• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why people hate most modern books
3 3

447 posts in this topic

Taste is an individual thing. I suggest just going into a comic shop and start looking at the comics and see which artist is appealing to you.

There are a lot of artists working today -- whether it's Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, or the many smaller publishers that are putting out great comics -- that I like, and plenty more that I don't like in the least. 

I love Mignola, but I know that there are a lot of people that do not. I'm not a fan of Neal Adams, but I know that he has a huge fanbase. 

1 hour ago, jools&jim said:

Charest is brilliant, but I've tried to think of someone who broke through more recently, such as Sean Murphy.

A surprise from another 1990s artist was Mike Deodato's work on the recent Thanos title.  For me, his career-best. His artistic successor there, Geoff Shaw, is extremely promising and clearly very talented.

Edited by Ken Aldred

2 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Now that is a comic that could get me back into buying new comics again. 

I used to really like the horror comics in the 70's and I tried to pick up a couple of modern horror comics just a few years ago and the art just made my brain hurt.

I'm a devoted Spidey fan and I've stopped getting the recent issues from 700 except for the recent Red goblin issues, however as I've yet to get the last three issues to complete my collection I've turned to Joker covers. Yes quite a stretch as I've not read a DC since childhood unless it was a horror issue, so I recently bought Justice league 13 and I was impressed at the writing as it reminded me of the Holmes and Moriarty faceoff between the Joker and Lex. It was excellent and the artwork was miles (no pun intended) better than the last 100 or so Spider-man issues,   

JUSTL_13_300-001_HD_5bf360e9219838.35606718.jpg

On 2/6/2019 at 2:59 AM, F For Fake said:

Interesting that the topic has twisted and turned enough to lead us to Judgment Day, of all things. And stranger still to find others (like me) who dug it (Liefeld art notwithstanding)!

I actually loved almost all of Moore's Image work, aside from his terrible Spawn books; his WildCATS run was terrific, as was Supreme, and all of the ancillary titles. In fact, (and I think we've talked about this before) his issue of Wildstorm Spotlight with Mr Majestic is one of the best things he ever wrote, IMO. He managed to give dimension to Rob Liefeld and Jim Lee's ripped off fan fiction characters, which is quite an accomplishment. Need to see if they've collected those stories...

Judgement Day was collected by a company called Checker Comics, a bit more than a decade ago. They also did tpbs of Moore's Supreme run, although I believe the reproduction was subpar as it used scans. Alan Moore's WildCATS was collected in a softcover omnibus, also about a decade ago, iirc. I think it may been have been slightly undersized compared to a regular comic? Perhaps? 

6 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Very nice. 

The panel layout gives me the impression this was a newspaper strip. Was that the case?

A quick search I did only turns up a vol 1 reprint hardcover. Is that all there is so far?

2 hours ago, kav said:

kinda cool but just a Moebius ripoff.

I'd be willing to bet you could throw a rock into a group of younger fans and not hit a single one who knew who Moebius was or his work.

It is what it is (shrug)

1 hour ago, Logan510 said:

I'd be willing to bet you could throw a rock into a group of younger fans and not hit a single one who knew who Moebius was or his work.

It is what it is (shrug)

Well he is 49.  Strangely, he cites Mignola as his influence and his work looks NOTHING like Mignola so I dont believe him.  Moebius city.

There's some of Charest's own style in there as seen in his American material, some manga influence, and a bit of Moebius, the latter not that surprising as Spacegirl was originally in French and he's done work on Metabarons from the Humanoids imprint.

I like his stuff tho.  Hey I like Moebius.  Plus he adds a bit more with some of his well drawn well shaded machinery.  The writing is pretty simple tho.  Girl gonna crash suddenly deux ex machina saves her, bad guy mwah ha ha KILL HER! He's obviously in control so why he saved her just to KILL HER makes no sense.  Meets other guy they defeat bad guy but uh oh things aren't what they seem-  His art deserves better.

Edited by kav

On 2/4/2019 at 11:41 AM, tv horror said:

I don't find the modern art appealing some of those recent covers are just ugh! Just look at these Ms Marvel covers are they trying to go for an art deco theme? It's just plain ugly have a look at John Buscema drawing lines, heck I would buy a comic just to see how the lines got their powers. 

images (2).jpg

images (1).jpg

images.jpg

I agree, those covers are utter dog turd.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:26 AM, RCheli said:

I suggest just going into a comic shop and start looking at the comics and see which artist is appealing to you.

Agreed but one also has to take time to read the comics. Some artists are much better storytellers than they are draftsmen and their artistry shines through how they handle pacing, action, view points, etc.

Faith Erin Hicks' work on her recently completed Nameless City trilogy is a great example of that. Great page turners.

22 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I started reading this Batman series on my Kindle. Surprisingly it is awesome! I was shocked how good it is. Scott Snyder is the top writer now!

I recommend it for someone who wants to try modern Marvel/DC heroes again.

image.jpeg.2504bdecd6eb68c655a52a5f0ac47dcd.jpeg

Agree.  Some good stories in that run.

1 minute ago, chrisco37 said:

Agree.  Some good stories in that run.

Yes. This Scott Snyder is up there with Frank Miller, and Grant Morrison. I can't believe I am just discovering his run now.

DC got a winner with him.

I wonder if Marvel has a modern writer this good?

Because I would read the Marvel writer as well.

On 2/8/2019 at 6:03 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I started reading this Batman series on my Kindle. Surprisingly it is awesome! I was shocked how good it is. Scott Snyder is the top writer now!

I recommend it for someone who wants to try modern Marvel/DC heroes again.

image.jpeg.2504bdecd6eb68c655a52a5f0ac47dcd.jpeg

Amen to that.

and Snyder did a Batman arc that was even better than this stuff:

Black mirror !