• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mask Comics actual pricing
10 10

812 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Most definitely my bad here in terms of the incorrect spelling of the word.  :facepalm:

Yes, you would be mistaken here as both CGC and CCS are owned by CCG (i.e. Certified Collectibles Group) which also owns a whole slew of other authentication, grading, and conservation companies in the other collectibles fields and has been around long before CGC first opened their doors.  :gossip:

Sounds as though you and I both view the collecting of comic books as a hobby to be enjoyed. (thumbsu  From a corporate point of view though and which I do understand, CCG views the collecting of comic books more from a business point of view where what rerally matters is both the top line and the bottom line. :p 

As such, I would much rather prefer a grading system whereby the book needs to be graded only once and done.  From CCG's point of view though, they need to come up with various machinations through twists and turns in their grading systems over time whether it be changes to their grading standards, restoration definitions, labelling changes, pedigree designations, etc. along with creating other additional revenue streams such as CPR, unrestoring of books, restoring of books, signatures, etc. such that collectors will continue to resubmit the exact same book back to them multiple times on a hopefully never ending continuous basis.  As others had said here in the past, we need only have taken a look at what they had done previously in the other collectibles field to have seen what was coming in terms of conflict of interest when they brought out Matt's Classics Incorporated to form CCS.  :devil:

Like you correctly stated above, none of these decisions are made in a vacuum.  hm

Okay so I was mistaken in saying that CGC enacted any particular internal policy with regards to accepting color scraped comics as universal labels. However, as you detailed, CGC has certainly been, at least indirectly, complicit in the culture of deforming comics (among other things). I agree with you on that. 

2 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Okay so I was mistaken in saying that CGC enacted any particular internal policy with regards to accepting color scraped comics as universal labels. However, as you detailed, CGC has certainly been, at least indirectly, complicit in the culture of deforming comics (among other things). I agree with you on that. 

Yes, in absolute full agreement with you here.  (thumbsu

Sadly, although CGC has most definitely done a lot of good for both this hobby and marketplace, there are some shall we say unfortunate policies or business decisions which they have taken that are not really benefitting the purists or long term comic book collectors who are more interested in the collecting aspect of the hobby, as opposed to the monetary aspect of the marketplace.  :(

Well, looks like the Mask Comics are still running red hot as this copy here of Mask 2 sold for $8,300:  :applause:

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%26x%3D47%26y%3D17%26pg%3D120%23Item_1427178&id=1427178&itemType=0#detail

RADB97B5202091_124646.jpg

Then again, maybe this is a bit of a slight decrease when compared to stated recent CL auction results of $5,155 for a CGC 1.8 copy and also a CGC 4.0 graded copy for $16,250.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

:bump:

Looks like it's been awhile since the last posting on this thread here.  :taptaptap:

Is this a sign of a slight cooling or pause in the Mask Comics marketplace as this CGC 3.0 graded copy sold for $7,800 or slightly less than what an equivalent CGC 3.0 graded copy of Mask 2 had sold for back in the CL Auction last Fall:  hm  (shrug)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/mask-comics-1-rural-home-1945-cgc-gd-vg-30-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7239-92061.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F3%2F0%2F4%2F23304446%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

7 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

I was interested to see if this book or the Terrific Comics 5 in same grade would finish higher. Was surprised that the Mask won the day by a sizable 2k margin. 

798294FB-2396-40ED-B7A2-4A8C2A021CD4.png

Well, if you was doing a straight comparison between the Mask 1 and the Terrific 5, than that indeed is a definite shocker in the relative auction results between these 2 classic cover books.  :whatthe:  (thumbsu

Though it would seem to be a low price on the Mask 1 relative to recent sales, than that Terrific 5 must have been an absolute steal at only $6,300 or $1,500 less than the equivalent graded copy of Mask 1.   :luhv:   :takeit:

2 hours ago, szav said:

Unless you’re a big fan of broad shouldered lantern jawed women...it’s not my favorite Schomburg cover anyway.

For example, there's no comparison between the gal on Terrific 5 and the one on Startling 49.

9 hours ago, szav said:

Unless you’re a big fan of broad shouldered lantern jawed women...it’s not my favorite Schomburg cover anyway.

From the facial features, looks more like a man wearing a long blonde hairpiece dressed up in woman's clothing. (:

A Mask 1 blue label 2.5 ended on ebay last night at $6411 but didn't reach the reserve. It was relisted for $6995 or best offer. I wonder if the seller regrets putting a reserve on the auction. 

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

A Mask 1 blue label 2.5 ended on ebay last night at $6411 but didn't reach the reserve. It was relisted for $6995 or best offer. I wonder if the seller regrets putting a reserve on the auction. 

He's also taking offers, for anyone looking for a copy.  It also presents pretty well for a 2.5.

On 1/15/2021 at 8:04 PM, ThothAmon said:

I was interested to see if this book or the Terrific Comics 5 in same grade would finish higher. Was surprised that the Mask won the day by a sizable 2k margin. 

798294FB-2396-40ED-B7A2-4A8C2A021CD4.png

What makes this Terrific 5 a really nice book is the spine.  Very nice for a Continental book.

On 2/3/2021 at 4:15 AM, Ryan. said:

Not sure how eBay works, but if the seller really wanted to sell the book and there was such a minor difference between the final bid and their reserve price, could they simply reach out to the bidder to negotiate something that would make both sides happy?  ???  (shrug)

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure how eBay works, but if the seller really wanted to sell the book and there was such a minor difference between the final bid and their reserve price, could they simply reach out to the bidder to negotiate something that would make both sides happy?  ???  (shrug)

against Ebay policy.