• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Want to reholder, should I press first to get a bump?

15 posts in this topic

Picked up a Swamp Thing #1 at 8.5 the other day. Old case, graded in 2012. The case is pretty scratched up so I was thinking of getting the reholder service. Question is, should I get it pressed and re-submit for a possible grade bump? The grader notes are: Left Top Front Cover Small Multiple Bend Breaks Color. I see some dents that can be improved, but obviously the color breaking spine ticks will still be there. Any possibility to get to a 9.0? 

IMG_0816.jpg

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

Its a beautiful book. I think I would leave it alone as the cost to press and regrade would be more than the chance of a bump I think. Too Many color breaking spine stresses. Im not saying it wont hit 9.0, just that it's not worth the gamble for me.

Maybe buy the grader notes and see what all the defects were, there are what look like finger bends and folds on the back that would be fixed by pressing. Might be enough to bump it up to 9.0

35 minutes ago, Yorick said:

You can get the plastic out on your own.  The sides of the case are not completely sealed.  You can slip a piece of paper into the side and push the plastic chip out.  I like that generation holder.

Very cool! Did not know that. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Just now, Phish&Comics said:

Very cool! Did not know that. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Don't try to open it too much.  Just enough to slip the paper in.  And you might want to use heavier stock to push a chunk like that.

11 minutes ago, Phish&Comics said:

Got it out! Used a strip of a backing board that slipped right into the side. Piece of cake. Thanks again! 

Good job. The previous generation of slabs was so much easier to work with for stuff like this. The new slabs look great but I don't like them. BTW, I do NOT think you can get a 9.0 on this book, too many hard spine creases.  I would also not want to risk losing your White page designation. Now that the piece of plastic has been removed, I would leave it alone.