• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hierarchy of Golden Age Comics (2019 Edition)
1 1

58 posts in this topic

On 2/2/2019 at 10:18 PM, Chicago Boy said:

I’m curious as to the top 10 most DESIRED books.  Many might want an action 1 ,Tec 27 , etc but your not going to ask for it if your not swimming at that end of the pool to purchase 

I think that could be really interesting. Sort of like top ten books under 10,000 and a different list for top 10 under 2000, Maybe even a list for books specifically between 50 and 10 thousand.  I really desire an Action #1 but it is so far out of my range I might as well wish for a time travelling DeLorean.

18 minutes ago, ender said:

I think that could be really interesting. Sort of like top ten books under 10,000 and a different list for top 10 under 2000, Maybe even a list for books specifically between 50 and 10 thousand.  I really desire an Action #1 but it is so far out of my range I might as well wish for a time travelling DeLorean.

Get one of those time traveling deloreans, and you will soon have an Action 1 for 10 cents

On 2/3/2019 at 3:39 PM, Mmehdy said:

It's just a matter of time....Cap 1 will top Bat 1 in terms of value and go into #5...20 years from now I would put the book at #3

Why?  Is Captain America inherently better than Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, & Aquaman/Green-Arrow?  Is it because 'Avengers' movies get the most box-office?  Does rarity factor in?  AA16 & MF73 are Gerber 7, and the rest are 6 I think.  The census reflects this...with Cap1 & AS8 having the most copies.

Anyone else can chime-in too on what they think will drive the prices 10-20 years from now.

Edit:  Cap1 & AS8 are Gerber 5.

Edited by JM2
I looked up the Gerber ratings.

56 minutes ago, JM2 said:

Why?  Is Captain America inherently better than Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, & Aquaman/Green-Arrow?  Is it because 'Avengers' movies get the most box-office?  Does rarity factor in?  AA16 & MF73 are Gerber 7, and the rest are 6 I think.  The census reflects this...with Cap1 & AS8 having the most copies.

Anyone else can chime-in too on what they think will drive the prices 10-20 years from now.

Cap 1 gets the nod for me because of the almost continued popularity since the inception ( minus the hiccup in the 50’s) and its the same charachter ( unlike FLASH and GL )  it’s cover gives it the boost for me over MF 73 and AS 8.  Cap 1 and AS 8 certainly are more readily available but Flash 1 and AA 16 have increased in availability ( and census numbers) over the last 5 years 

7 hours ago, JM2 said:

more copies mean higher turnover and this market price is current thus a greater chance to grow in price..and content wise the book is much better than the others you listed.

Edited by Mmehdy

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

more copies mean higher turnover and this market price is current thus a greater chance to grow in price..and content wise the book is much better than the others you listed.

Definitely best content out of all of them. 

In trying to understand the milestones, I know Bat 1 introduced some of his greatest villains, Catwoman and the Joker. Does anyone know if this book was on the stands at the same time Superman’s nemesis Lex Luthor was introduced in Action 23? If not, which came first? 

Were there any major mainstream villains introduced before these 3?

thanks in advance 

On 2/9/2019 at 3:58 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

In trying to understand the milestones, I know Bat 1 introduced some of his greatest villains, Catwoman and the Joker. Does anyone know if this book was on the stands at the same time Superman’s nemesis Lex Luthor was introduced in Action 23? If not, which came first? 

Were there any major mainstream villains introduced before these 3?

thanks in advance 

Batman #1 was released March 31st, 1940.   Action Comics #23 was released mid-April, 1940, 2 weeks later.  As for whether there were any mainstream villains before those 3, I don't believe so, not that stuck anyway.  The two I can think of are Hitler, who I believe showed up on some covers in 1939, and Darth Vader who showed up a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I'm guessing pre-1940 :).  Centaur, Chesler, Fox...nada.

On 1/31/2019 at 5:14 AM, Forbush-Man said:

The Cap #3 may just be a temporary market situation due to the recent passing of Stan Lee & that issue being his first published work, just MHO. 

Highly doubt this is a temporary market situation since Cap 3 is clearly the second most valuable Cap book by a long shot and has been that way for several years now.  :gossip:

On 1/31/2019 at 9:41 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 1/31/2019 at 9:28 AM, PopKulture said:

Just for kicks, let's see how your 25 stack up against the Duck-heavy top 25 from 40 years ago. Here's Overstreet's list from 1979:

Rank           Issue                            Value

1         Marvel Comics 1                $10,000

2         Action Comics 1                   8,400   

3         Motion Picture Funnies 1     7,500

4         Whiz Comics 1                     5,000

5         Detective Comics 27            4,500

6         Superman 1                         4,200

7         Wow Comics 1                     3,000

8         Captain Marvel Advs. 1        2,500

9         Walt Disney C & S 1             2,500

10       Captain America  1               2,400

11       Batman 1                               2,400

12       More Fun Comics 52             2,400

13       Donald Ducks Tells About Kites (SCE)      2100

14       Boy Explorers 2                     2,000

15       Marvel Mystery 5                   1,800

16       Marvel Mystery 2                   1,800

17       More Fun 53                          1,800

18       Action Comics 2                     1,800

19       Red Raven 1                          1,800

20       Four Color 9 (DD)                   1,800

21       March of Comics 4 (DD)         1,800

22       Donald Duck Tells About Kites  (PGE)     1800

23       Donald Duck Black and White 20             1600

24       Whiz Comics 2 (3)                   1,500

25      Donald Duck Black and White 16               1400

And honorable mention:

