• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Glued-on piece fell off...how do I reattach it?

17 posts in this topic

Hello!

I'm hoping some of the experts here can help me out.

I've got this painted TMNT cover by Rick Veitch.  In the upper left portion of the image is a street sign that reads "King Hell".  This piece was pasted on originally but it seems that over the years the glue dried out and it has since fallen off.

Can anyone give me a recommendation on how to reattach it?  What product should I use?  Is this something best left for a professional?  Any advice is appreciated.

1691718090_AmazingHeroes171Cover.thumb.jpg.b779176276be0d40292e19c277b6a7d6.jpg

I use Best-Test Acid-Free Paper Cement, other manufactures refer to it as rubber cement. That is what has been used in the past when mounting word balloons on comic art pages. Found in any art supply store or on amazon.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/best-test-acid-free-paper-cement/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=23902-1005&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-8PjBRCWARIsADc18TIyl11w_Okj5jA_6xmqIWLFugx5g_qgjELX14LwlBMevKuQTOzIOz0aAltXEALw_wcB

23855-1004-2ww-m.jpg

3 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

I use Best-Test Acid-Free Paper Cement, other manufactures refer to it as rubber cement. That is what has been used in the past when mounting word balloons on comic art pages. Found in any art supply store or on amazon.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/best-test-acid-free-paper-cement/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=23902-1005&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-8PjBRCWARIsADc18TIyl11w_Okj5jA_6xmqIWLFugx5g_qgjELX14LwlBMevKuQTOzIOz0aAltXEALw_wcB

23855-1004-2ww-m.jpg

Thank you!  This is very helpful.  Already in my Amazon cart.  

I appreciate the advice, all!

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:00 AM, Turtle said:

Thank you!  This is very helpful.  Already in my Amazon cart.  

I appreciate the advice, all!

Use very sparingly and keep the glue away from the edges (otherwise the glue will seep out around the paste-up area).  Once glued-on, place a sheet of paper over the re-attached paste-up and use a cold iron to even out the paste underneath (lift the paper away after you've done that to make sure there's no glue bleeding).  Place some heavy books over paper sheet covering the re-attached paste-up for a few hours to ensure it dries in place evenly.  That's what I do.  2c

Edited by The Voord

6 hours ago, The Voord said:

Use very sparingly and keep the glue away from the edges (otherwise the glue will seep out around the paste-up area).  Once glued-on, place a sheet of paper over the re-attached paste-up and use an iron to even out the paste underneath (lift the paper away after you've done that to make sure there's no glue bleeding).  Place some heavy books over paper sheet covering the re-attached paste-up for a few hours to ensure it dries in place evenly.  That's what I do.  2c

Also take this advice with a grain of salt. DO NOT just try what this person advised without practice on other paper first, or you can seriously damage the art. 

Edited by Phill the Governor
spelling

With the paper/rubber cement it doesn't matter if you put too much on it outside of where you will mount the paper. Once it drys you can rub it off with you finger, wont hurt anything just looks like snot. Best way to use it is to apply a thin layer to the page and the piece you are mounting, get it dry 30 sec to a minute. Then mount it you can detach if you didn't get it just right and try again.

17 hours ago, Phill the Governor said:

Also take this advice with a grain of salt. DO NOT just try what this person advised without practice on other paper first, or you can seriously damage the art. 

"This person" (me) has never had a problem following the advice he's giving, lol!.  

I've been collecting OA since 1982 and have handled well over 1,000 originals.  With that sort of quantity, it's not been uncommon to have come across many pieces that needed stats re-attaching (which I've done using the advice I give, all based on long-time experience).  Key to all this, as I say, is to use the paste very sparingly and make sure to avoid going too near the edges.  Granted, having a trial run is a good idea for the novice.

Here's a recent project.  All the captioned materials were re-attached using the advice I gave.  Notice anything that went wrong?  I doubt it . . .

SDh4d8qS_1708171924471sbpi.jpg

Edited by The Voord

2 hours ago, The Voord said:

"This person" (me) has never had a problem following the advice he's giving, lol!.  

I've been collecting OA since 1982 and have handled well over 1,000 originals.  With that sort of quantity, it's not been uncommon to have come across many pieces that needed stats re-attaching (which I've done using the advice I give, all based on long-time experience).  Key to all this, as I say, is to use the paste very sparingly and make sure to avoid going too near the edges.  Granted, having a trial run is a good idea for the novice.

Here's a recent project, following the advice I give.  All the captioned materials were re-attached using the advice I give.  Notice anything that went wrong?  I doubt it . . .

Too much clothing left on the women.

7 hours ago, The Voord said:

Here's a recent project.  All the captioned materials were re-attached using the advice I gave.  Notice anything that went wrong?  I doubt it . . .

Very cool piece!

I was referring to this statement you made: 

On 2/24/2019 at 8:44 AM, The Voord said:

Once glued-on, place a sheet of paper over the re-attached paste-up and use an iron to even out the paste underneath (lift the paper away after you've done that to make sure there's no glue bleeding).

Advice like this can absolutely lead to someone causing damage: warping, color transfer, color bleed through, etc..

12 hours ago, Phill the Governor said:

Very cool piece!

I was referring to this statement you made: 

Advice like this can absolutely lead to someone causing damage: warping, color transfer, color bleed through, etc..

Ah, right.  Sorry.  I wasn't talking about using a hot iron.  Just applying a little pressure with a cold iron for a few seconds to ensure adhesion is even.  If you've ever used any glue, the idea is to press both sides firmly together. I should have made that clear.

Edited by The Voord

11 hours ago, The Voord said:

If you've ever used any glue, the idea is to press both sides firmly together. I should have made that clear.

Best Practices Dept: Place the art on a very flat stiff board. (Use a level to make sure: perfectly flat.) Then...drive over it, very very carefully, with your car.

Do it right and you'll be all set!

1 hour ago, vodou said:

Best Practices Dept: Place the art on a very flat stiff board. (Use a level to make sure: perfectly flat.) Then...drive over it, very very carefully, with your car.

I once bought a lot (30-40 pieces?) of the Berdanier "How It Began" daily panels, and the owner provided multiple titles and syndicate strips he fabricated to account for ones that may have fallen off.  Worked for him, and works for me and if I detect or restore later such activity on anything, I disclose it when it changes hands.  Best, David S. Albright

3 hours ago, vodou said:

Works best with bald tyres . . .