• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it true - destroying comics to create rarity???

58 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, FlyingDonut said:

I don't understand this. Are they saying that once they get 180 copies of this done, they will destroy the next one that comes in? So if I send the 181st one for grading to them they will shred it?

No. It only applies to the copies owned by TCM, which are all being sent to the grading company at once. But because it's an exclusive variant, only a small number of comp copies should exist outside of what TCM received.

6 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

i have bought zero variants,

I have not purchased any new variants in this age of ratios and exclusives, nor have I ever paid more than cover price for a new issue.

15 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

and had no clue what virgin meant. In this hobby i had my share of theories though....

hmlol

On 1/29/2019 at 8:39 AM, jcjames said:

The concept of doing an Exclusive print run and then on purpose damaging 75% of the run. Including the Grading company agreeing to this practice is unethical and needs to stop. Regardless of both parties agreeing to destroy a part of the run. The “Off the press” print runs still remains at 1500 copies (or 1000) and the publisher will keep that count in their total run of that issue.

You can’t just change the numbers at will. This includes the fact that you are destroying additional 9.8 by limiting it to 180 copies only. This practice needs to end. The Publishers needs to be aware of this. Any parent company should be notifed as well. The creative team (all parties) should also be aware of the price gauging. This doesn’t fall under “Supply and Demand” if your're self-destroying your own product to raise the price of the book.....

It's a good thing I clicked the link, so you don't get blamed for writing this ludicrous garbage.

It doesn't matter how many copies were printed, unless there's reason to believe they all still exist.

Why would anybody care about the publisher's numbers? It's not like they're going to share them with us.

Publishers cared when Newsstand copies got destroyed (or reported as such) because they didn't get paid for them. They got paid for these copies and no longer care about them.

EDIT: I left out the most obvious part, being that the publishers fully support this kind of :censored: by making the variants in the first place!

Edited by Lazyboy

2 minutes ago, mrwoogieman said:
14 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I have not purchased any new variants in this age of ratios and exclusives, nor have I ever paid more than cover price for a new issue.

hmlol

Cause you're lazy? :baiting:

O.o

Because they're stupid, and I'm not. :sumo:

In a time where people today almost demand results and skyrocket returns and to put it more simply “ain’t got no time for that”, paving that way is the “manufactured collectible”. The one of one is my favorite. Check eBay sports cards sold listings at these and the /5 and /10 cards eclipsing $5k for Luka Doncic who hasn’t completed a year yet in the NBA. Having something so brandy new and so limited in the original release lured out the suckers if you ask me. I’ve always said that collectibles in general is just a big measuring contest. I have a ______, my _____ is still sealed. I have a whole case of _____, and so on. Who cares. Did you buy it to impress your friends? 

One of the things that I learned of while rebuilding my GI Joes... and as I have started to sell them off again... don't ask. 

There is one guy out there that has almost a thousand or more complete Snow Serpents.  This guy is doing what we call 'army building' but on a level previously unseen.  He readily admits to trying to sway the market by buying up every Snow Serpent he can and then unleashing it to see what happens to the market when he feels he has amassed enough.

This is his hobby... 

Now, forget about whether or not he is going to take a bath in them or not or get his money back or whatever... regardless of that... there are collectors out there that do this stuff. 

On 1/30/2019 at 12:02 PM, Lazyboy said:

O.o

Because they're stupid, and I'm not. :sumo:

I’ll typically drop a book that goes heavy on the variants. In fact, that can make me drop an entire publisher. I don’t really have a problem with the variants themselves, I’ve just found that books who rely on heavy variants and gimmicks to boost sales just usually aren’t any good to read. 

Some multiple millionaire should buy all the Action #1's then destroy all but one.  Boom.  Billion dollar comic.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:13 AM, grebal said:

If it wasn't illegal, immoral, and in general just a reprehensible thing to do, it could be interesting to have someone infiltrate homes of most retiring baby boomers to destroy their comic collections before that "supply" might come to the market. 

Traveling all day today and needed the laugh thanks Grebal! 

“If it wasn’t illegal, immoral, and reprehensible, murder might be interesting and effective!” 

Hahaha.  

On 1/30/2019 at 12:53 PM, miraclemet said:

yeah i thought this was the troubling part. The closer the grading company is to the "manufactured collectible" company the sketchier it feels...

67703487_3_x.jpg?version=1545155086&form

On 2/25/2019 at 8:51 AM, kav said:

Some multiple millionaire should buy all the Action #1's then destroy all but one.  Boom.  Billion dollar comic.

But then he will have effectively taken them all off the market so there would be no need to destroy them. 

On 1/29/2019 at 9:39 AM, jcjames said:

From Bleeding Cool: 

The Comic Mint Destroying Copies of Detective Comics #1000

"In honor of Batman’s 80th anniversary we are proud to present the ultimate edition limited to 180 individually numbered CBCS 9.8 color virgin non-signed copies for 219.95 each.

As with all our ultimate editions, CBCS will take possession of every copy ordered and received by us, verify the numbers, and permanently dispose of any overage in excess of the 180 9.8 copies. The CBCS label will contain language verifying that this has occurred."

The concept of doing an Exclusive print run and then on purpose damaging 75% of the run. Including the Grading company agreeing to this practice is unethical and needs to stop. Regardless of both parties agreeing to destroy a part of the run. The “Off the press” print runs still remains at 1500 copies (or 1000) and the publisher will keep that count in their total run of that issue.

You can’t just change the numbers at will. This includes the fact that you are destroying additional 9.8 by limiting it to 180 copies only. This practice needs to end. The Publishers needs to be aware of this. Any parent company should be notifed as well. The creative team (all parties) should also be aware of the price gauging. This doesn’t fall under “Supply and Demand” if your're self-destroying your own product to raise the price of the book.....

Yup that's silly

why not just print more and lie about a lower print run like everyone else