26      Mickey Mouse FC 16                1,400

This is shocking 

Not really, as this is a perfect example of how taste and sentiment can change in a marketplace over an extended period of time. (thumbsu

I am shocked that the newspaper strip reprint books had already fallen off the list so quickly because I remember books Like Feature Books #26 with the Hal Foster Prince Valiant reprints used to be near the top of the charts when the Overstreet guides first came out.  Definitely not the case anymore as it's now sitting way down there at only $2,550 in top of guide this year, while Action 1 is sitting in top spot now at $3.8M.  :tonofbricks:

I personally believed the Duck-centric craze in the 70's was really driven largely by Overstreet and some of his close advisors like Bruce Hamilton who was really into them and had a big influence on the guide prices at the time.  Wasn't that long ago when nobody would touch a romance comic or any of the female led titles like Millie, Tessie, Nellie, etc. and yet some of them are selling for 5 figures in today's ever changing marketplace.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 2/3/2019 at 12:39 PM, Mmehdy said:

It's just a matter of time....Cap 1 will top Bat 1 in terms of value and go into #5...20 years from now I would put the book at #3

If it hasn't happened by now with all of the media attention laid squarely on the Marvel and Cap related movies over the past decade, I highly doubt that Cap 1 will be overtaking Bat 1 going forward. 

Especially since the big Marvel character led movies seems to be winding down now and the studios appear to be moving in the direction of drawing on the secondary characters from their huge library for movie ideas going forward. hm

On 2/7/2019 at 7:05 PM, Chicago Boy said:
On 2/7/2019 at 5:38 PM, Mmehdy said:

Definitely best content out of all of them. 

I hope you are not including Bat 1 in your list here? ???

Especially since Bat 1 is seen by most collectors as being the top GA book out there from a pure content point of view.  You just have to read Overstreet's detailed description for batman 1 and compared it to his detailed description for any other comic book in his guide, including Cap 1.  There is really no comparison at all.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, eschnit said:

Batman #1 was released March 31st, 1940.   Action Comics #23 was released mid-April, 1940, 2 weeks later.  As for whether there were any mainstream villains before those 3, I don't believe so, not that stuck anyway.  The two I can think of are Hitler, who I believe showed up on some covers in 1939, and Darth Vader who showed up a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I'm guessing pre-1940 :).  Centaur, Chesler, Fox...nada.

I'm curious as to where you got the Mar 31, 1940 date for Batman 1.  I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm just curious...same question for Action 23 while I'm at it.

Edited by pemart1966

On 1/31/2019 at 10:04 AM, PopKulture said:

It's so much "fun" to speculate on the particular ordering of books that I will never own...   :sorry:

Just a few slight tweaks from Wayne-Tec's original list in forming my top ten. I think Pep 22 is a mega-key, but in my mind it just doesn't depose any of these heavyweights.

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Marvel Comics #1

4. Superman #1

5. Captain America Comics #1

6. Batman #1

7. Whiz Comics #2 (#1)

8. All-Star Comics #8

9. Flash Comics #1

10. All-American Comics #16

My list (if I won the lottery and had money to spend)

1. Action Comics 1 

2. Detective comics 27

3. All star comics 8

4. Captain America comics 1

5. Batman 1

6. Superman 1

7. Flash comics 1

8. All American comics 16

9. Whiz comics #2 (#1)

10. marvel comics 1 (would rather have tec 31 or tec 38)

Edited by Spiderturtle

17 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

That site has April 18, 1939 as the approximate "on sale" date not March 31, 1939.

Additionally, there are photos in the HA archives that show one copy with a pencilled arrival date that reads " a 4/24" and another copy that's stamped with the same date.  So we're back to the source of the March 31, 1939 release date...

Edited by pemart1966

On 2/2/2019 at 7:42 AM, Wayne-Tec said:

After reading some of the feedback, I’d have to agree, Cap #3 belongs somewhere on the list, within the Top-25.

On 2/2/2019 at 11:58 AM, Illustrious said:
On 1/31/2019 at 3:15 AM, G.A.tor said:

From a demand standpoint, been asked for cap 3 much more frequently than 10+ issues listed above...mileage may vary 

I'd love to see you and other Golden Age dealers make a top 25 list based on current demand. :wishluck:

Well, since we are talking about Cap 3 here, any guesses as to where this copy will finished up at in the CC auction tomorrow:

cap1.2015a.jpg

Already at $30,500 or close to 5X the condition guide price of only $6,250. :screwy:   

I keep telling myself over the past several years that Overstreet will eventually wake up and smell the roses and finally realize that Cap 3 is a much more valuable book than Cap 2 in today's marketplace.   :taptaptap:   doh!

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since we are talking about Cap 3 here, any guesses as to where this copy will finished up at in the CC auction tomorrow:

cap1.2015a.jpg

Already at $30,500 or close to 5X the condition guide price of only $6,250. :screwy:   

I keep telling myself over the past several years that Overstreet will eventually wake up and smell the roses and finally realize that Cap 3 is a much more valuable book than Cap 2 in today's marketplace.   :taptaptap:   doh!

You still look at overstreet for prices for grails?  

Edited by Spiderturtle