Time to boast and brag!! How many of these top 100 Hottest Comics do you own?
8 8

120 posts in this topic

1,424 posts

I presently have 46 out of the first 100.  

41 posts

84/100, but I’ve been collecting for 45 years so I bought most of them when they were brand new—or still pretty cheap as back issues. 

536 posts

A big fat zero and honestly I don't want any of the ones on that list. All I have out of the top 500 golden age is Suspense #11.

1,154 posts

26 of the top 100

4,324 posts

I stopped counting. Those X-Men books really got my numbers up. :banana:

111 posts
On 2/16/2019 at 3:05 PM, 1950's war comics said:

i think i have 4 Ms Marvel #1 alone ... might be time to unload :idea:

Haha I have 3 myself. Probably time for a fire sale

3,710 posts

46 or 47, cant remember which Punisher magazine I have.  I like that list much better.  The first one full of Spidey keys would impress a lot of the monkeys on Facebook, but when old time boardies have flushed all of that for better stuff, it's not much to brag about.

348 posts

Nice list, thanks for sharing! I have either had it and sold it or currently own...all but one.

2,881 posts

31 of first 100, but I have no intention of collecting some of them on the list.

547 posts

45/100.

Out of the ones I don’t have, only 3 books stood out to me as ones I would like to pick up eventually. The other half of the list doesn’t interest me.

23 posts
On February 21, 2019 at 5:14 PM, seredynskib said:

45/100.

Out of the ones I don’t have, only 3 books stood out to me as ones I would like to pick up eventually. The other half of the list doesn’t interest me.

I've also got 45, and like you, I don't have much interest in most the others!

613 posts

32/100. Though the 2nd half of the 80's I when my collecting got sporadic and started to wind down.  For ex I have Spider-Man 295-9 to then 307.....

What was I thinking the month after 299?

5,518 posts

20 of the first 100

547 posts
On 2/25/2019 at 8:24 PM, Chett*Eye*Knight said:

I've also got 45, and like you, I don't have much interest in most the others!

Marvel fans think alike!

52 posts

I spent a few weeks finding and reading the top ten comics from each of the four eras in the list.  Mostly read reprints, some Comixology, etc.

It was a fun project, I looked up the writers and artists who were unfamiliar to me and took my time.

I realize the list is the most frequently traded books and it's weird to use that as a reading list. The list really only speaks to the speculative side of the hobby (IMO) but that was most of the fun for me because I don't like the speculative side of the hobby . I normally wouldn't look at some of these books.  I hoped to stumble upon some cool stuff that I would never find normally and learn some history.

The quality of the Golden Age EC books stands head and shoulders above the rest of the books of any era, IMO.  I am an EC fan and I expected that. I only wish that Al Feldstein et al didn't overuse narration so much in the writing.  It can kill the flow of the visual story and without that one flaw I think the ECs would be perfect books.

No surprises in the Silver Age.  The top 10 were all Marvel.  I'm not a superhero fan but I am interested in what Marvel has done for the comics industry so I've read a lot of those before.  I re-read everything to get it fresh in my head. Fun stuff, occasionally brilliant art.

From the Bronze Age I enjoyed the 1982 Chris Claremont/Frank Miller Wolverine ninja mini-series. It was new to me and made going through the list worth the time to find it. Loved the concept, the art, and the visual story telling but I struggled through a bit of awkward writing around time lapses in the storyline.

From the Modern age none of the books stood out for me. Mostly serviceable, I suppose, but a few were borderline unreadable.  I did think it was fun to see an old Donald Trump reference buried in The Amazing Spider-Man 361 (1992, 1st full Carnage app.)

----------

Ture Hoefner