% ebay/paypal fees, 1st class shipping + materials and bag/board etc.= I make $.50.  Needless to say I walked out with none.  I think you would need to work at Target with some kind of employee discount in a state with no sales tax to make anything on these. Or have a gift card that you could get them for free, seriously.  The toys looked cool , though. 

44 minutes ago, Lizzardqueen said:

I saw one of the employees open the box and there are 10 per display. They will let you take the display box if it is empty. At least the Target I went to did. 

Thanks for the confirmation that it is 10 per box. Pretty cool display. Congrats.