• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] The poor man's romance thread - LAST CALL! Archie, My Love #1, Beatles, Timely, and a man with a mustache
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Well, everyone else is doing it, so I figured, why not.

Compared to the other romance threads going on, mine will be small and pathetic. But maybe you'll still find something cool to buy? hm

Here are some rules:

1.    in thread trumps PM conversations.

2. In the case of multiple PMs, or take its, I will go by time stamp. 

3. no HoS/probation people please. I'm Crimebuster, not Crimeenabler

4. U.S. buyers only, my sincere apologies to our fine Canadian friends and all our buddies overseas

5. Paypal only! Thanks.

6. please pay promptly, I have a crimefighting monkey sidekick to feed

7. If there's any kind of issue with the books, let me know within one week of receiving it and we can figure out some kind of return. But I don't anticipate any issues!

8. I usually ship via USPS, but for something this size it's possible I may use UPS depending on location and how the price shakes out. Either way, you'll get a tracking number and whatnot as soon as it is sent. 

Edited by Crimebuster

My Love #1 - 6.0/6.5 - $90 $75 shipped!

I bought this as a 7.0, but I'm more comfortable calling it a 6.0/6.5

Issues: it has some minor, color breaking finger bends along the top front cover. There are also some color breaking striations along the right edge of the fc. Additionally, there are a couple non color breaking dings, and one longer ncb bend on the fc which I have included a photo of. On the back cover, there's a finger bend in the middle of the left edge, and some mung on the top left corner. 

Overall, a really nice looking, solid copy with some great color. 

stZzOFi.jpg

l7tFy7y.jpg

4VZfOi6.jpg

Edited by Crimebuster

Summer Love #47 - 2.5 - $31 $26 shipped

Summer Love #48 - 3.5 - $18 $15 shipped

or take the pair for $45 $37 shipped

First, Summer Love #47. This is a double size issue with a Beatles cover. "The Beatles saved my romance!" General wear and tear, plus someone helpfully wrote the 25 cent price in marker in the middle of the cover, but luckily, it's pretty faint:

iCBwqZL.jpg

4HAFnJA.jpg

And then, Summer Love #48, with the infamous bare-chested swinger yanking on a girl's pony tail. This one has a couple faint scratches that run from the text box diagonally down to the woman's chest which are hard to see in the scan:

TMQtfWR.jpg

bvmqmZL.jpg

Edited by Crimebuster

Katy Keene Pin-Up Parade #10 - 3.5 - $29 $20 shipped

This one is rock solid, and complete with all paper dolls and whatnot It has some nice gloss and other than a crunched bottom left corner and some fairly minor creasing in the upper right corner ,it's in really nice shape.

Oh yeah, and some freakazoid went completely nuts with the distributor spray and hosed this thing down front and back. :facepalm:

But it's very solid, with a nice interior, and the central cover image is mostly clean.

8IryIMv.jpg

eYbxSLP.jpg

Edited by Crimebuster

My Romance #3 - 2.0 - $44 $39 $34 shipped

Here's a Timely classic!

As you can see, someone decided to doodle while sending a telegraph or something, and drew a pattern in pencil all over the logo.

Additionally, on the right edge of the fc, there's a tear above the word balloon. The spine has about a 1 1/4" split in between the staples. Both staples are attached - book is complete, centerfold attached - but the bottom staple is just hanging on. Pages inside are dirty, and there's a faint bend through the whole book, which you can see in the third image.

Besides a ton of fantastic Timely art, this issue also has a fantastic letter from the editor - presumably Stan Lee - refuting the assertions of some crackpot named Dr. Wertham. This is back in 1949, mind you! A great bit of comic history.

Plus, I just love that short-lived "Marvel Comic" circle logo.

Not sure if the pencilled letter G in the upper right corner has any significance?

K2HrWwF.jpg

H0LJt8F.jpg

OEAjjb1.jpg

Edited by Crimebuster

Archie #52 - 2.0 - $44 $34 shipped

This is a solid, low grade copy of Archie #52 with a great Veronica and Betty cover. Besides what you can see in the scan, the book has a couple deep bends throughout. The centerfold is also detached. There's a small spline split at bottom, and the cover is (mostly?) detached at bottom staple only. 

Great colors, presents really nicely, and some classic stories inside! I wouldn't be selling if I hadn't just gotten an upgrade. 

IkN6S8Z.jpg

8wEngql.jpg

Edited by Crimebuster

32 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

Stories of Romance #13 - 3.5/4.0 - $90 shipped

Matt Baker! :whee:

Yes, it's another affordable Matt Baker book. This one is a nicer example, both in terms of the condition and the content. Here, we get five pages of Baker art, including a 3/4 splash of one of his lovely ladies. 

A great way to start your Baker collection! Or fill it out! Or just buy it for some other dumb reason, I don't care why!

Here's a look at the Baker interior art:

QeV7Kqs.jpg

zVRwZEB.jpg

And the cover:

le09ECx.jpg

m1zR7nq.jpg

:takeit:

He really could draw the crying girl better than Lichtenstein..2c

45 minutes ago, Crimebuster said:

Lovers #85 - 2.5 - $44 shipped

Matt Baker! :banana:

Yes, it's an affordable Matt Baker comic book. What the what?!

With Baker covers going berserk, it sees likely at some point his interior work will start to catch up, as people who want examples of his work get priced out of collecting his covers.

Here's a good place to start that collection, with this low grade - solid, and complete - copy of Atlas's Lovers #85, featuring a four page story by Baker:

gQSWO6C.jpg

and the exterior:

0lLuKlu.jpg

4ebYTwX.jpg

:takeit:

Okay, a couple more price drops on the Archie, Katy Keene, and Timely books!

I will leave this open until tomorrow morning, after that, I will be forced to take these to ebay.

Please don't make me do that. What kind of monsters would make me do that?!

Are you a monster? Or do you love comics? 

Choose now!!

kirby says.jpg